Is this a failing power supply...

Is this a failing power supply? My PC reboots sometimes when I'm trying to run computationally intensive processes (video encoding/upscaling) on my CPU and GPU simultaneously. I had openhardwaremonitor try and see what was going on, and while temps look OK the voltages look all messed up.

I made a chart showing it; the CPU voltage drops, followed by the GPU voltage spiking, followed by the GPU voltage flatlining. This is soon followed by a crash.

My power supply is pretty old at this point (coming up on 8 years, I think?) and was only a 600W SFX power supply in the first place, so failing power supply was my first guess. It could also be another component though? I'm not a hardware guy so I'm not sure.

Attached: chart.png (1062x631, 75.45K)

are you poor or something? Just replace randomly every part of your computer until it just werks

check event viewer for critical errors. If any are power-related it's probably the PSU.

Probably, I had a PSU that killed several graphics card before I was wise enough to replace it. I thought it had something to do with the voltage dropping too much but looking at your chart it was probably voltage spikes that killed them.

Can also add that it happened while running computationally intensive tasks. One day, after the computer restarted, the GPU would just be dead.

There's no event when it crashes in event viewer, oddly.
Thanks for the info user! I'll probably just try replacing the power supply then. My 2060 Super isn't worth risking in this market.
I knew I should have just gotten a new power supply when I built my PC.

If your temps are fine and it's a sudden reboot with nothing in the event log prior to the restart then yes, chances are it's power related.
You may simply have too much draw on one of the power supply rails. The PSU itself could be fine. Check what's connected to which rails and see if you can shuffle the GPU or all the HDDs onto separate rails. Might save you the cost of a new PSU.

If a GPU load trips the OCP yes its bad.

are you american?
your problem is probably because of your power supply mains rather than the pc
any non american will tell you they have never seen a power supply fail (ok, very rarely) while americans make youtube videos about which psus to avoid.
the truth is its your shit mains supply rather than the psu.

>My 2060 Super isn't worth risking in this market
Absolutely, luckily for me it happened before prices went crazy and after replacing the PSU the system has been running flawlessly for 3 years.

It's a SFX so there isn't really any way to plug things in. Only have one SATA SSD connected, too.
Darn, first my electric kettle takes too long to boil and now this, whatever will I do!? Seriously though, I doubt this is the problem, I have everything connected through a UPS and it will set off an alarm if the power is too dirty (tried it with my generator once) or if it loses power. Before anyone suggests it, the UPS isn't the failing component, I checked that first.

It's not, if his mains was bad he'd have issues with other devices and breakers tripping. Computer PSU is a very minimal load.

>It's a SFX so there isn't really any way to plug things in. Only have one SATA SSD connected, too.
Ah, probably just gonna have to replace the PSU and mebbe step up to a higher wattage to be sure. At least they're a relatively cheap component to swap out.
>I have everything connected through a UPS
Word of warning - I had one (and APC mid-range line conditioning unit) that was just over five years old and the batteries cooked off one day while I was out wageslaving. Fortunately nothing else near it was flammable, but it was close to sending the whole house up in flames. Tread carefully.

what kind of ups, does it just kick in or does it rectify and then invert? i have tested ups's to iec60601 that do not pass as filter devices.
breaking and 'minimal load' have nothing to do with noise, frequency lag, spikes, over/under etc.
us typically power pole transformer between one or two houses isn't ideal.

That's why the PSU has it's own transformer and capacitors to deliver power. If OP was getting wild mains voltages that the PSU couldn't tolerate he'd be having severe electrical issues in general.

absolutely incorrect you have no idea how smps works or their tolerances

Yeah. Leaning towards a Corsair, but I might go with a Cooler Master, it's so much cheaper.
It just kicks in I think, it's a cheap cyberpower one. But point being is that the UPS isn't very tolerant of weird power either, so I'd probably have noticed it having issues before this.

smp just need adequate voltage to keep it's main capacitor charged, which in the case of a PC PSU is not very much at all. A PC will pull about 8A at ABSOLUTE MAX. Even shitty mains will comfortably deliver double that.

you are a fucking retard stop taking to me its nothing to do with load specifically, switch modes introduce harmonics onto the line, the relatively low impedance transformers and low loads of us infrastructure vs everywhere else in the world can't absorb the fast transients as well and puts extra strain on components as the sharp edges vastly increase switching speeds. stop talking about load as if we are running a static load on a battery or something this is smps and every device now has one your house is absolutely full of fast transients and ugly harmonics imposed on the mains frequency.
all ups's are very tolerant of weird power as in they will switch to batter mode if the power hits some limit that it assumes the load won't be able to use, but it doesn't do anything to clean up switching noise that puts stress on the filtering components in the psu and causes it to fail more quickly, it simply cannot do this because it would be on battery 100& of the time.
ups will 'save you' (it won't because your pc will have turned off by the time it kicks in) from black/brown outs but not from 'weird' power as you say. you can absolutely try it out take it to a ul lab and ask them to show you.

Now you're just talking irrelevant gibberish to try and sound smart, but has no relation to OPs problem which is simply a shit PSU,

Gotcha, so it stresses the PSU and causes it to fail quicker? I mean, it was a 8 year old Silverstone PSU that was out of warranty anyways, so either way it doesn't surprise me that it failed. Still, is there any way to know for sure that it's the wiring to my house or in my house causing stress on the PSU? I'm curious if there's an easy way to measure it.

No, he's just talking BS. Your PSU failed because it is 8 years old.

its not the wiring its the whole of america in general the infrastructure is a nightmare.
i'm sorry.
'shit psu'
cope. user says his psu lasted 8 years which isn't bad but ask any non american you will find this is an outlier in the bathtub curve of failure age.

It's not. I'm a euro and had plenty of PSUs fail before 8 years. If I had an 8 year old PSU I'd look to replace it soon even if it's working ok assuming it was being used regularly, especially with modern GPU etc.

Well, I was more curious because my house is really old and the previous boomer that lived here did some really sketchy wiring in parts of the basement so I'm always worried that he did a flying splice somewhere else in the house that is waiting to burn the place down. Going to rewire the entire house this summer with my uncle who's an electrician though.

Well, theories that I can't test and anecdotes aren't useful to me, so I'll just proceed as normal.

Make sure to get a good quality PSU.

If it only happens when both CPU and GPU are under load and you have also confirmed that the increased power consumption does not cause temperature issues then yes, the power supply is what I would suspect. It's no guarantee but if CPU load on its own and GPU load on its own are both stable but together they are not then I think it's a decent indicator of unstable power delivery.

Note that the CPU and GPU voltage do not mean much. Modern CPUs and GPUs boost up and down all the time and the voltage goes up and down as well. Your motherboard likely has voltage readings for the PSU rails though, looking what happens to those may actually provide useful information, especially if the 12V rail goes wonky.