/twg/ - Tech Workers General

Thread for those of us who actually work in tech to tell workplace stories, complain about coworkers and management, share advice on how to progress in careers, and discuss the technologies we use at our cagies.

>Getting Started
Want a tech job, but have no degree, skills, or experience? Read these before ruining this thread with basic questions:
christopherming.com/tech-jobs-no-experience/
learntocodewith.me/posts/tech-jobs-no-experience/
acilearning.com/blog/7-tips-for-getting-into-it-with-zero-experience
firsthand.co/blogs/innovate-with-influence-global-high-tech/how-to-get-a-tech-job-with-no-experience
indeed.com/career-advice/finding-a-job/easiest-tech-jobs-to-get-into
Come back once you have informed questions about interviewing, salary negotiation, etc...

>Interview Prep
leetcode.com/discuss/general-discussion/460599/blind-75-leetcode-questions
neetcode.io/
novoresume.com/career-blog/star-interview-questions
blog.interviewing.io/

>Resume Stuff
careercup.com/resume

>Salary Stuff
freecodecamp.org/news/how-not-to-bomb-your-offer-negotiation-c46bb9bc7dea/
kalzumeus.com/2012/01/23/salary-negotiation/
fearlesssalarynegotiation.com/salary-negotiation-guide/
codesubmit.io/blog/the-evolution-of-developer-salaries/
levels.fyi/

>How to Respond to Recruiter Spam
pastebin.com/WX4b62Jx

>Layoffs
layoffs.fyi/

>Helpful YouTube Channels
youtube.com/c/ContinuousDelivery
(need more!)

>IRC Channel
#Any Forumstwg on Rizon
kiwiirc.com/nextclient/irc.rizon.net/#Any Forumstwg

Please suggest more links to add to the lists

Previous thread:

Attached: 1663196069758..gif (1200x349, 92.59K)

Indians write better codes and become CEOs working 4 hour days than white man who work 10 hour days and writes broken codes

Attached: Indian Dream Team.jpg (790x714, 61.79K)

All of the companies above have white men running them via the board of directors

Indians are a slave class

Attached: 1662741778889827.png (403x590, 62.29K)

>Indians become CEOs working 4 hour days
there are many insults you can throw toward the Indians in the US but lazy is not one of them
they have that Asian mentality where they're 10 hour days and are extremely loyal and subservient to their superiors and will gladly throw away any semblance of work-life balance to make the boss happy
it's something to be admired and it's something to be disgusted by

I have had nothing to do all week but a few small tasks. My timesheet is full of bullshit "learning" (I was actually asleep from noon to 4)

>Come back once you have informed questions about interviewing, salary negotiation, etc...
what does this broken chink speak even mean. please reformat

That sentence is fine. Maybe you're a chink

I have my degree (information science), but the only bites I seem to get feel too junior for me. Lots of IT grunt work stuff that they also hire people who have never gone to college for. What gives? I have on the job experience as well.

Wtf is "Information Science"?

>carpal tunnel in mouse hand
bros...

Attached: a06.png (680x643, 388.33K)

start using vim live the meme

SQL, databases, programming around databases, systems and business analyses, stuff like that. I even did some web development and cyber security stuff.

job has a vscode extension I need to use. Maybe I'll try vscode vim plugin again

KILL ALL PROJECT MANAGERS

Attached: DE20E474-7175-4EAE-8449-8100A15C3503.jpg (349x332, 28.72K)

Is anyone able to ballpark an expected salary for a top secret cleared data scientist? Transferring from a financial analyst w/ 5ish years experience.

Additionally, what are traditional non-salary benefits that are negotiated in IT?

Attached: 1612314615769.jpg (498x573, 48.51K)

>
So like software information systems? We had a program called that, it was a program listed with Computer Science but it focused on like systems (databases, infra, etc.) instead of CS, and you didn't have to take Calculus at all I think, it was basically for the brainlets.

>work-life balance
aka gay pois orgies

how many hours of work did you do today

i don't have a job so 0
i did have a 1 hour interview today though

good luck!

Yes, I specifically took it because I would have failed calculus repeatedly. I've considered doing master's or a post-bac program for CS as it interests me, but want to pay down some of my loans first.

0 and all my meetings were cancelled. I talked to one person on Slack to set up a meeting for tomorrow. I'm taking next week off and don't plan on doing anything until then except that meeting tomorrow.

thanks bro, i'm feeling good about this. they're all replying fast, saying i had good feedback, and asking if there are competing offers without me even bringing it up

anyone work at a really big company where even the simplest tasks are difficult due to all the different codebases and environments?

meetings? several
actual work? basically
the so called "software sector" I work does nothing but meeting and throwing thing at suppliers (who actually get things done)
the burning hatred I have for this place, but I live in a shithole and the payment is ok... I'm fucked

basically none*