Indie rock killed rock

Indie rock killed rock.

Attached: Depositphotos_318868658_s-2019.jpg (750x420, 94.24K)

Sometimes I wonder where music is headed, given how many things have already been tried and the idiotic demands of modern audiences. But then I remember I haven't listened to a new album in years so I have no business caring about that sort of thing

Attached: dogicomeback.jpg (1205x829, 144.37K)

I'd argue rock ran it's course and sorta died alongside radio, while "indie" rock is keeping it alive in a much diminished capacity. Or like indie rock is rock's zombie still shambling about, not realizing it's dead.

The so called "indie rock" sound kinda killed everything it touched. That time in the early 2000's where everyone was trying to sound like "Mr. Brightside" was really a downfall. Follow that with the "pop punk" takeover and its been pretty terrible ever since.

That said, there's been a myriad of good, lesser known talent that I've found through Spotify lately like Steve Gunn, Daniel Romano and La Luz as well as their frontwoman, Shana Cleveland, acoustic psychedelic solo works. There's great work out there but they don't have the promo budgets of pop acts, so we don't see them dominating the charts.

Indie rock isn't keeping rock alive at least. Rock is more than just music. There's a kind of corny, youthful energy to it that's just lacking with those guys. Not even just energy. Almost a religion or mythos. Even indie heroes like Lou Reed mythologized rock. But indie itself aren't fun enough to do that. All rock bands Ince shared it, from Little Richard to Reed to Die to GG Allin. You could even say Kurt worshipped rock, while at the same time probably being the final nail in the coffin.

Dio* not "Die"

Very true, there's a serious self awareness to a lot of it nowadays that just doesn't work with rock and roll. When you had weirdo bands like I think "Coven" that did actual Satanic rituals on stage in the 60's or the rumors that Jimmy Paige was making pacts with the devil to fuel his album creation, there was a mysteriousness and mythos to it that isn't quite there nowadays.

Punk killed rock. It never quite recovered to its former heights from that mongoloid takeover

Attached: ramones-blank.jpg (900x850, 171.52K)

Rock music is fine, just because it's not selling #1 Billboard albums at the moment doesn't mean it's dead. No one says jazz or classical music is dead, and that sells a lot less than rock.

Even if it were dead, "indie rock" didn't kill it. The truth is just that less young people are growing up with rock music, plus it's easier and cheaper to make music today in DAWs then to learn an instrument, so people do that instead.

>No one says jazz or classical music is dead, and that sells a lot less than rock.
Because those are solely about the music. Rock was just as much a social movement/lifestyle, mostly revolving around kids. So if kids aren't into it, it's fucking dead.

what's your definition of the polysemic term "indie rock?

do you like kids?

'indie' became a disgusting term sometime in the 2000's when a bunch of good looking upper class college kids started their careers on major labels on the covers of spin and rolling stone and somehow got away with being called indie

I hate indie music so much it’s unreal

Attached: hate face.png (294x299, 156.33K)

in comparison 80's and 90's indie was more raw in the vein of noise rock or post hardcore act

Attached: 1275455027964.png (1118x1294, 549.89K)

>Because those are solely about the music.
Untrue. The idea of jazz as 'pure art music' is viewing the genre from the 50s onwards only. Jazz was popular music for decades before that.

They're probably talking about 2000's "landfill indie" and shit like that.

Because they're definitely not talking about this stuff, or so I hope. The old-school indie scene was dropping the best rock records of its day- Dinosaur Jr, Husker Du, Sonic Youth, etc.

Indie rock today could definitely use more of this- the punk rock muscle mixed with actual songwriting effort and creativity.

Rock is alive and well for everything but white men

pavement nocive influence on 00's landfill shit

emo killed rock.
buttrock killed rock.
what you zoomies call indie rock is laughable.
its pop-rock.

indie rock is pavement, sebadoh, archers of loaf, guided by voices, yo la tengo, superchunk, etc.

Seethe

Attached: a3471928093_10 (5).jpg (715x704, 47.67K)