Sideload Freedom

>The Open App Markets Act has successfully passed Senate Committee 21-1, bringing the legislation closer to enactment
>The Bill would require Apple and Google to provide users with the ability to install third party applications outside of the anti-competitive control of their own app stores
judiciary.senate.gov/meetings/02/03/2022/executive-business-meeting-2

govtrack.us/congress/bills/117/s2710
eff.org/deeplinks/2021/08/new-bill-would-protect-indie-video-game-developers-and-app-developers

Attached: 6b5e8afc531c7cdd5811da1a313e72ae--app-store-google-play.jpg (736x552, 23.09K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why google?
You can already install whatever the fuck you want on your android phone, no payment required.

iTODDLERS BTFO YET AGAIN

Attached: 1629929859571.gif (500x1000, 501.74K)

Google already allows sideloading, Apple doesn't,

the laws will affect anyone that manufactures mobile phones, tablets etc.

>The Bill would require Apple and Google to provide users with the ability to install third party applications outside of the anti-competitive control of their own app stores
Can't you already? Just enable installing from unknown source for your file browser app and tap your apk to install it.

Attached: Screenshot_20220203-205516_Settings.jpg (720x474, 84.51K)

I thought you could install outside apps on an iPhone without jailbreaking it. Or at least that's what all the iToddlers piled on me to say when I listed that as a reason I prefer Android.

Well you can with AltStore, but there's a 7 day limit and you need a computer to refresh.

It is not the sole action of the bill.

This bill establishes rules related to the operation of an app store by a covered company (i.e., the owner or controller of an app store with more than 50 million U.S. users).

An app is a software application or electronic service that may be run or directed by a user on a computer or mobile device. An app store is a publicly available website, software application, or other electronic service that distributes apps from third-party developers to users.

The bill prohibits a covered company from (1) requiring developers to use an in-app payment system owned or controlled by the company as a condition of distribution or accessibility, (2) requiring that pricing or conditions of sale be equal to or more favorable on its app store than another app store, or (3) taking punitive action against a developer for using or offering different pricing terms or conditions of sale through another in-app payment system or on another app store.

A covered company may not interfere with legitimate business communications between developers and users, use non-public business information from a third-party app to compete with the app, or unreasonably prefer or rank its own apps (or those of its business partners) over other apps.

The bill provides for enforcement of its provisions by the Federal Trade Commission and the Department of Justice, as well as through suits brought by developers that are injured by reason of anything forbidden under the bill.

Attached: basedfield.jpg (400x400, 33.5K)

Sounds like part of this is in response to Epic's lawsuit against Apple.

It is pro user legislation, it is beautiful that it managed to survive apple and google attempts to kill it.
Write your Senators to pass it please.

>21-1
lmao who was the mega jew

Betcha Apple regrets not negotiating with Epic.

I really hope this gets signed into law. Not to spite Apple, but because I think Google is likely to make their shit more and more closed in order to get more money.

John Cornyn of Texas.
It sounded like his primary problem was the bill was sent to committee instead of a full floor hearing. He then parroted some FBI scare piece about the China Olympic App, even though that is literally on said app store so it is irrelevant.

PLEASE. I fucking hate customers that want a LoB iOS app. If I could just give them an .ipa file it would make my life a thousand times easier.

His real problem is that republicans don't vote for things democrats want out of principle, even if it would benefit his constituents.

You should watch the video, you are wrong.

Needs 4 options deep on separate locations to disable the blockage and install or sideload such apps. Also, fucking packageinstaller.apk is not included in a vanilla AOSP because they fucking want you to install botnet (example is unlegacy android project which has no packageinstaller because it is omegavanilla aosp).

Apple will just cite AltStore.

That'd be funny if they did.

In case you built a degoogled AOSP, you will need to source the packageinstaller from microg which is counterintuitive. I remember back in android 4.x the package installer was native so I can sideload immediately and AOSP 4.x werks outta box.
Now if you build one you will taint your build, have to kang packageinstaller or find a degoogled build of the app. It's a fucking joke.
They should stop with the opensource excuse, it's not like everone else releases their device/kernel tree and opensource the blobs needed (for graphics and screen drivers, mind you the cpu isn't even free unless you use allwinner/freescale which can run on kernel alone)
aupoen sauce is retarded claim since a phone literally only has opensourced components that are the most useless, the gui and some shit, basically it's like claiming dumbphone nokia phones are opensource because of java (which android is just java shitfest and a bunch of other uselessly opensourced components you dont even need).
It does not respect your freedom? Then stop buying crap. Unsustainable e-junk that can't even be opensourced and run a personal aftermarket code since it is bloated by blobs to the point it even kills/bricks and shits itself when you try to test your opensource reverse engineered code.

>You should watch the video
okay but what video?