Redpill me on Emacs (long time vim user)

Redpill me on Emacs (long time vim user).

Attached: 1024px-EmacsIcon.png (1024x1024, 152.7K)

bloat.

good OS, only lacks a good editor

vim is a text editor, emacs is an ide

shit
like vim
non grandpas use vscode

it’s based. once you start using it you won’t need anything else

Emacs is meant to be left open for a long time. You live inside of its world.

I know, but I would rather learn emacs than try to transform vim into an IDE like some do.

evil-mode is a decent approximation of vim.

it is not an os
it's a good environment still

you can use vim with a TWM and multiple terminals, or you can just run emacs. its a lazy catchall program. if you use evil-mode you can use it like vim and compile and test programs at the same time

So I've heard. But I'm looking more into split management, file management, fuzzy finding, LSP, and other good GUI features which almost require me to turn vim into an IDE. No doubt I will use evil-mode when trying out emacs.

Although /emg/ is hardcore and says to start your emacs config from scratch, I think that's a very difficult way to get acquainted with emacs.
Instead, I would start with Spacemacs or Doom Emaacs. These preconfigs will introduce you to a lot of Emacs features that would take you years to discover on your own.
They also default to vi keybindings.
It'll feel like vi plus the emacs ecosystem which is powerfuk..

Once you are Emacs'd, you won't go back.

Not true. I still use vim for small edits even while I have emacs open.

thread/

I was looking into trying Doom Emacs. Is setting up your own GUI from scratch difficult?

VS Code is an IDE, Emacs is a VM

It's not too difficult but tedious. Lots of things are hidden and you google for hours only to realize the stuff you found is changed in some earlier version.

Doom Emacs is based until it isn't. That and Spacemacs do a good job of introducing Emacs to the modern world with sensible default. But they add another layer of complexity. Sure, they're easier to use for the newbies, but learning and making your own config will benefit you in the long run.
Starting with Doom is fine. If you want to make your own config, you can start with Witchmacs. It has a better default setting, yet it doesn't too complex to understand. You can also look at other literate Emacs configs around the web, most of them include detail explanation of each config option that is easy to understand and you can use the ones you like in your own config.

your an retarded

Satan wants us all

If you don't know anything about emacs, you won't even know what to look for.
That's why I advocate starting with a curated preconfig so you can see what's possible.
The guys who make these preconfigs know emacs really well, so you can learn a lot from how they've set up emacs.
This will give you a good foundation for writing your own config if that's what you ultimately want to do.
There's also nothing wrong with using a preconfig as your base and adding your customizations on that foundation.
A lot of people do this.