Someone make me understand the hype

I just gave this a listen for the first time after hearing so much about it, and I have to say that I’m truly unimpressed. It was a real slog getting through the whole thing. Now I’m not the biggest fan of post-rock, but GY!BE has always been one of my favorite bands. Can anyone help me understand what the hype is all about?

Attached: BC3AC67A-2991-43F9-A0E2-AC03E0A135AC.jpg (1000x1000, 43.13K)

People like it for the cool and spooky soundscapes and ambient drones, it has its moments like I Was a Prisoner, Helpless Child, The Sound, All Lined Up, How They Suffer, etc... but it is pretty miserable if you listen to the whole thing

Just keep listening to Surrogate Drone and I Love You This Much loud and frequently

filtered

Listen to their first 3 albums

Oh ok, I though it was a GY!BE type of experience where you sat though the whole soundscape like watching a movie.

Will do

Are you simply unable to justify why you like certain albums more than other?

It is kinda meant to be like that but it's still very tedious to sit through, for someone who doesn't know Swans I'd just listen to the highlights of this album and go further with their other albums to get a better understanding of it

I did appreciate a couple of songs that I would go back to, but I’m still kind of sad that it wasn’t some sort of mind blowing experience as a whole like Lift your Skinny Fists.

Helpless Child is the best song on the album, that is like proto-Godspeed

Can’t do. It will either grow on you or not. Also, funny thing you mention GY!BE, since the same happened to me when listening LYSFLATH for the first few times. It took a while for me to “get it”. Now it’s one of my favorite albums.
If you want something more streamlined, you could try The Seer (maybe even The Glowing Man). Also, if you haven’t listened to it, check out The Knot, from their last live album, sounds great and has some kind of apocalyptic vibe ala GY!BE. You could also listen to Swans Are Dead. I find it made me appreciate the studio album and see it in a different light.

Attached: A879C4A9-E735-4DA5-8545-F81F900D45D6.jpg (640x568, 131.11K)

Gybe sucks dude no wonder you don't like this actual work of art

It's... swans at their darkest. swans have always been about darkness, violence and misery but every record of theirs takes these concepts and deeply rationalize them. There's something different here, music really is "blind" in the sense that it often has no direction and this is what makes this album so emotionally compelling.
This said, it's a Swans album. it requires stomach, perseverance and meditative listening to be appreciated.

I thought it was a metaphor for people who are damaged in some way and have no hope

Yeah, I did find it sounded like GY!BE at times.

I’m not necessarily looking for something with the exact same vibe as GY!BE, I just felt it was a slog to listen to. BBFIII on New Riot is a slog too in my opinion.

I take I’ll give it a few more listens…maybe it does need to grow on me.

>Someone make me understand the hype
Gira used trust fund money to hire a marketing department and hype it.

That wouldn’t surprise me in this day and age. I’m pretty cynical about any music that comes out these days.

Swans are babby's second "experimental" music. They fucking suck, don't worry about it

>forgot to mention Final Sacrifice
what the heck it's one of the best songs on the album

post something good then you who are so wise