Was he a genius or a hack?

i can't tell

Attached: 600x600bb.jpg (595x600, 83.1K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=T-EoO1UolHg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

CIA asshole

he was a genius but not a very patient one, he was driven toward prolific output and I think he got bored with his own work very quickly, if he had focused his talents and ability into perfecting works or if he was interested in transcendent and serious elements of music he would have made great music either way.

A genius in musicality
A hack for ever getting involved with popular music, where his talents did not lay

Definite hack

>he was driven toward prolific output and I think he got bored with his own work very quickly
perfect way of putting it
i can't help but think there's a lot of half-baked things in his discography that i really wish he would've worked more on
you've got fully fleshed out albums like hot rats but then there's others that are just missing something

>at least 4 albums in the top 20 rock records of all time were either written or produced by him

I always thought weird al was pretty gimmicky

Borderline genius I would say. He clearly had a lot on his mind when he wrote seminal albums like One Size Fits All, Joe's Garage and did great live shit like Roxy & Elsewhere. But then he devolved with irredeemable shit like Thing-Fish and Man from Utopia, and went with lowest common denominator bullshit

>when he wrote seminal albums like One Size Fits All, Joe's Garage
???????

genius

Seminal, baby

youtube.com/watch?v=T-EoO1UolHg

it's not seminal if he already wrote similar if not more ambitious stuff in Absolutely Free, Uncle Meat and Burnt Weeny Sandwich

I had sex with him

were you a teenage groupie

Yes

He probably got ideas stuck in his head and felt compelled to manifest them even if they were shitty or annoying so he could “move on” - that’s the sense I get from Zappa, his brain was swirling with experiments , I think he was insecure because he made very serious and emotional music but it was always instrumental , maybe he just didn’t have it to be poetic too maybe

a lot of his orchestral work took years to write and decades to get decent recordings of, the flipside is that he would rush out a lot of albums to pay for it.

very different style tho, mid 70s mothers had a funk/fusion influence that you don't hear in his 60s mothers material.

he was asked about this in an interview once, his response was something along the lines of 'compare me to some jerkoff in a coffee house who's spilling his innermost feelings to a handful of people for a paycheck, who's really the insincere one here?'

Where do I start with Zap after Hot Rats and Apostrophe? Apostrophe's nice but too novelty. And I was most excited for the wacky music going in cause I love stuff like Cardiacs, etc, but Hot Rats is somehow more enjoyable in a totally different way

Grand Wazoo and Waka/Jawaka are in a similar vein to Hot rats, also Roxy & Elsewhere, Overnite Sensation and One Size Fits All are all similar to apostrophe and feature most of the same band but are less lolrandom

I would go in chronological order and listen to:
Freaks out > Absolutely Free > We're only in it for the money > Uncle Meat