I'm trying to move to linux and it's rough

First of all, yeah this is a way for me to vent.

>Nonetheless, I've been running a semi-private minecraft server on a seperate windows machine for over 3 years now, but the OS started getting on my nerves, so I decided to switch
>I've never tried linux, but well the popculture word is that linux is the 'server OS' and how productivity oriented it is
>So here I went, backing up my files from the windows machine (first fuckup here, that came up just today), and installing ubuntu, as it was widely suggested as the beginner friendly linux distro
>Installation and basic setup went quite well, didn't take too much to adjust, I wiped the drives and formatted them for linuix, then I went installing java, and trying to setup something new, a 3rd party interface for the server.
>Well here comes the fuckup with file backup. THAT STUPID WINDOWS MACHINE COPIED LIKE 10% OF THE FILES, and because I already wiped the drive the files were originally running from, they were fucking gone, welp I had a backup from over a month ago, it's still better than nothing, but my head was in a different mode from then
>I tried installing something called McMyAdmin as the server interface, the dev had a installation command list on the website, so as easy as copy/pasting them, right? Wrong. As I am very new to linux I can't really tell what went wrong, but it didn't work at all, so I just decided to fuck it
>At this point I decided to install discord to chat with a friendly plugin developer, the app installed fine... but
>Can't. Fucking. Put. The. Shortcut. On. Desktop. No tutorials help, nothing works.
>At this point I've done quite alot of stuff on that installation, lost over a month of work on my 'chill server', and most likely lowered my chanses on finals, because I was trying to setup a new OS instead of learning
>I am retarded as fuck, don't get me wrong, but holy fuck this is hard for an absolute newbie

Tl;DR cool catto on desktop

Attached: 272838011_1617639675260143_247798043504488935_n.jpg (2048x1536, 426.71K)

ok

Why would you install a server interface when you use it as it daily driver.
If you want a Minecraft server use headless install and use ssh for remote access.

Well, keep trying. Ubuntu really is the most beginner friendly but also one I absolutely hate. I also went from windows-only to being able to use a Linux distro for schoolwork and compiling my own stuff. It's a learning curve that's not too steep.

That's the thing, I don't use it as a daily, I have two machines, or which I've been using one to run the minecraft server from windows, but my daily still is and prob. will be windows

Attached: 272332140_367057401440633_2325815529112915369_n.jpg (1242x1656, 263.61K)

well, you learned some hard lessons but they will stick with you. But most importantly, why are you using a desktop environment for a server? I set up a bedrock PE server for my kid and his friends and did it on a $10/month digital ocean droplet. I can access and update things as needed through a config file. I'll be the first to admit, it's a very basic server. No mods, no crazy plugins. Is there something about your MC server that requires a gui interface that can't be done via config files? You'd like need to just get a basic understanding of command line navigation and then the rest of the management would be through the mc server config itself.

Linux is really good, and it's fun to learn (not to mention can be a great thing to know if you're in tech) but it's not something you can just dive into with little thought or preparation.

I'm not planning on stopping, running a 24/7 windows machine is an absolute nightmare, and what's done is done regarding the lost files
I just hope I'd done it in a different time than now :/

Install headless and use ssh
Don't need to use some faggot server interface

I can share my Minecraft server run script if I want

Look man it's his first time. He's got to learn how it works and having a window based file browser is probably going to make it easier.

>>I tried installing something called McMyAdmin as the server interface, and got an error.
What error did you get after you put in the command?

>running a 24/7 windows machine is an absolute nightmare,
What exactly makes it a nightmare?

The thing is, even with the GUI it proves to be hard for me to adjust, I don't think jumping right to commandline would be a great idea for someone like me

Attached: 272682167_1603857099964215_4271102200372435643_n.jpg (1242x1656, 173.9K)

Fair enough, the terminal can be very hard. Is it possible for you to go back? If it is, I'd suggest setting up a VM and and getting used to terminal access only, then migrate at your leisure.

>>What error did you get after you put in the command?
couldn't tell you, I wiped the install clean, because I 'played' with some features when I was learning and thought it might influence some things I'd like to do down the line

Nothing in particular, but it's the little things, the updates, the 'weight' of the shit that's running in the background even on a clean install, and well me wanting to go forward with my 'IT skills' or lack there of

Attached: 272316566_482636000051702_588146714476759047_n.jpg (1080x1920, 347.14K)

well, both the OS drive and storage drive have been wiped in the process of setting up the OG ubuntu I installed, so I can go enywhere from here, but this might not be a stupid idea

Attached: 272881594_1726168024381669_4746447303503401926_n.jpg (1080x1920, 191.25K)

Sounds like some worst-case-scenario stuff here, but I'm glad you're still pushing on.
Tried looking into the McMyAdmin, some of the top guides seemed flat out wrong, and it seems like a pain in the ass regardless. Up to you, but it might be helpful to start editing your server files directly instead of using it. But, of course, that increases the difficulty of your already difficult switch, lol.
You (hopefully) shouldn't have to use the command line this early in. However, it's very common to have command line commands in guides since they are universal instead of trying to guide a user through their specific GUI.
Speaking of GUI, do you know what Desktop you're using? It looks like KDE, but I'm not 100% sure. That might be helpful for internet searches, instead of searching for something like "how to create desktop icons in Ubuntu", you would search "how to create desktop icons in KDE", which would likely have much more and accurate results.

