Self Taught Programmers

How are things going for you? How did you teach yourself and how did you get your first job?

Attached: R.jpg (995x799, 276.03K)

I'm still reading about C (mostly to check what I don't know yet) but otherwise I still can't find a job
I'm kinda glad that I managed to start a few anons into the habit of reading with those book threads, I'm giving it a good week before making another one

Is C the first language you are learning?

Only the bottom barrel ofthe self taughts go for a job, the actual freelancers stay free & lance around

Yeah outside of one off classes from hs, it's been pretty neat so far
I was hoping to get into kernel and OS development so I've been learning a bit about shell scripting and makefiles too but an user blackpilled me into accepting the fact that I need to use what I've learnt from C to pick up Python and C# if I want to actually get employed (embedded entry level positions don't exist for the self-taught unfortunately)
At least I've taken a class for Python and C# before so the syntax shouldn't be too bad. It's the paradigm shift that I'm bracing myself for

Where do you find good quality freelance work? Upwork is full of people looking for someone who will help them cheat some system, or scrape information on a regular basis, spam a platform... sketchy shit. And they pay very little, if you can get hired, that is.

>How did you teach yourself
Read books
>how did you get your first job?
I applied, got inteviewed, got job offer, accepted.
>Profit.

Based.

Brainlet question but how would one go about freelancing? What websites are good.

Boy. Lesson number 1- dont search for jobs, make a job.
Start developing few different projects under differenthacker names, later, combine them i to onemega project under new pseudonim, monetize it.
Soon you will have people lookingforyou for various offers

How long have you been teaching yourself before you got your first job?

About 6 years... I did a degree (Mathematics and Computing) and had a wagie job at the time.

Do you think your degree had any impact in getting your first job?

>How are things going for you? How did you teach yourself and how did you get your first job?

I changed tack from C and systems to C#/.NET. Jobs are more plentiful for CRUD drones and getting in the door as fresher for anything lower than that is nigh impossible and requiring of more long term effort. I want a job in the field sooner because I hate my current one.

>I've never had a job
How much longer do you really want to live off mommy's tendies?

>Self Taught
I felt for this meme... I need a real teacher.

>Start developing few different projects under differenthacker names, later, combine them i to onemega project under new pseudonim, monetize it.
Why would you go through the hassle of doing them separately, under different pseudonyms, only for you to stitch them together later? Also, why work under a pseudonym at all? I already have a bunch of projects I'm working on, but under my real name. Should they be open source always? How would you monetize your "mega project". Your post is fucking confusing and seems to be fitting your own situation rather than describing a sensible approach to it

I'm about to take a nap. Haven't written any significant code in weeks.

I doubt it. It was the external projects I did that got me an interview. I was actually told this by the people that interviewed me after I'd got the job.

>t. Script monke king
Its like when you speak and think ondifferent languages than your mothers tongue- you think and act differently, concise, to the point, no dressing the bush.
Controlled opposition, which you will take down with your grand project gaining fame and free marketing.
Closed source always.never make an exception to that rule.
Monetize with donations and implement crypto payments to your service. Thats why crypto is here, to help the small guy climb the corporal ladder on his own. Free digital market.

>How are things going for you?
Not great so far. Over the past year, I built a couple SaaS's. one of which makes okay money. Been applying for jobs for the past month, a little over 30 apps, no calls or interviews or anything.
>How did you teach yourself and how did you get your first job?
1. Thought of something simple in scope, le solve a problem
2. Built a software solution to that problem

As a bonus, I then productized said software solution and began selling it. I figured this would also legitimize and validate my self-learning to employers, but no one seems to care yet. At least it makes a little money.