What's something that's non-negotiable for you when it comes to respect for one's music taste?

What's something that's non-negotiable for you when it comes to respect for one's music taste?

For me, it's Hex Enduction Hour. Anyone who doesn't consider it The Fall's best album is either disingenuous or does not have a well-trained ear.

Attached: 63e6eb0c[1].jpg (600x600, 79.3K)

All of their albums from 1979-1986 are quite similar in terms of quality.

They're all very good, but Hex Enduction Hour is far and away the best one. It's not up for debate.

I don't trust anyone who doesn't have picrel at least in his top 4 of post-hardcore albums, specially because every "better than jehu" album/band shilled on this board ends up being mediocre at best when I listen to them, even other john reis's projects, while not bad by any means, don't come close

Attached: yank crime.jpg (500x500, 32.55K)

>Hex Enduction Hour is far and away the best one
I disagree desu. This Nation's Saving Grace, Slates, Grotesque and Live at the Witch Trails are just as good, if not better.

>This Nation's Saving Grace
Took off a lot of the edge of their earlier stuff. In hindsight, this, and more broadly the addition of Brix Smith, was the beginning of the end for The Fall. Each album after this was progressively tamer (at least for quite some time).
>Slates
Not an album.
>Grotesque
All the same ideas from Hex Enduction Hour, but less developed.
>Live at the Witch Trials
Definitely not. People just like that it's their debut and that the title and cover art are kino. Musically and lyrically, it's their most juvenile (to a fault) of any album pre-Hex Enduction Hour.

>This Nation's Saving Grace is just as good if not better
Fuck sake.....only great song on that album is Barmy. People only mention that one so much better it's got their best production.

Attached: _91408619_55df76d5-2245-41c1-8031-07a4da3f313f.jpg (976x850, 61.9K)

*so much because it's got their best production
I just woke up sorry

Spoilt Victorian Child, Gut of the Quantifier, and Paint Work are as good as Barmy. But you're right, it gets the attention it does because of the "improved" (read: polished in a way that doesn't benefit The Fall) production.

I'm ok with this.

>Took off a lot of the edge of their earlier stuff
It doesn't matter when the songs are stronger.
>Not an album.
The band considered it one, even if it's mini-album.
>All the same ideas from Hex Enduction Hour, but less developed.
Fair enough, though I songs are about equal.
>Definitely not. People just like that it's their debut and that the title and cover art are kino.
No, I like it because all the songs are great.
You got filtered. Listen to it more. Barmy is barely top 5.

>doesn't mention dragnet
what's your opinion on dragnet? i bet it's the wrong opinion

Disliking this

Attached: F7F9FC4A-7701-4EAA-956E-4491F4D11653.jpg (320x320, 102.4K)

>What's something that's non-negotiable for you when it comes to respect for one's music taste?

Everyone who thinks the Fall ranks among the worst bands ever is cool in my book

>It doesn't matter when the songs are stronger.
Uh, yeah it does? How can you even argue that?
>The band considered it one, even if it's mini-album.
MES had a lot of hot takes. It's an EP. Regardless, it's just below Hex in their catalog. Extremely strong, but not quite as dynamic and monumental.
>No, I like it because all the songs are great.
Yeah, they are, but even on Dragnet all the songs are comparable or better. Yet that gets the black sheep treatment, and I'd wager it's because the album cover is pretty weak. A large portion of Live at the Witch Trials was written by Mark when he was a teenager and it's shows. Too much self-referentialism without the nuance or chops to completely back it up just yet.

Like I said up there, slightly better than Live at the Witch Trials. Flat of Angles is one of their best songs, and Before the Moon Falls and to a lesser extent Psykick Dance Hall and Muzorewi's Daughter are other highlights.
So many people on this board think praising one album necessarily shits on another. The Fall is one of my favorite bands. Everything through Bend Sinister is great.

This is the best album of all time

retards, it’s clearly perverted by language

If you dislike the stones don't talk to me

Now give your opinion on Dragnet relative to Hex Enduction Hour

What would you suggest after Hex? It and some singles are all I've heard after hearing PJ Harvey talk about her favorite albums and I'm already obsessed. Did I fuck up by going to Hex first?

St is better

that and perverted by language + this nations saving grace are the trifecta

I have a personal soft spot for bend sinister

It's worse.
I listened through their discography in order and I wouldn't recommend it any other way. They have a great evolution that can't really be captured in words because it's just their innate rawness getting refined in subtle ways. Even their evolution into shit is interesting enough. So yeah, maybe you fucked up a bit, but you should still go back to the beginning and take it from there. Everything through Bend Sinister is essential. And don't miss their EPs. So start with Bingo-Master's Break-Out! and then Live at the Witch Trials and so on.

>Uh, yeah it does? How can you even argue that?
How can you? I don't care if they lost some of their edge (which I don't even really think is true) if I find the songs stronger on This Nation's Saving Grace than their previous records.
>It's an EP
It's a mini-album.
>Extremely strong, but not quite as dynamic and monumental
You're entitled to your opinion. I find them about equal, but I'm much more inclined to listen to Slates.
>Yeah, they are, but even on Dragnet all the songs are comparable or better
I think Witch Trial's songs are better, personally.
>and I'd wager it's because the album cover is pretty weak
Dragnet has their best cover, imo.
It's right up there too.