How bad is the image compression on Netflix?

How bad is the image compression on Netflix?
I torrented love death robots, and the image showed a shit ton of compression artifacts at times, completely blurrying the fine details of certain frames.

Attached: 1663259944809.png (2560x1440, 33.62K)

It's not as bad as the image compression of whoever ripped it and put the torrent up.

normies don't see and don't care

it costs them bandwidth and storage to have larger files

they have absolutely zero financial incentive to provide the same quality present on a BD.

Always take BD remuxes over WEBDL's. If you have no option then there is nothing you can do so complaining is pointless.

It's compressed as fuck on netflix, like 3-8GB per season.

Unless they do a physical media release on Bluray or UHD bluray though, this is what you have available.

Attached: 1662260507546.png (495x387, 81.9K)

I expected to see more libx265

>normies don't see and don't care
Are normies actually blind? Im far from being an AV autist and even i can clearly perceive the artifacts without stopping the video or carefully selecting for specific frames

I mean you can losslessly rip from Netflix.
But yeah OP probably gotta shitty reen ode if it's that bad. It's not UHD Blu ray, but honestly most streaming services have pretty decent encodes these days

why?

>Are normies actually blind
Depends, half of them are watching on a 55" 1080p TV from 8-10 feet away, the other half are watching on 55-65" 4k TVs from the same distance, and in either case the image quality will look very similar because the resolution at that distance and screen size just doesn't fucking matter in the slightest.

I use a 42.5" 4k 60hz IPS panel at my desk (about 1.8-2.3 feet distance) and then I have a 65" 4k 120hz OLED (LG C1) that I use for my dedicated home theater setup, but even that setup I use from ~3-4 feet distance at most.

Going to 8-10 feet on screens of this size is just asking to not notice any fine details, and that's what most normies do.

Netflix UHD encodes are much better.
But to answer your question, normies used to download YIFY releases so what do you think?
Streaming services offer MUUUCH better quality than cable broadcasts, which is what they are replacing more than UHD Blu ray imo. And to the normie switching from torrenting YIFY or some fucking DivX 700mbit release with hardcoded korean subs, Netflix quality is amazing.

Meh, even their UHD stuff leaves you wanting in dark fast action scenes, tons of blocking turning shadow detail into blocky chunks of black/grey smeared across the screen.

It's not bad in brighter content though, especially slower stuff like a shot of a slow pan of nature or cityscape.

Netflix UHD stuff is usually ~15-30mbps, compared to an actual UHD bluray at ~45-80mbps, with some movies having bitrate peaks around 120-130mbps..

are you sure you're not looking at a reencode?

Attached: .png (591x41, 12.87K)

Well considering the show is Love Death + Robots, not Stranger Things.

Are you sure you're not retarded?

pic related is stranger things

Attached: 1641572351502.png (502x1395, 407.42K)

I think smart use of DV/HDR on an OLED can help mask this. I don't remember too noticeable microblocking in Arcane. But I mean cable broadcasts are still about 8mbit 720p/1080i using the MUCHHH less efficient mpeg2. no HDR/DV. Watching the HBO max version House of thr Dragon is night and day compared to watching GoT on cable just a few years ago.

When you factor in how good they are with h265, streaming services using 18mbit isn't far off standard blu rays that are about 25mbit h264.

I mean yeah it's no UHD blu ray. But for what it is and what it's replacing I think streaming services are technically impressive imo.
By big pet peeve is shit not getting physical releases, or shit like Disney using a different aspect ratio or a half assed hdr10 master for physical and making people create hybrid releases.
But I mean tonnes of tv shows never came to dvd, and Disney vault was always stupid.

>the only two options he knows are netflix and torrents
lmao streaming giants won

Is this BTN? The UI looks uglier than BHD or BLU... Of course I'm just coping that I'm not in BTN...

>Netflix UHD encodes are much better.

Netflix have a GB/h cap on their bandwidth for users.

"1080p" is 3GB per hour and 4k/HDR is 7GB per hour. 6GB and 14GB for 2h films.

A standard HD BD disc is like 20-50gb in AVC1. A standard UHD/HDR BD is 40-100GB in HEVC.

Those are massively more compressed than what is on the discs. Regular HD probably fairs better due to netflix almost certainly using HEVC while the BD is in AVC1.

wouldnt you like to know

Attached: 1654949536140.png (107x65, 4.99K)

Your numbers seem a a bit off. It's closer to 8.5-9gb.
For comparison, The Irishman UHD netflix release has an average totalbitrate of 20.2mbit/s HEVC. While the Blu Ray release is 30mbit total AVC. They seem to use the same audio track, and DV/HDR arent data intensive. So when you factor in the efficiency gains of Netflixs HEVC encoding it's probably similar in picture quality, and I'd take the Netflix version just for DV at that point personally.
The 1080p netflix version is about half the bitrate and would be much lower quality than the UHD version even using the same HEVC encoding. So i have no idea why youd say that.

And that's a Movie, TV is gonna be much different trying to fit on a disc.

For comparison
The GoT premiere aired at about 7.5mbit using MPEG2 at 1080i.
The later Blu Ray Release had a whopping 19.3mbit AVC video encode
While House of the Dragon had a 17.7mbit HEVC video encode day 1 on HBO Max when it aired

I mean yeah, UHD blu ray is gonna be better. And especially when ripping groups will make hybrid releases using streaming DV data etc, you should grab your movies as UHD Remuxes.
I just think that is an incredibly weird basis of reference. And think it's odd to ask how people are okay with quality that essentially dwarfs it's predecessor and is better than we had at all like less than half a decade ago.

They lowered quality due 'muh covid' and never raised it back up as the sheep accepted it.

Wtf, aren't there only like 5 people that have infinite invites on there? Which means you just /marked/ yourself...