The Intel Management Engine is a fucking terrifying piece of spyware and i want it fucking gone

The Intel Management Engine is a fucking terrifying piece of spyware and i want it fucking gone.

What is the best, or most modern laptop that i can get where i can remove or at least neuter the ME?

Attached: cpudie.jpg (1000x625, 103.87K)

some fucking thinkpad from 2008

i5 2500k

are the new system76 machines any good?

take your meds

You can't. Glowies will tell you to get core/libreboot, but that doesn't disable the hardware level access.
Just get Tails on a USB if you're really that worried about whatever the fuck you're doing.

i don't want spyware at the hardware level, and seeing as your agency requested they be removed directly by intel before your department uses them, neither do you, glownigger

Attached: glownigger.png (1024x1024, 1.39M)

i didn't ask about how to protect my network traffic, or be anonymous. I asked how to remove/neuter the intel ME, and the most modern/recent devices i could do it on. anyone with physical access to a machine can own it, yes. But i just want the ME's network ability killed at a bare minimum.

"The Intel Management Engine always runs as long as the motherboard is receiving power, even when the computer is turned off."

what can i do about it, and why should i care?

Intel started ME in 2010 so use anything released before that.
If you want to use AMD, they started a little bit later, in 2013 if I remember right.

The Intel Management Engine runs a proprietary version of minix. We have no clue what the fuck it actually does. What we've been told essentially outlines a system that is (as you said) always running, can see keyboard/mouse input, screen data, basically everything. It runs with ring 0 permissions, so essentially any government can force intel to give them access to the god box on your machine, and do whatever the fuck they please with no user interaction, and if they're smart about it, without you realising. I want no part of this.
my desktop machine is running an FX 8350 black edition, i'm good.

macbook air/pro M1

just use a screwdriver

>implying apple hardware is good
i'll give you one thing though, M1 CPU/RAM access is fucking FASTTTT

i like having a working computer thanks, user

>trusting apple with anything

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 76.86K)

but why?

>why don't you want spyware on your machine
guys we found the glowie diversity hire

Since when have they hired ESL's?
Can I speak to your manager, I want to get hired.

>remove/neuter the intel ME
you cannot. you lack the physical manufacturing resources. this is the point. the ME is not just "a chip on the board", it's on-die within the PCH - the modern equivalent of the northbridge. removal of this component will render your CPU incapable of interacting with almost all peripherals via PCI-e, SATA, USB, HDA, and most other things you find valuable.>ME's network ability killed at a bare minimum
not using onboard network adapters is a step in the right direction - but since it can control the system power state, is running while powered even if the system is off, and its host PCH arbitrates all PCI-e and USB I/O, it likely would have the ability to use any non-onboard network devices as well.
once it hits the network, it needs to operate within the standard protocols of your network - your best bet is an extremely strict inbound & outbound firewall policy to limit traffic to only that of which you authorize.
configure your system to proxy all your traffic through another, simpler, non-ME host, and disallow any other traffic to or from the device.
note that if you have direct attention upon you for whatever reason, this will not stop the ME from having the technical ability to access your encryption keys and use the same proxy to communicate through, but i highly doubt this feature already exists as an automatic system, and would likely require someone to be commanding it to do so, which would be hard to do if they can't go through your proxy.

Intel does not put back doors in its products nor do our products give Intel control or access to computing systems without the explicit permission of the end user.
Intel does not and will not design backdoors for access into its products. Recent reports claiming otherwise are misinformed and blatantly false. Intel does not participate in any efforts to decrease security of its technology