I’ve listened to every single notable post-punk group and have realised that Joy Division are definitely the best...

I’ve listened to every single notable post-punk group and have realised that Joy Division are definitely the best (regardless of what the contrarians may say.) There simply hasn’t been another band to be able to combine the intensity of punk with really interesting and dark lyrics, while still managing tight controlled instrumentation throughout with one of the best productions in the scene. I dare you to look up the best “band members” of post-punk and you will see that the members will always be highly ranked regardless of whether is bassist or drummer or vocalist or guitarist.

Attached: FC515DB7-EFCD-4BB8-A4B9-B2FA77C89E8A.jpg (960x540, 83.1K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lzZMhAM2SqU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pleb

Attached: R-946038-1464721772-7664.jpeg.jpg (600x600, 153.32K)

>tuxedomoon
Kek. They simply don’t have the consistency throughout their discography as JD/NO. Like once winston tong left, they didn’t really make anything worth listening to. While Joy Division still made some classics as New Order even when Ian died. And among the San Francisco groups Chrome honestly has a much better mix of electronics and punk.

How painfully boring.

but user, new order was superior

It depends on what your focus is. Like each of the members were much more skilled by the time they became New Order that if you don’t care much about lyrics or vocals then I can see someone liking them over Joy Division. But I personally find Bernard’s lyrics and vocals to really drag them back when compared to Ian.

On a lyrics-instrumental relation, I agree that JD is goat, I still don't care for unknown pleasures's instrumentals and prefer other post-punk bands overall

Insofar as dark post-punk bands, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Sound, The Chameleons and Siouxsie and the Banshees are better.

I dont think any non experimental post punk stands up against the wire pink flag and Gof4 Entertainment

experimental post punk sucks

bauhaus >

I travelled far and wide through prisons of the cross
What did you see there?
The power and glory of sin
What did you see there?
The blood of Christ on their skins

Ehh public image limited, pop group, this heat, and a few others are great.
youtu.be/lzZMhAM2SqU
That song is unmatched in its rage fueled delivery

Pleb

Killing Joke. There simply hasn’t been another band to be able to combine the intensity of punk with really interesting and dark lyrics, while still managing tight controlled instrumentation throughout with one of the best productions in the scene

>Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
I find that a lot of their material is just really boring art rock and their earlier noisier stuff just feels like a more tamed version of their Birthday Party material.
>Echo
I don’t really consider them to be dark aside from maybe Heaven up Here which feels more derivative of other groups like JD rather than being actually better than them.
>The Chameleons and The Sound
I feel that a lot of the appeal of these bands are the status of them being “underrated” rather than actually being good. (The same applies to other similar groups like Sad Lovers and Giants, For Against, And Also the Trees, etc.) where most of their music just feels derivative of the more well known groups but they managed to get a resurgence in popularity due to algorithms and people noticing they weren’t as popular as the groups they ripped off.
>Siouxsie
While siouxsie did lay the groundwork for a lot of the darker groups that will arise later. Aside from her theatrics and persona the music wasn’t particularly interesting.

The sound is good imo, even though they are kinda derivative they still managed to make compelling songs, the chameleons are indeed terrible and I guess that's how Joy Division sounds for people that don't like JD

Who do you consider to be the best post-punk band other than JD/NO?

How are they terrible? The songwriting is above average for the genre, as are the vocals and musicianship.

>Aside from her theatrics and persona the music wasn’t particularly interesting.
awful take desu

chameleons are the catchiest of all these bands, not even close. wire are the best overall.

Joy Division is nice, but I think I like The Cure and Echo and the Bunnymen more for sure, and Siouxsie and the Banshees is also pretty great so I might add them too.