Trying Artix for the first time. What is an init system, why is SystemD a bad one, and which should I use instead?

Trying Artix for the first time. What is an init system, why is SystemD a bad one, and which should I use instead?

Attached: external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1280x720, 70.54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mkkU1CHI3TY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

An init system is the thing that runs after the bootloader to start all the background processes.
Systemd is the best init system on the market, which is why all the big/mainstream distros use it. Some grognards insist on spamming anti-systemd propaganda everywhere, but really for 99% of people systemd is the best option.

Are there any niche advantages other init systems have? I've read on the Artix forums that runit and s6 are supposed to make the system have quicker boot times for example. What makes Systemd better overall?

>What is an init system
what said
>why is SystemD a bad one
I remember
>a stop job is running ...
being annoying, but i think you can configure it to not do that. I don't need any systemd specific features though so I'm not planning on switching back.
>and which should I use instead?
I use openrc and it just werks

InitWare

>why is it bad
Ram mostly.

SystemD is much more than an init system. I don't like it because I don't like software that tries to do everything.
It's fine for people who don't know or don't care and nice for server management.
I use runit on artix and it works fine, init is such a small part of what you do day to day it's barely worth talking about.

I'm subscribing to this thread

You can do the same thing by ripping out half the daemons on systemd. It's not a feature to be faster, it's the equivalent of gutting the interior of your car to save 100lbs so you can get .05 of a second faster on the drag strip.

>runit and s6 are supposed to make the system have quicker boot times for example
That's really not true. My desktop boots in 800 ms and my laptop (with an NVMe drive) boots in 400 ms. Both are running Arch with systemd, obviously.

Not to mention systemd boot is 10x better/faster than grub.

Systemd-boot is still obsolete, just boot with efistub.

Booting with a boot loader means:
1. EFI loads
2. EFI loads the boot loader.
3. The boot loader loads the operating system.
Booting with efistub means:
1. EFI loads
2. EFI loads the operating system
Notice how we cut out an absolutely useless middle man there? We're not even losing functionality, if you want to access the one feature boot loaders offer, the multiple choice menu, all you have to do is hold F11 or whatever key your motherboard uses to open the EFI boot menu.

I personally noticed significantly faster boot times after switching from arch to artix-runit, however there could be other reasons for that since my artix build is much more minimal than my arch was.
My personal opinion is that basedstemD is probably fine, but if I can avoid it without any real downsides, then why not. There's only ever been one program which didn't work on artix, which was the mullvad's gui launcher thing, but I can just use wireguard for my vpn which is probably better anyway and that's literally the only thing that's ever been different for me. In conclusion, it probably doesn't matter that much, but you probably won't miss systemD

this

Systemd is an upstart init system made by the S6 Corporation, you runit on any OpenRC™ compatible Linux.

If you don't know what an init system is, and you don't dislike systemd besides the memes, there is no reason for you to use Artix over Arch.

systemd is the best one by far

just use systemd if you have to ask and not a sperg

SystemD is really good for what it is. That being said it's a little bloated. It's broken by design with usability and stability in mind. It's function over form. I wouldn't use it as a server init system, but for desktops it's incredible.
>Muh ram
Download more
>Muh big code ken haz hide spyware backdoor sluts 9
After Linux, it's the second most audited code on the planet. Outside of calling the ntp server and asking for the time unencrypted, it doesn't call any other website and it's incredibly trivial to disable this and have it ask the bios for the local time.
People who bitch about systemd also cut their dicks off and molest children.

Use Runit for the smallest footprint and resource usagle otherwise openrc is alright. I've been running artix for over 2 years and its not broken once aside from having dependency issues with a program I added from a third party repo.

s6 wins by far.
youtube.com/watch?v=mkkU1CHI3TY