/hsg/ - Home Server General

Home Server General

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server
>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.
>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud or seafile to replace Googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.
>Why should I have a home server?
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your Any Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.
>Links & resources
Server tips: anonbin.io/?1759c178f98f6135#CzLuPx4s2P7zuExQBVv5XeDkzQSDeVkZMWVhuecemeN6
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
labgopher.com
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/
forums.servethehome.com
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E
Previous real thread Previous /hng/-spam thread (deleted)

Attached: 1643906714981.jpg (1536x2048, 354.87K)

>the veracrypt user from the nuked thread
i have some icybox cases but generally speaking they are unreliable, if you are going to build a proxmox server just add the hdd's to the thinkcentre. proxmox supports ZFS and you can encrypt that, but as you say it will stay decrypted while the system is on. instead of veracrypt just move the particular files you want to keep secure to a truecrypt locker. you don't need full disk encryption, just move the files to a nas and lock them in truecrypt instead

>tfw didn't notice it was the wrong thread
It's getting a bit ridiculous to be desu. Reposting blog post:

raid5 reshapan agen
4 -> 5 drives
50-60 MB/s this time, previous 3->4 run didn't get such 4x speed bump after 50% as the 2->3 reshape did.
OpenWrt based router works nice, vnstat and nlbwmon seem pretty decent for traffic accounting. I'll just have to find out a smart way to keep track of packages that I've installed myself.
Considering getting a 3x tinyminimicro again, this time to learn Kubernetes in practice by migrating not storage heavy services (Matrix, Minecraft, Gitea, etc.) to it, leaving big server for Jellyfin, torrents and Android building. I think running k8s "production" nodes in VMs on the big server would be a bit silly.

Why are you adding drives one at a time?

whats the cheapest way to build a computation box with a lot of ram. currently i have an older pc i built with 32gb of ram. and its ok for some of the algorithms i run. but there are some i want to run that just require a fuck huge integration. not so many calculations just balloons up the memory needs.

now ive heard i could buy a "workstation" used on ebay or something like that which comes with the memory slots needed. im willing to collect used ram sticks over time until it has enough.

second i run into issues with c++ and memory mapping i think it doesnt like fuck huge arrays either. i wonder if there is a way to make a correction to the compiler to allow just rediculous sized arrays and matricies be addressed in memory without stack issues.

thanks g wizerds

Attached: ohutan46r9241.png (1373x833, 59.2K)

>whats the cheapest way to build a computation box with a lot of ram
The dominating cost is going to be the RAM itself, and ebay is probably your best bet unless you have a better local source. Tons of random cheap servers have a large number of RAM slots. The shitty 1U server I bought for ~$40 recently has 18 slots.

how do i run a game server for me and my friends on unraid and not open my network up to the entire planet? if i open ports its wide open and if i do like a vpn then they will have access to my entire network. is there a way to just connect to the game server instance?

Is the pine64 SBC ok? I'm looking for a high quality SBC that has a variety of tools and the rockpro64 line of SBC has everything i need. Looking for general purpose dev machine that will be operating 24/7 for home server use as well as other project uses too - would just go with a Pi but the supply seems fucked.

Just don't want to get fucked over, noticed that the Pine series is very china but eh.

back in the day me and my mates used to run Hamachi to create a vpn just between ourselves, that way we could play LAN games together over the internet. i guess that app should be available still?

I'd probably just forward the port for their IPs only

I'm migrating from mergerfs+SnapRAID almost in-place (2 spare drives).
>is there a way to just connect to the game server instance?
Yeah, forward a port just to the game server instance. If needed, you should be able to restrict source IP addresses to those that your friends have.
>if i do like a vpn then they will have access to my entire network
I haven't done this myself, but it's possible to put VPN clients on another subnet and tel your router to allow only traffic to your server IP on the game server's port.
>would just go with a Pi but the supply seems fucked.
Offtopic, but is it worth to sell a Pi4 now? It's been unused for the last 2 years that I've been on a big server, but it's also smol and cute and I would kind of miss it.

based jannies

Attached: hng2.png (320x60, 5.72K)

>is it worth to sell a Pi4
If you're really hurting for money it could be

If flipping it for maybe a $100 profit seems worth it then yeah, sure. But it's only $100 or so. I wouldn't, unless I'm that $100 would go directly to another project piece that I am also looking to buy.

pls halp

Attached: 1642429640286.jpg (960x600, 60.72K)

> he watches LTT
Buy a Synology like a good goy.

>pretending he hasn't watched the vid or doesn't know about what happened
Plus it's decent brainless entertainment for when I'm making coffee or on the shitter

in general, is it bad that I find my setup with debian bullseye + nextcloud + plex + smb for local and duplicati for offsite backup to a synology with sftp maximum comfy? I hear alot of larping about other distros, how debian tends to be behind the curve, and probably lame on my behalf but a simple raid 1 for my drives is all thats needed. I can run more but with offsite backups, why? I can be literally crypto'd and pull a full recovery.

Attached: pepepe.jpg (600x600, 45.69K)

There's nothing wrong with that at all. My router runs Debian. It's much better to use a normal Linux distro for this kind of thing than some kind of bullshit idiot-friendly "specialized" distro

True. Only I suppose sin I have is setting up a synology at my parent's house. Reason being is they are more normie than I am, and while Debian/whatever linux flavor is good. When it breaks, weeeell thats gonna be an adventure in itself. Id rather have a pretty box there that just does the thing. And yes, they backup to me over ssh as well using rsync backend (interestingly, though proprietary hyperback seems to backend depend on rsync, might use rsnapshot.)In any event I also manage that for them over the magic of vpn.

ADHD/TLDR: im not larping for ultimate "nas capability" im going for the stuff that just works, and doesnt give me a headache every day.

(original post)
Atm I have a desktop with two fde HDDs (veracrypt). I'am planning to buy a laptop thus I want a NAS. Also I want to access my homenetwork with a vpn, so I can access my data with my laptop If I'am not at home.
My current plan is to buy something like the Lenovo ThinkCentre as a server and put my HDDs into somethink like a ICY BOX and connect them via USB to my server. On the server I want to use Proxmox, host a debian system and inside use docker for a wireguard container and for other future projects.
But my main concern atm is the fde. Since the server is always running I don't want my storage to be decrypted all the time. My idea is to have the decryption key on my desktop/laptop, which exposes the key to the network. The server would then be able to curl the key use it to decrpyt the fde (store the decryption key in RAM) and delete the physical copy from the server. This way the server storage is decrypted while I actively use it, but when I unmount the fde HDDs there is no key left on the server.
Does this sound reasonable and am I missing something?

What do mean with unreliable? I liked the idea of having the server be a rather small box and seperated from the the storage, which naturally will take up more space.
FDE is a must for me, I don't like the idea of having anything unencrypted on my HDD/SSDs

why do you insist on full disk encryption? what sort of added security do you think it brings? how is it any different than locking said files inside a truecrypt container (which is exactly what veracrypt does)