IT jobs in small towns and rural areas

Is there anything other than helpdesk ?

Hardmode: no remote work.

Attached: nae.jpg (3264x1836, 1.64M)

no you fucking idiot use your brain
are there any software companies in your podunk down? obviously fucking not

remote or moving is your only option. if your county has less than 1,000,000 people you are not going to find a job

you sound like an urbanite. I've lived in rural areas (outside of towns and sometimes very small cities) all my life. I've met plenty of tech guys. Dunno what kinda work they did though. Might only be shit work like helpdesk or computer repair businesses.

I'm fortunate enought that my home town (10k people) has a small tech company headquarters here. However state bullshit and retarded management is making it unlikely it'll still be here by the time I retire.

No, fuck off, we're full.

rural areas tend to have independent ISPs and stuff that need a staff.

Oh yes that is good.
I'm one of you. I just need to know if its worth going into technology.. don't wanna move into a city.

You'd be better off finding something remote unless you are into shit jobs/shit career choices.
Ngmi.

this honestly. t. after getting a taste of work from home my work has been bleeding people who are leaving for full-time remote jobs since the company refuses to entertain the idea themselves. I'm tempted to at least look around even though I only have a 10 minute commute. Could be zero.

lmao don't become a druid in a forest if you're IT until you have high enough remote coding/whatever job

>Hardmode: no remote work.
What the fuck you're excepting to do other than lay down fiber for some ISP? Make a "smart town"?

>is there anything other than shit?
>hard mode: no actual solutions
el mayo reatrd

You could look into your local government, ISP, school district, public library, or move to a college town, but really working remotely while living out in the country is my dream life.

I work remote for a major tech company.

It's doable. I work as a sysadmin at an SMB in a VERY small city 15 mins from my rural small town/village. My total comp is $135k USD/year and I have the option of working from home when I feel like it, which isn't often desu. About 3.5 years of IT experience and it let me afford my first house at 22.

trips check'm

I'd say in short run, no. In long run though.. yeah for sure.

Even helpdesk or smb is evolving, don't give up on IT knowledge. When I started I had to support faxes

You can start your own company and make software for the local boomers, but I doubt you're extroverted enough to pull it off. You'd have to go to a local industry and ask them if they have any current problems and "pains", and try to come up with a software solution and sell it to them.

I had a friend who moved to a rural location and launched a SasS for small animal farm owners, it keep track of your chickens, geese, pigs, etc etc, they growth, they feeding, etc. Entire thing had about 50 users which he charged $20 a month, and ran in a i3 box in his closet.

>the company refuses to entertain the idea themselves
mine has been lax on wfh during covid, but they're slowly hinting about forcing people to come to the office more often.
Retarded boomers still don't get that people don't want to spent 1 hour of their free time each day commuting (I'm only 20 minutes of driving away but getting in and out of the car and preparation etc it comes down to more than an hour)

even with a short commute you save a lot of time not having to pack lunch, put on work clothes, etc

The only thing remotely meeting this description was Sierra On-Line in Oakhurst, California but they've been dead for decades.

I'm an introvert and I can sell myself. Wasn't easy, you need to show your skill, and open up.

Local business, less then 2m away. Took me in 12y ago never left. Food industry.

I work remotely for a megacorp, gonna buy a cottage soon

Hello Games is in a small English town.
Looks like game developers are the way to go.

why wouldnt you want to remote work?
its fucking awesome.