/jazz/

let's get a jazz thread going.
Anywhere from US to Germany to Japan.
Right here is Earfood from the Roy Hargrove Quintet.

Attached: 71fTMzpPiyL._SL1400_.jpg (1400x1400, 255.42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=17iF_lT41us
youtube.com/watch?v=GN91tbUnFEg
youtube.com/watch?v=OfShXIYTcmM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm liking freddie hubbard at the moment. I've listened to red clay and straight life so far. Which album next?

obviously first light, but I feel he really peaked at red clay. It's a fantastic record.

An old music teacher from when I studied jazz showed us Bheki Mseleku, since he knew him. This album is one of my favourite jazz albums right now. "One for All - All for One" has an amazing piano solo.

Attached: image_1.jpg (600x600, 290.03K)

cover font looks cool, can't wait to dig into this. thanks for the share.

Why are there only like four jazz guitarists?

wish there were more, I'm an aspiring jazz guitarist.
youtube.com/watch?v=17iF_lT41us

I thought the Hargrove tribute track on the latest Kenny Garrett album was cool, captured that Hargrove-type sound pretty well

youtube.com/watch?v=GN91tbUnFEg

Attached: garrett-sounds-from-the-ancestors.png (1024x1024, 1.74M)

you should at least be familiar with some of his 60's albums. people who generally scoff at fusion-flavored things will scoff at Red Clay and Straight Life

I think some essentials are Open Sesame, Hub-Tones, Ready for Freddie, Breaking Point and Backlash

he was also a very prominent sideman who played on many of the greatest albums of the 60's. Art Blakey's Free for All, Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch, Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage and Empyrean Isles, Bobby Hutcherson's Components and Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil are some essential classics he plays on

Attached: hubbard-breaking-point.jpg (1050x1039, 211.55K)

Awesome! Thank you.

I love how melancholic this is

There's a lot actually, I can give recs if you're interested. This guy is my current favorite guitarist.

Attached: night-songs.jpg (458x458, 39.34K)

I'm familiar with the New York jam session regulars. I'm talking more about the Blue Note era being 50's and 60's. In addition to Grant Green and Wes Montgomery I'm drawing a blank. Even Joe Pass and Jim Hall's best recordings were later on in the 70's.

Yeah, guitar was never as present as other instruments in jazz bands. Still, I think it's worth digging deeper if you're interested. Barney Kessel, George Benson, Ed Bickert, Herb Ellis, Kenny Burrell, Charlie Byrd, those are some popular names.
>Jim Hall's best recordings were later on in the 70's.
As a leader, maybe. But as sideman he played in countless albums by greats like Paul Desmond, Sonny Rollins, Oliver Nelson, etc. His duets with Bill Evans are a landmark in jazz imo.

Herb Ellis is good

youtube.com/watch?v=OfShXIYTcmM

Attached: hello-herbie.jpg (599x590, 105.48K)

Attached: 91Bx4x6HTHL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 348.05K)

for me? it's ethiopian knights

Attached: 5651092.jpg (970x976, 282.4K)

Not who you're responding to. But I'd be very interested in recommendations for guitar orientated jazz made in the last 30 years.

Attached: Opener-e1533156960841-744x800.jpg (744x800, 92.64K)

Adam Rogers - Apparitions
Kurt Rosenwinkel - The Next Step
Pat Martino - Stone Blue
Lage Lund - Terrible Animals
Allan Holdsworth - Sixteen Men of Tain

Those are some personal favorites. Also check out Jonathan Kreisberg, Julian Lage, Gilad Hekselman. Other popular guys are Bill Frisell, Pat Metheny and Nels Cline but I don't like these too much. Maybe some other user can recommend you specific albums by them.

Fantastic. Really helpful

I am that user

Frisell: Where in the World, Have a Little Faith, The Intercontinentals
Metheny: Bright Size Life, Pat Metheny Group, Still Life (Talking)
Nels Cline: The Veil; Currents, Constellations