Just update every day bro, no maintenance required

>just update every day bro, no maintenance required

Attached: 1643790584297.png (1186x1016, 398.3K)

Holy shit, get a life get debian lts or windows

yeah I use windows and it just works fine

Why did you install both gnome and xfce on gentoo? Most gentoo users probably use a more minimalist window manager instead of a whole de

tfw using comfy Slackware and only update once a month without issues

tfw when using Debian Sid and nothing ever happens because it has a large community full of people who know wtf they’re doing

i like the pretty colors
but i use windows!

Wasn't Gentoo about choice? What if someone wants to make that choice?

not him but i don't think he implied you couldn't make that choice
just that it's a bit odd

bad implication on their part, really. I use Gentoo with KDE and it works great. We don't all use tiling window managers.

You can make any choice you want, but you should expect to deal with the consequences.

Gentoo is meant as a practice tool.

It's a meta-distribution, it's meant for whatever the fuck you want. Some people run it on desktops, some people use it on servers, some use it to construct their own operating system to be used by others (ChromiumOS).

Attached: 1634568827781.png (598x596, 483.43K)

>some use it to construct their own operating system to be used by others (ChromiumOS)
I've always found it interesting that Arch was designed to be what Gentoo is. Arch was never meant to be on desktops, it was meant to be a kind of framework for building new systems. Kinda like FreeBSD I guess but in a more DIY way. I'm not sure if there are any instances of Arch actually being used like that though (by a company). Obviously it's gotten a lot of success on the desktop

Minimalist window managers made sense back when PCs had like half a gig of RAM. Besides having a mishmash of random programs rarely saves any resources compared to a DE built around the same libraries.

Yes.

"Meta-distribution" is just an euphemism for "does everything, but does it poorly".

Practice for what? Learning Portage? Good luck making use of this information outside of Gentoo.

This is some hot bullshit. Arch literally only supports x86_64 and no other architecture.
Couple this with its rolling release bleeding edge nature, and you have a system that is effectively usable for desktops only.

You're right, but you can look it up for yourself. The name means Arch Enemy, as in they were trying to cut at expensive proprietary softwares that made a living off of licenses. It was made for sysadmins. Envisioned in enterprise environments, tailor built for that company and its employees. I never said it was supposed to be for any system, like IoT shit. You can check all this in an interview with the lead dev by the way.

jesus christ. seeing text and code in Notepad is cleaner and nicer. wtf