/prod/

Neumann Obsession edition

Post what you're looking for in feedback. GIVE feedback to GET feedback.

Upload WIPs to Vocaroo (or any other ANONYMOUS file hosting site). You may NOT link to Soundclouds, Bandcamp - anything resembling self-promotion will be ignored.

Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials
pastebin.com/qtDwktHP

>/prod/ wiki
mu-sic-production.wikia.com

>Mixing Secrets and misc. resources
mediafire.com/folder/64bx81yayqzch/Production

Previous:

Attached: 206436458727.jpg (1326x1070, 207.65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/1iN26CEX7A79
vocaroo.com/19DSfFfQzmVh
vocaroo.com/1aVOAI4DX1U8
vocaroo.com/1aRdWRMYAeCA
youtube.com/watch?v=O5l_f9b59Is
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I "finished" this track but then got self-conscious about the vocals. I don't aspire to be a great singer, but 2:16 - 2:34 and 3:13 - 3:29 really make me cringe. Is it bad enough to warrant re-tracking the vocals (and remixing, and remastering)?

vocaroo.com/1iN26CEX7A79

>mfw you pan your vocals to the right in the choruses

your verse vocals are real dry, but the singing isn't super cringe. you're a little out of your range at points and you could definitely do some more takes and do a better comp.

also you can just pitch correct if you're self conscious. that shit is very transparent now.

Attached: file.png (320x271, 114.89K)

what is the purpose/function of 6th chords?

its a triad with an added 6th. it works the same as a normal triad

makes you feel nice n warm on the inside

it's basically a 7th chord in first inversion so you can think of it like that too. Cmaj6 is C E G A which is a Amin7 in first inversion. either way the 6th or 5th (7th in the A) should be treated as a dissonance unless you are a master composer like myself and the harmony chads in this thread.

are there books on this? quite interesting

theory of harmony by shoenberg is probably the best place to start. you should be able to read music at least a little bit. it doesn't specifically talk about 6th chords because they are really only used as "6th chords" in modern popular music styles, but his psychotic jewish ramblings are funny and insightful and you will understand a lot about harmony if you go through that book front to back. if you want something less dense and better for total beginners get tchaikovsky's harmony book.

>it's basically a 7th chord in first inversion so you can think of it like that too
Kind of, but not really. There's a difference, but it depends on voicing and context.

I had to come here to say that I hate you for posting one of the greatest pieces ever written for piano below one of the most overrated generic firetruck boomshitter shit.

>person a: what is the function of [x chord]?
>retard: it's basically a [completely unrelated chord] in [y inversion] so you can think of it like that too
Stop spreading this misinformation. It just makes you look dumb.

ICYMI: nigger cant into reading

how can this many people have no souls yet be so passionate about something

sis cry all you want Beethoven is kinda a decent composer

tempest 3 is his only piece that holds up

vocaroo.com/19DSfFfQzmVh

vocaroo.com/1aVOAI4DX1U8

Thanks friend, I was going for that sort of fun rock/pop feeling

Are you going for boomerish rock but also soul? I don't care about genre but I like it. It's very earnest and sort of infectious because of it not being all professionally mixed, just a real guy with his music. The countermelody that comes in at 1:18 (and 2:59) is kino and that jazzy note at 1:30 really makes it. Piano solo is nice but I'd mix the subtle introduction of the guitar underneath a tad louder so it sort of mediates the quieter piano section and the louder guitar after. Yeah you could autotune or whatever but the slightly off vocals have some charm. I think the piece is great, good soul, feels like you really put yourself into it. Excellent ending as well, fits the vibe of the track hanging like that. All of the organ(?) and brass/saxes are great I think. I love the style

I'd refer to this guy
vocaroo.com/1aRdWRMYAeCA
See pic related

A regular 6th chord is a major triad with an added 6. Any 6th chord of that kind has the same notes as its relative minor 7th chord
>C6
>C, E, G, A
>rearrange to A, C, E, G
>Am7
Also you can add a ninth to get the wonderful 6/9 chord
>C, E, G, A, D
coincidentally these are the five notes of a C major pentatonic scale so 6 chords, 9 chords, and 6/9 chords give a very open feeling and fit well into oriental sounding music

A minor 6th is just a 6th chord but with a minor third
>Cm6
>C, Eb, G, A
>there's a tritone (spicy) between the Eb and the A
>same notes as Am7b5 (A minor 7 flat 5)
>A, C, Eb, G

In a major key, the m6 chord only appears naturally on the 2nd scale degree
>in C
>D, F, A, B
> Dm6
it contains the same notes as the m7b5 which occurs on the 7th degree
>B, D, F, A

There are other 6th chords named after different countries, they're all much more tense and play different roles. Music is magic, learn in practice

Attached: fun.jpg (754x886, 153.84K)

as opposed to ravel who has such hits as
>1/3rd of gaspard
>bolero

nah, that nigga only ever wrote one good piece:
youtube.com/watch?v=O5l_f9b59Is

>There are other 6th chords named after different countries
I wouldn't consider augmented 6th chords related.
Also not to be confused with augmented chords.
Augmented 6th chords that are often named after countries are based on the interval of an augmented 6th.

Attached: Augmented 6th chords.jpg (754x573, 114.2K)

i'll give u that one this is really good honestly
time to bitcrush the fuck out of it and call it my own piece

>Are you going for boomerish rock but also soul? I don't care about genre but I like it. It's very earnest and sort of infectious because of it not being all professionally mixed, just a real guy with his music. The countermelody that comes in at 1:18 (and 2:59) is kino and that jazzy note at 1:30 really makes it. Piano solo is nice but I'd mix the subtle introduction of the guitar underneath a tad louder so it sort of mediates the quieter piano section and the louder guitar after. Yeah you could autotune or whatever but the slightly off vocals have some charm. I think the piece is great, good soul, feels like you really put yourself into it. Excellent ending as well, fits the vibe of the track hanging like that. All of the organ(?) and brass/saxes are great I think. I love the style

Thanks so much for the kind words, I'm thrilled you enjoyed it. So you think I can leave the vocals as-is? I'm OK with sounding unpolished in, say, a Jeff Mangum or Dylan sort of way, but I don't want to put out something that I'll be embarrassed by.

How do I cope with the fact that I'll never be good?

What's the best way to record an electric guitar? Do you still need a mic'd amp or can plugins/amp sims get you a good sound?

At the core of my suffering and depression is my failure to succeed and be known for something. For example, creating great music and it being acknowledged as great, making a lot of money and being known as a "big cat", fucking a lot of woman and being known as a "player". At the end of the day I think I'd get. the most and ultimate satisfaction from making music and being known for it. The issue sometimes arises when I fall short of delivering something I'm simultaneously proud of and others are able to enjoy. Even though I strive to be known for something, honesty in my music (i.e. not following trends or not adjusting the music to make it more accessible) and not comprising on what I deliver rises above all else.

Anyone know this feel?

Attached: 1640017592988.png (672x836, 747.71K)