/twg/ - Tech Workers General

Thread for those of us who actually work in tech to tell workplace stories, complain about coworkers and management, share advice on how to progress in careers, and discuss the technologies we use at our cagies.

>Getting Started
Want a tech job, but have no degree, skills, or experience? Read these before ruining this thread with basic questions:
christopherming.com/tech-jobs-no-experience/
learntocodewith.me/posts/tech-jobs-no-experience/
Come back once you have informed questions about interviewing, salary negotiation, etc...

>Interview Prep
blind 75 or grind 75 on
neetcode.io/
blog.interviewing.io/

>Resume Stuff
careercup.com/resume

>Salary Stuff
freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/
levels.fyi/

>How to Respond to Recruiter Spam
pastebin.com/WX4b62Jx (embed)

>Layoffs
layoffs.fyi/

>Helpful YouTube Channels
youtube.com/c/ContinuousDelivery
(need more!)

>IRC Channel
#Any Forumstwg on Rizon
kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.rizon.net/#Any Forumstwg

Please suggest more links to add to the lists

>88609056

Attached: doing your work.jpg (720x405, 74.45K)

I worked like 3 hours today in my internship, feelsgoodman

I am in the process of switching my primary client now, the other offered around 80% more money. I will keep the old client for another half a year or so for consulting stuff. How are you doing anons?
t. IT chad

based

doing pretty good, just fapped like the degen I am damn it

how hot is the job market anons

Wish I could - gotta retain my semen to impregnate my wife.

Best cert for a retard?

How do you become a consultant? Just recommend stuff to people?

any entry level cert

If you're in murrica and want to wage in corporate, basically any cert from the big names (Microsoft, Cisco, AWS...). If you are anywhere else or don't want to go to corporate, avoid certs, the amount of usable knowledge they give you is dubious at best. They are only meant to impress boomers and HR roasties.

I’ve started drinking during the day to get through work. I sometimes have a little bit of anxiety or nervous energy throughout the day and I can’t focus on work so I take a few sips of booze to chill out and get work done. Maybe take some edibles and of course smoke cigars through the day while sipping espresso.

Anyone else micro dose alcohol for productivity?

Is it normal for employers to not care about a 6 month gap and not even bother asking for references? I'm passing interview stages and no one has bothered to ask about either.

Over the years I have learned enough to advise on IT related things. I also got to know enough people from different companies, and they recommend me to other companies. These consultant services range from recommending hardware and software, to security measures, budgeting or even legal stuff. It took years and fuckton of work to get to this point, I don't think it's possible to "learn" this. Recommendations is mostly what keeps it running.

I fucked up. I expressed my frustrations in front of the whole team, scrum master and product manager. Time to interview again.

Attached: skinner.jpg (324x299, 9.72K)

update: now they want to fucking call me
as in, on the phone
man what did i get myself into

I'm burning out. I'm sick and tired of half assed the half assed framework at work. Everybody acknowledges the bugs, nobody shares the bugs they find and the work just keeps pilling on.

I'm literally the only mother fucker who knows how this thing works down to the minute detail and I'm now stuck with big fixing duty...did I tell you nobody tells me what bugs they encounter, I have to find them myself by doing actual projects on top of maintenance.

It's gotten so bad that I'm literally rewriting this shit now. The OGs quit before they finished it.

how do i actually get responses from recruiters
i'm looking for an apprenticeship for a coop training course, any tech job involving any type of sysadmin/security/network will do, but i literally do not get any responses from recruiters in their offers

closest one i had was one who got my resume from my university, decided to send me an email for an interview and proceeded to ghost me after i respond. one month after they call me back like "we forgot to tell you we found somebody"

I've been working at this new place in a new city and everything was pretty nice, people seemed chill and fun at times, nothing out of the ordinary. Today had my first out of work event with them and what the fuck. They all turned out to be quite different, in a bad way. Are all IT people freaks or am I an outcast?

why put terry in codemonkey thread.He would not approve this cia niggers

I mean I'm not an employer but a 6 month gap looks pretty tame to me. I wouldn't bother asking about it either.

elaborate

>slow day
>upgrading some non-important servers
>looking at the rhel boot splash
>"gee, why do we have the graphical splash on? it's useless bloat"
>run yum purge plymouth in some non-important machine and reboot
>splash is gone
>hmm nice
>automate yum erase plymouth* in all servers and go for break
>return to office
>monitoring alarm, production databases down
>oh no
>ssh to one db
>connection refused
>fuck
>open console, try to login, totally broken
>oh fuck
>read output of ansible script
>databases are still on rhel6
>erasing plymouth on el6 erases a all of the base system including ssh and pam
>holy shit I'm in trouble
>oracle service still works however
>not much of a problem but I must fix this mess without stopping the server and nobody noticing
>boss is at a conference call and hasn't noticed the alarm
>booting live media off the table, needs a reboot
>recovering root disk backup off the table, needs a reboot
>hm can you run commands from the vmware tools?
>yes you can, and the tools are still running!
>install the vmware pwsh client
>run some commands to the broken vms, need the root password
>"wrong password", as I see the documented root pw for one of them is wrong
>wait, I created the other day an user for a consultant with sudo privileges
>it works, but how do I run sudo with this (non-interactively)
>turns out it is sudo -S download ncat rpm from god knows where (curl works)
>rpm -ivh totally-trusted-ncat.rpm
>ncat -e /bin/sh -l 1337, nc proddb 1337
>fuck yes
>yum install openssh-server
>repos for this machines are long gone, replace them with vault centos6 ones
>yum install openssh-server again
>recover ssh
>yum.log shows I have indeed trashed pretty much the whole base
>reinstall all gone packages, yes including fucking plymouth
>servers are functional again
>drop relevant entries from yum.log and messages
>still haven't told my boss, probably never will

so how was your day Any Forumsentlemen

Delete this duplicate thread, have some honor

Huh, coulda swore anons were complaining HR was grilling them for like 2+ month gaps in interviews