Rust

Why should/shouldn't I learn this language?

Attached: rustacean-flat-happy.png (1200x800, 32.29K)

100x longer compile times

Because its likely to supplant C++ in industry

Because D exists.

Is it ignorant of me to doubt this?
C/C++ have so much momentum behind them that I find it hard to believe that they'd be supplanted anytime soon.

Its not ignorant to doubt it. The biggest reason is just that Rust is much more opinionated and thus its easier to get stuff done in an efficient way in a team environment. For smaller teams Build/Dependency management is MUCH better especially since C++ is a clusterfuck on getting something multi-platform easily.

Biggest limiter in Rust is GUI stuff and Trannies trying to limit what you can do in unsafe.

#![no_main]

unsafe {
}

Attached: 1614438112454.jpg (1100x1200, 93.45K)

Rust is C++ without needing backwards compatibility to compilers and libraries from the 60s. If you are not up to date on Modern C++, Rust is the best way to learn it.
I think everyone should learn it for the same reason everyone should learn assembler, LISP, and Haskell. It's a new pillar in unique looks at a programming language.

Attached: g haskell verbally assaulted.png (1893x806, 712.63K)

Thanks for the insight.
I'm an embedded programmer, so using Rust sounds like a real pain in the ass.

I could continue using C and have all my libraries just work tm, tool chains are all mature, body of knowledge online is extensive when I run into issues, etc.

...or go to Rust and feel like I'm reinventing the wheel for everything.

I guess Rust would probably be much more appropriate for application programming. It's a bit harder for me to just "try it myself" when I don't have much of a use case for it yet, so I figured I'd ask around before I spent time getting lost in the admittedly bizarre looking syntax.

I want to boil that crab

Tbh id recommend C++ over Rust if you only want to dip your toes in the multi-level abstraction languages. Rust’s syntax/paradigms is best described as a mix of Haskell + C++, and its hard to understand its motivation unless youve gotten deep into C++ and understand its faults.

C++ also works much better with C libraries (though Rust does have a decent C FFI) and you wont feel handicapped programming like C or utilizing specific features of C++

Yeah, I have no problem writing C++ or any C variant really. I can understand how some people wouldn't much care for C++ and would want an alternative.

Because you can't trust a language without a standard and without serious grown-up devs developing it, this language known for drama and toxicity and is mostly picked up by the mentally ill or by programmers who are desperate for a replacement for the atrocity that is C++

>by programmers who are desperate for a replacement for the atrocity that is C++
aka the vast majority of devs writing performance critical code

Yes, they try it for a week and realize it's a joke then go back to writing in the least of two evils which they know better, no love lost
If you disagree, if you think they don't go back, please name one relevant program written in Rust

Non-meme answer: It's FotM and the community is full of weirdos

concepts and smart pointers/containers do what rust does no?

Dropbox/discord

>relevant program
>Dropbox/discord
God I hate trannies

citation needed

>programmers who are desperate for a replacement for the atrocity that is C++

Yes. C++ is an atrocity. This is why I choose Rust.

Attached: _.jpg (758x644, 37.75K)

if (You) cannot even in TinyBASIC learning something other is waste of time

Attached: 1641353233349.png (1280x624, 708.89K)