Can someone with music knowledge explain compression to me?

Can someone with music knowledge explain compression to me?

Is there a difference between production compression on a DAW and a compression pedal?

The compression pedals see a whole lot simpler.

Also post your favourite guitar.

Attached: b4fkcqcrUuZMbHuM4umGN8.jpg (1200x675, 124.45K)

Of course a guitarfag doesn't know what google.com is.

>music knowledge
asks about Guitar crap........

no they are the same thing, a DAW is just the one that is never can be the

>Favorite guitar

Different tools for different jobs, different measures for different gauges.... And a variety of "cross mods" inbetween that

As for that... Other, question, google is your fucking friend, spend some time reading, learning to understand a "NyQuist", and familiarise yourself

But generally ; I without possessing this knowledge would assess that the difference in the things is... One works digital, the other works analogue

1979 Strat. This pic has EMG pickups in it but it now has Lace Sensor "Red, White, Blue" set.
I use a real nice stereo compressor. (Rack mount) I can't think of the brand.... it's over in the studio. When you get them set up right, they're really worth the effort.

Attached: STRAT.Resting.......jpg (1280x960, 285.55K)

When I use a compressor pedal is to make all of my plucks equal in volume. I have a heavy hand so one might be louder than the other.
Its used to make everything at an equal level

Compression pedals are bound to their electronics, there's a feel to them you can't have in a DAW. However, DAWs can apply any level of compression with any sensitivity. So in the end, it only matters if you prefer having a pedal with its own feeling, or a DAW which does exactly what is asked of it. The subtlety with a pedal is that it only compresses the input signal whereas a DAW compressor acts on the output of the guitar, so the result changes a little bit.
Like I said, it depends if you want to compress the guitar, or the sound of the guitar. It's a matter of taste.

Where the compression is in the signal chain matters. Some compression pedals act differently than others. Generally there's no real meaningful difference, just how much you compress the signal. This day and age, I wouldn't bother with pedals. Just save up for an amp modeler. Also, playing with a lot of compression isn't exactly a great sound unless you're into the play your guitar like a keyboard thing. I get enough compression out of gain alone, I rarely use it, and usually only a bit.

>depends if you want to compress the guitar, or the sound of the guitar
What?

Shit, that's a lot in a single question lol

I'll skip getting into audio waves and analog vs digital audio fuckery, because I'm lazy as shit.

Compression is just a method of evening out audio. Without getting into wave form manipulation, that's really all it is. I tend to look at it like a tool similar to autotune (actual autotune, not pop style autotune), it's something that can be used to clean up a performance's small imperfections. Those coming from either the player, or from imperfections added to your signal chain. To be more specific, you'd have to look at the specific compressors.

For most people, it's just going to be evening out the volume levels.

Pedal vs DAW or computer side compression is... IDK, it's just preference and what tool you use. Analog vs digital is a dumb debate with how good tech has gotten. And you get get computer based compression that sounds identical to any pedal you'd use. Just about all audio production is done digitally because we can get the same sound quality with less hassle these days.

Just about every pedal I've used has been an analog compressor. And obviously everything on my computer is digital.

As a rule of thumb, I apply my guitar compression to my guitar signal chain to get the sound I want. Then I use DAW tools to refine the final product or make changes as needed. Where the compression is applied matters, but now we're getting back into audio wave manipulation and I'm done writing.

Current two main guitars are a home made PRS style guitar set up for rock and metal, and a customized G&L S500c.

Unrelated, building electric guitars is surprisingly easy with patience, and I highly recommend everyone try at least putting together a kit someday. Super fun stuff and teaches you have everything works. I don't have a picture of either, so here's Chloe.

Attached: 1633114117149.jpg (1200x1518, 343.15K)

Sorry I know it's not clear.

Depends if you want to compress the direct signal of the pickups (using the pedal), or if you want to compress the output signal in the DAW. It's a stylistic difference. I think it's a matter of preference, some may say compressing in the DAW is more efficient but using a pedal changes the tone ever so slightly it can make a difference.
I personally never use compression because it's not appropriate with the music I make. Again, at that point it's a matter of style.

>customized G&L S500c.
G&Ls are already perfect, what did you change on it

G&Ls are great. I never see them mentioned in /gg/ or anywhere else in guitar threads.
I wonder what chloeposter did to his S500.

G&L are fucking great. But what else would you expect when someone like Fender decided that Fender guitars could be better lol

My G&L is going to be 20 years old soon. Its had a lot of work done on it. I've replaced the neck and pick guard, and re-done the wiring completely. But for that stuff I used G&L parts. I got a different set of pickups in it right now.

Totally, my L-1000 is still kicking.
The only thing I did to it early on was swap the neck for a fretless. I hate maple fingerboards anyway, so that made the bass look way better.

That's true! I own a L2000 bass from my uncle, dates back to 1980. Very comfy neck, and all the pickup modes you can choose from are almost overkill.
I'll have it refreted by a luthier soon, and I have to replace the corroded electronics. I love that you can find all the diagrams online.
G&L is the best quality-price over Squier and fender.

I just wish G&L did an L1000 tribute version. I don't need the extra pickup and electronics, just a pbass with a better pickup

Compression is the boosting and limiting of selected frequencies.
I use compression to boost my input signal and overdrive my amp. A pedal can be used for this.
The compression in your daw can be used to boost or limit the input from your miked guitar and can be used at output to limit or boost.

There's a modern version of the L1000, the CLF Research L-1000, that came out a few years ago. But yeah, of all the L1000 you can only find a single 1980 model on Reverb now, it's all gone.
Technically you're neither boosting nor limiting the signal with a compressor, you're just literally compressing it (making the bandwidth narrower for the signal to pass through). To boost frequencies, you'd need a booster (making the signal louder), and to make frequencies quieter you'd need a limiter (shutting down the signal from a certain level). Both of them use compression algorithms but they can't be considered as compressors.
Not to mess with your head or anything, I'm just saying these are different effects and must be considered as such.

Nice. I've never tried playing a fretless bass. It's been on the bucket list to learn, but I've never gotten around to it.

Yeah, G&L's necks are what sold me on it. Its by far the most comfortable guitar I've owned.

And yeah, the pickup settings are great. The S500c can do all 10 combinations of the three pickups, and there's a couple odd ones I really like.

It's probably a compressor/boost combo. I've seen a bunch that have circuits that can do both.

But yeah, strictly speaking compression would prevent overdrive or distortion. If you're narrowing your band, you're never going to be able to push the band wide enough to clip the signal. That's why you (almost) always add compression after distortion in your signal chain.

>the CLF Research L-1000
When I said tribute is because those go for 700 bucks. I don't need a new "quality" bass. I just need something similar I can beat up on the road.
Also, is it true you can order a g&l with any color on their page, you just have to wait a while longer?

fucking idiots posting "just google it" and then explain it incorrectly without googling it themselves. State of Any Forums since all the newfags took over.

When you compress using a pedal it boosts the quiet sounds to the level of the louder sounds of your strings, it evens out the sound as you're playing. When you compress after you record you can only even out the sound so much and then it just sounds like you're fucking around with the volume knob all the time, sounds artificial and you're better off recording an already compressed sound. Compression is shit either way, it sucks the life out of the recording, you're much better off getting an EQ pedal or fucking around with EQ post recording.

You're using post production compression wrong lol

But yes, it does boost the low levels. That's literally what narrowing the wave form does. But its not tied to the loudest level specifically, although some algorithms can do that. Analog doesn't really work that way normally.

Compressor bring quiet noise more loud
Compressor bring loud noise more quiet