Hope you're able to figure stuff out and have a better time than what you've had already. It's an entirely different system, which will make it hard to get used to at first, but if it wasn't so different then there would be no point to using it in the first place.

>Nothing in particular, but it's the little things, the updates, the 'weight' of the shit that's running in the background even on a clean install, and well me wanting to go forward with my 'IT skills' or lack there of

Good for you, expanding your tech skills is a great idea and will open up opportunities for other self hosting opportunities. As for windows, you can manage updates so they dont apply automatically, and you can turn services on/off to reduce things that are running in the back round.

If you have the time, go down Arch or Gentoo. They'll teach you more about Linux in a single month than using Ubuntu will in a year.

Linux has a U-curve when it comes to usefulness and user-friendliness.
It's great for your grandma. Terrible for your normie-poweruser-gamer. But godlike for a tech wizard. Windows is the exact opposite.
You'll find user interfaces dogshit in Linux for any kind of complex task, but once you learn the terminal, you can't go back.

I think I already decided to ditch the GUI idea, and run it in a terminal like a sane person
Speaking of the desktop, that's the GNOME that 20.04 comes with, but with a 'dash to panel' extention, I wanted to make myself feel 'more at home' witht the windows-like look

Attached: 259689740_322424762993726_5486148956876261825_n.jpg (1080x1920, 264.01K)

I'm convinced that anyone who tries to encourage beginners to use arch and Gentoo is incredibly hateful and bitter

yeah, thruout the years of running the server I learned alot about minimazing the windows influence, but I'd much rather not fight the OS I'm trying to work on, thus the iniciative to move

How so?

Hope you are at least an old DOS guy, or at least a new POWERSHELL guy, or something like that.
I hope you are not a "I can't make muh decktop shortcut" guy
Linux has come a long LONG way but it will likely never be that user friendly.

>desktop shortcut
usually /home/user/Desktop is your desktop.
$ln /path/to/executable /home/user/desktop/link

Now there's a link to the executable on your desktop. ubuntu is debian based so go to /bin and $ls -l, you'll see its all links to /usr/bin, with the little arrows. You can do your desktop the same way. I'm sure your DE has some kind of shortcut feature as well though, on KDE I right click on desktop and can create a link to directory or location, or a link to an application.

I started out using linux on an old laptop and liked it so much I run it on everything now. I host my own email, website, VPN, and I'm learning more and hosting more erryday. Got into some amateur programming, linux is awesome but you're going to have to read a book nigger.

its exactly for that reason that you are accustomed to windows GUI that will make your experience on commandline easier than GUI on linux.
you know just enough to be dangerous, see: LTT

>Can't. Fucking. Put. The. Shortcut. On. Desktop. No tutorials help, nothing works.
I kek’d
OP, stop being a faggot and install Gentoo

Neither old or a DOS guy, I've had the most normie IT experience possible, maybe a notch more than the regular person, but still nothing stellar

Attached: 272665433_4834040940009023_9185352368415840679_n.jpg (1242x1656, 209.06K)

this is not your blog

>I'm having trouble riding this bike
>LEARN TO USE A UNICYCLE, IT WILL MAKE YOU BETTER
if you don't have skills for the first, you'll find the second one impossible. Sure, if you can overcome that initial, huge barrier than you will come out on the other side a great deal more talented and skilled, but it's way more likely you'll fuck up and crash and burn. Whereas learning to ride a bike like a normal person will get better results.

Don't know how to help you then, my version of GNOME doesn't even have desktop icons lol. If you installed an extension for desktop icons, it could be more complicated than normal. It might be useful to install a different desktop environment that's closer to your layout, just to simplify things.

>I hope you are not a "I can't make muh decktop shortcut" guy
>Linux has come a long LONG way but it will likely never be that user friendly.
What? I've been on Linux for 6 years and have always used the GUI over a terminal. For the most part, and especially now more than ever, the user-friendliness is there, I don't know why so many elitists like to pretend otherwise.

Thanks for help chaps, in whatever form it may come (I'm looking at you lmao)
as I said I'm gonna persist, because it's not like somthing here is not possible, but it's my lack of knowlage/experience, but it's nice to see some actual encouragement from the community

Attached: 272734326_446420760515520_5208310101702959068_n.jpg (1080x1920, 156.97K)

>how to remote access using ssh
use putty
>how to transfer file
use pscp. example command
pscp -P [SSHport] D:\TEMP\mcserver.zip [user]@[remoteIP]:/home/minecraft/serverdir
>how to edit config files
nano server.properties
>how to run server
example code
#!/bin/bash

servername="minecraftserver1"

#Check for running server
if screen -list | grep -q -w "$servername"; then
#if exists
echo "Server $servername is already running."
else
#if not exist