What's the difference between jpg and jpeg?

What's the difference between jpg and jpeg?

Attached: 1643811091.jpg (491x441, 35.52K)

None

Why the different names then?

Because windows

jpg files are compatibile with browsers while jpeg is the old format used by Micro$oft that was meant to replace jpg in 2004, but their compression completely sucked creating files sometimes 3x larger than jpg compression. They gave up the project in march 2005. Everything I wrote is false.

JPEG is the actual compression method and file format.

.jpg is just a filename extension.

It's like asking what the difference between an executable and a .exe file is.

Do I look like I know what a JPEG is?

the "e"

Cos why limit yourself to a TLA when you can use both a TLA and a ETLA or XTLA if you like.

Attached: 1624315963932.jpg (471x388, 94.25K)

But there is also .jpeg as an extension

What's the difference between OP and a faggot?

Attached: 1623181700001.jpg (248x250, 8.65K)

None.
The correct is jpeg, but since old windows was unable to handle extensions with more than 3 letters, a lot of people was forced to shorten their extensions.

Also, daily reminder that windows still don't support path+file_name size bigger than 250 characters. In fucking 2022.

yes it can, you just need to change a registry flag.
The 250 chars thing is for backward compatibility

>backward compatibility
You mean, backward incompatibility, right?

Also, NTFS should have being purged ages ago. It's unbelievable that such a outdated file system is forced on modern systems.
Why the fuck do people accept that a horrible company like Microsoft hold the world hostage with outdated and insecure technology?

unironically ty for the wisdom user. Now I have another obscure windows fact to sperg about

the average person doesn't know how their computer works. That is the problem

Ok thanks. Grrrr now I'm gonna replace all my .jpg named file extensions to .jpeg because of my OCD

Yeah, I know.
I think that back in windows 7, SP1. The default format option was still FAT32.
At the time I worked as IT support for a insurance company, and the number of people enraged because they "put" a big file, like a movie, or a compacted backup into their thumb drives, and "it was not there" was unbearable.

>tfw just recently renamed all .jpeg to .jpg
Ahhhhhh

Good time to learn a little bit of bash scripting.