Sparks shoot off motherboard

My PC stopped turning on a few days ago, I unplugged it and let it sit until tonight.

I just tried turning it back on, and there was a pop and an big old spark shot horizontally off the motherboard from around where the ram is, almost hit me right in the eye.

It's an Asus X99, have any of you had your motherboards fucking shoot sparks?

Pic related but I don't see where the sparks are coming from, I don't see any burn marks

Attached: 20220202_173722_compress79.jpg (4032x3024, 1.22M)

if your motherboards shooting sparks at you, trying to take your eyes out, you're gonna have a bad time. Well, in that instance, do a psu swap and see if that fixes it. Bear in mind, pretty much anything on the board or the board itself could be dead right now but I guess there's only one way to find out. But yeah, I'd do it with another PSU for sure.

can i have your GPU?

>that ssd

Attached: 1636646120351.png (761x658, 539.5K)

Not confident it still works

That 290X has been a champ though

I lost the screw to hold it down so it's just been kinda hanging there for a few years, worked fine

I got a new PSU and a "Machinist" X99 board since I didn't enter to drop 3 or 400 on a proper replacement for a system build around a 5930k, though I'm worried testing a new PSU will definitely break anything not already broken.

Can I test it with no CPU, GPU or RAM?

>Install components haphazardly
>Works fine ™
>Motherboard shoots sparks at you in self defence
Maybe if you didn't abuse your computer, it would keep working

I'm lazy and to me that seems like a lot of work. I'd just board swap at that point. At the most for that I'd swap the PSU and take out the GPU and leave 1 ram stick in. If it works fine put the gpu back in and the ram back as you see fit.

It's been running almost continuously since 2014, the last time I turned it off was when I installed the sdd in like 2018. It was fine until this week, never did sparks before.

You've earned it OP. You earned those damned sparks.

I just want to know where they came from!

its old and its fucked, throw it in the garbage and buy a new one.
problem solved.

Its not that old, I was in the middle of Cyberpunk when it died

>2014
>its not that old
its 8 years bro

A 5830k and R9 290X with 32GB DDR4 will play most any game just fine, and is great for most use.

Use a PC from 2006 in 2014 and it'll have felt quite old, but tech since then slowed down a lot

If you let too much dust accumulate over the years it can generate sparks and short circuit your board, dust IS conductive.

In my 15 years of leaving my gaming computer on the floor I've not dusted the inside a single time

the components have aged 8 years and were exposed to constant stress, they have reached their limits.
throw it in the garbage. its old junk.

Yeah, it is rare but can happen

>shoots sparks out of a motherboard
I did this with hard drive power cables back in the day as a yonker and killed a slave drive
>that SSD
>doesn't know where from or what kind of sparks
jesus fucking christ, OP, not only are you a major faggot, you're also too stupid to build and operate a personal computer
buy a new board and be ready to face a dead PSU

>never did sparks before
wow, it's like your shitty jank ass connection worked until it didn't!

The sparks came from the top right of the motherboard near the ram, not anywhere near the ssd