Question Any Forums

What are good system requirements to run gentoo at a consistent rate?

My specs:
Intel Core i5 12400F
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ CL16 RAM
Nvidia GTX 970 4GB (Was going to get a 3060 until crypto fags ruined everything)
500GB Samsung Evo 970 M.2

Attached: gentoo.jpg (474x266, 7.49K)

I guess no one here knows or uses Gentoo anymore.

if it's better than core 2 duo, it's fine

I have a setup that is really close to yours and I daily drive gentoo, not a problem desu, just leave it updating while not using your pc and you wont even notice

Gentoo trades compile time for runtime.
Do you want to make that trade?

You can run gentoo more than fine with this config. I used to run gentoo on my old laptop, which has much worse specs than your setup, consistently until an nvidia drivers update fucked my install. Nvidia graphics card will run well if on desktop.

you can run gentoo ln anything

You're going to need at least 32gb of RAM or your compile times will suffer.

I used to run Gentoo on a Surface Book 2, but the laptop is garbage now. I currently run Debian 11 on my personal computer. I’d like to run Gentoo again though. Gentoo’s among my favorite distros. :)

You're asking the wrong question. If you're patient enough, Gentoo can run on even the lowest of specs (you could run it on a Pi), and it'll run better than binary distros
The good question to ask is whether your compile times will be torture or not, and with those specs, they won't for most stuff. If you want to compile your web browser and other large packages, then you will need patience, but those packages have binary versions in portage, in case you are not patient.

>among
s(us)

I did run Gentoo on a Via EPIA machine and a Thinkpad T41p with a single core Pentium M. You don't need a powerful machine to run Gentoo, if you are patient or use minimalist software.

The beauty of C++.

I run it on a T500 with a 2.2ish GHz mobile C2D, with a princely 4GB of RAM. If you aren't running the unstable branch and itching to updoot every day then its fine. Only Firefox and Rust are really a pain.

People think compile times are scary and take hours, but they don't.

Compiling your Kernel with that CPU is going to take minutes and bigger projects always have available binaries. The longest compile time I have experienced on Gentoo so far was clang, taking ~30-40 minutes on my i7 7700.

Does firefox-bin no longer exist? It seems a waste of time to build it yourself.

it exists, but conversely I think it's kind of a waste to install a source-based distro and then install binary packages. I just let it build overnight.

Compile gentoo then run flatpak on it

Gentoo gives you customization, but with the self compiled version of Firefox there is not much to customize anyway. So it makes not much sense to do it.

Main system :
Ryzen 2700x
Radeon 550 (smth like that)
32 GB DDR3 ram
Then I use that system to help compile my gentoo system on my laptop (acer zenbook 14, amd cpu) with distcc and I have a cross-dev environment for my raspi
As long as you have one relatively good system to help with compile times then specs don't matter

Attached: 1644057363290.jpg (3486x1273, 3.82M)

i run gentoo as a daily driver on my single core athlon64 2ghz cpu with 4 gb of ram, really anything works