Is it worth using in 2022?

is it worth using in 2022?

Attached: logo.jpg (219x230, 5.69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1147341.html?sid=d06925a829ad670abb72d20a7c371419
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is that a question?

Attached: mental-outlaw2.png (467x618, 235.7K)

In 2022? Probably yes.
In the current year? Who knows.

deprecated by Nix

deprecated by guix

sorry but I like having packages
guix is deprecated by nix

yes.
t. gentoochad

Attached: 2022-09-15-164857_2560x1080_scrot.png (2560x1080, 1.69M)

no
no
gpt-kun is that you?
rust of linux distros
freetarded
>japanese stuff instead of workspace numbers
>useless information on status bar like hostname and gpu ussage
>he needs to open a terminal to take a screenshot, and his 133T haxxor tiling wm makes it so that it either takes up more space than the thing he was trying to capture, or he has to do extra steps to resize or hide it before he can actually take the screenshot
>mismatched gaps on the bottom of windows
>4 minutes uptime
a-user...

seems im not the only one with this question for my CS degree

Attached: D0A90448-6FC0-4C8D-8FAC-556CAD153F63.jpg (750x1190, 415.11K)

Gentoo is a good way to learn it deepper. For a daily use it is a problem due to a long compilation time, if you will use binary packages instead - you will fail the main idea and the soul.

We need to have a cloud distc computing and hats with "make gentoo great again"

If you have a threadripper 64 core beast of a processor, its fine. use flags are awesome. If you only have a laptop, especially with like a celeron or an ARM chip, just forget about it. Gentoo is for the hardware-rich.

Guix 21,290 packages
Nix >70,000 packages

Damn, I had no idea nix had that many.

Its more usable than ever imo

sir..

Attached: gentleman.png (2560x1440, 178.68K)

could you please show me how you can remove systemd from your installation?
can you show me how to build your system with musl instead of glibc?
how can you globally enable or disable certain features of the system?
because until you can do all these it's not even close to a gentoo replacement

*how can you globally enable or disable certain compile-time features of the system?
that's what I meant, basically something similar to global USE flags

Yes.

If you have a lot of time, otherwise no. You'll waste half a day at time trying to compile a browser only for it to break.

Noone had been surprised by this perfect idea: forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1147341.html?sid=d06925a829ad670abb72d20a7c371419

Of course the name was just 4 fun and for the viral social network activity about, we can chose another name, but noone interested.

I am too dumb and lazy to do it alone at the same time. Why don't you want to do something like this?

Attached: 16624081407530.jpg (568x570, 95.98K)

I ran it up until this spring on a T500, a 2.something GHz C2D with 4GB of RAM. Firefox was a pain in the ass (thanks, you rustrannies) but that was the only thing I had to just let compile overnight. even that was a minor inconvenience

yeah if you're an updooter and want to run ~amd64 and update every single day you might have a bad time on a slow machine. but that's retarded, so just don't do it.

It takes ~10 hours to compile the kernel on my ARM laptop. I only know because I figured I'd use it as a stress test. Its really just not usable i you want security fixes etc when they come out if you're on old or low powered hardware. I've thought about setting up a little server to cross-compile all my updates and handle it that way, but honestly it seems too much work. If I ran everything gentoo, I probably would though. I think either you're in or you're out, and right now I'm out. But gentoo is amazing though. No other distro gives you what gentoo does.

distcc does work, and it helps. but not everything uses it and it's more suited to things with a static network location (as opposed to laptops)

nice if you just want some VMs though