Why do people hate on it?

Why do people hate on it?

Attached: 29018B5A-E995-48C9-9ED1-AA5B812F6AED.png (1200x1349, 68.51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uTxRF5ag27A
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because they can't master it

Because they prefer meme languages.

Long term job security
picrel: me irl with our c++ codebases

Attached: 66f9daaa-50a4-4225-977a-3cae0a3cc43b.jpg (728x394, 44.89K)

Too transphobic.

that show was fucking god awful

What actually makes it difficult?

Code can get so buried in classes, operand over writing, templates, etc that you might lose track of what you’re doing with memory. Suddenly you’ll hit a corner case and your whole system will explode.

In C you can do the same thing but you can’t do much obfuscation so it’s a bit more literal on how to find memory bugs.

Attached: C928A28A-34F2-4DF9-B868-3677C024EC79.jpg (850x400, 64.03K)

So the syntax is expanded (from C) for more complex applications with the downside of the code being harder to read and debug, right? Is this why more notable applications and software have been written in C++?

C++ is arguably the most convoluted language ever made. There are a dozen ways to do everything and if you are lucky, one of them is not shit. The committee fetishizes ABI compatibility to a ridiculous degree (even though people working on legacy codebases often stick to older standards) which means most of its kitchen sink features have to be implemented in shitty ways. Using std::regex is slower than shelling out to a fucking Perl script.
If you've ever had a massive ream of text spew because of one trivial error in your code, it's not just because your compiler is shit, it is a direct consequence of how parsing C++ works. That is how much of a clusterfuck it is.
Google is trying to make C++ bearable (Carbon) but it'll take a while.

There are probably more (semi) important programs written in c++ nowadays, but I don't know if those programs (even the sum of them) has the same impact as the operating systems and other software written in C.

Fuck off, carbon shill. Also the errors messages are 100% the fault of the compiler. Just compare Clang to Gcc. Stick carbon up your ass, google shill. The committee did nothing wrong.

If google manages to kill my favorite language with their bullshit, I'll quit software development.

I’d recommend listening to the Lex Fridman podcast where he interviews the creator. You’ll get some insight on the design.

youtu.be/uTxRF5ag27A

Having the ability to obfuscate code can make it simpler to read and debug but sometimes it might hide stuff from you. Since C++ is a mix of handling your own memory and a garbage collector you might end up doing something stupid like a dangling pointer.

I would still rather work in C++ than C but you have to be cautious. It gives you so much control as a programmer but you may end shooting yourself in the foot if you’re not careful.

That’s why Rust is being pushed as an alternative to C++ since memory is handled differently. You have less control on what you can do with memory but it ensures you don’t do anything stupid.

>Since C++ is a mix of handling your own memory and a garbage collector

Retard alert. RETARD ALERT

Attached: 1512062544261.png (200x226, 26.31K)

>Since C++ is a mix of handling your own memory and a garbage collector
C++ doesn't have a garbage collector. Do you mean stuff like RAII? That wouldn't be called garbage collection.

is it worth learning c++?

because it's pretty shitty

Shit my bad, i think I’ve done too much Go these days. C++ has destructors and free

because goys have only suffered with plain c++98 and never tried a nice framework like qt

What do you want to do in your career or free time? Do you want to work on high performant code for systems? That’s what C++ is good at but there’s an argument to try out C first.

Yes I'd fucking love to do that. I don't want to do web dev. But every job seems like it's web dev

>If google manages to kill my favorite language with their bullshit, I'll quit software development.
Good.

>hate on
Why do Americans talk like that?

One field that does a lot of C++/C is semiconductor modeling and performance. You can learn C++, some computer architecture and apply to AMD/Apple/Nvidia/Qualcomm,etc. you have it right fast code. Heck even Google hires computer architects now