Eats your disk space and RAM with multiple versions of the same shit

>eats your disk space and RAM with multiple versions of the same shit
>security is a joke, despite promises that will increase security
>issues on flathub left unanswered
>pull requests on flathub ignored
>flatkill.org/2020/
>ludocode.com/blog/flatpak-is-not-the-future
Flatpak is DOA

Attached: Flatpak_logo.png (256x256, 63.85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

flatkill.org/2020/
ludocode.com/blog/flatpak-is-not-the-future
github.com/flathub/com.viber.Viber
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>eats your disk space
I have 3 out of 4 TB unoccupied. Get a job.

>HDD
lmao

>>eats your disk space and RAM with multiple versions of the same shit
>what is hardlink deduplication
>>security is a joke, despite promises that will increase security
>hurr it's the format's fault that retards set their package's default permissions wide open
also
>what are overrides
>>issues on flathub left unanswered
>>pull requests on flathub ignored
sounds like cope
>>flatkill.org/2020/
FUD
>>ludocode.com/blog/flatpak-is-not-the-future
FUD and conflates it with snap and AppImage, which DO have a lot of problems, but flatpak doesn't.

Give me a single reason to use flatpak when Guix exists.

i've both fixed some flathub stuff myself and reported issues when i was too lazy to file a PR, never was ignored or had any problems with devs.
op is a faggot.

To get access to all the software missing from your repo. Just use Nix.

using meme freetard distro where nothing works right vs easily installing latest software on any distro of your liking.
yes, it is a mystery user, why doesn't anyone fucking care about guix, lmao.

are you retarded, how hardlinks have anything to do with RAM? You will have glibc and other common libraries loaded from your host system, but also from every runtime 20.08, 21.08, etc so it will use more RAM, as well as disk space, as you will have bunch of different runtimes for different apps, that will have slightly different version of common libraries

>sounds like cope
it's not, go to any package that is not in top 20 in popularity and it will have dozen of unanswered issues and pull requests with improvments that are ignored, case in point github.com/flathub/com.viber.Viber

>muh everything I don't like is FUD

user, i have 32gb ram minimum on all my pcs. ease of use is more important than meme minimuhlism.

Everything I want is there and Nix is a shit-tier alternative.
go back

>HDD
NVME M.2.

Get a job.

More packages.

you'll understand that i was right when you finally grow up and get a job.

>are you retarded, how hardlinks have anything to do with RAM?
Files are deduplicated across ALL apps and runtimes. If two apps happen to have the same library in them, even if they're not technically shared in the runtimes model, there will only be one copy in RAM because that's how hardlinks work.

snap is unironically better. just use ubuntu. youre not still a midwit stuck on the arch part right?
ill give fedora a pass, but there is no reason not to use either fedora or ubuntu

I make more in a week than you do in a month. Go back to flipping burgers, kid.

>snap is unironically better.
Snaps have slower startup time and adds overhead to user login.

>flatpak easy to use
lmao
>install Dropbox
>can't have Dropbox folder anywhere in the filesystem
>have to fiddle with permission
>install VSCode
>have to fiddle with settings to have host shell
>pulls unnecessary 1GB SDK
vs.
>install deb
>it just werks
Fedora trannies like to make their life difficult

more good things about flatpak:
- packaging shit is piss easy, easier than making a .deb
- attachpoints for stuff like plugins/extensions are a great idea
- running your own repo is basically "place files somewhere nginx can serve them", no weird software, no bullshit
- keeping all user-specific software inside ~/.local with flatpak --user is also great, no elevations ever, no bullshit
piss off, larping child. nobody of any value uses guix, and never will.
>literally shilling for snap
lmao Any Forumstards

wdym

Attached: Screenshot from 2022-02-01 22-19-53.png (1904x1304, 143.89K)

>have slower startup time
the first time you open them on a cold boot, yeah.
its actually secure, optimized, contained, etc. unlike flatpak
and after that startup its just fine. rather have a longer one time startup than have something worse overall

I don't use flatpaks nor snaps, feels pretty good.

Attached: 1520864143171.gif (500x500, 1.94M)

>Nix is a shit-tier alternative
Guix is a shit-tier alternative to Nix. Its language is a shitty general-purpose language (even though it's more like no-purpose) crudely adapted for package definitions, resulting in an unreadable mess of code and extremely slow evaluation times.

sounds like you got filtered. i'm using vscode on a daily basis, via flatpak, with zero issues.
>pulls unnecessary 1GB SDK
how is it unnecessary unless you shit up your system with same exact shit? don't bother answering, i don't care.
also
>muh whole gigabyte
stratospheric level of cope.

It still adds time to user login.

And in which way snaps are better than flatpaks?

>And in which way snaps are better than flatpaks?
what if you want to shit up your foss system with unconstrained proprietary software, served from a centralized proprietary store?
at this point you might as well install windows, as far as i'm concerned.
then again Any Forumstards unironically shill for kernel-level malware like EAC support in wine, just because they can't live without their vidya...

because I'm not a codemonkey that uses only VS Code
deb worked for 20 years and will work for the next 50, enjoy doing free QA for Red Hat

less ram usage, less bloated in general, ACTUALLY secure, contains shit so you dont have to worry about it.
in the case of a secure wrapping/packing mechanism, you really want a company with manpower + money to develop it. flatpak cant possibly keep up with the security and reliability of snap

>less ram usage
??
Snaps mount to loopbacks which is often mounted to ramdisk. It literally uses more ram by default.

And in what way is a snap more secure than flatpak?

i take it, you're conceding your non-argument about vscode not working properly in flatpak, right? good. at least you learned something today.
>deb worked for 20 years
user, i've been writing debian/rules while you were still floating in your daddy's balls. there's better ways to package software now and i'm sure as fuck going to use them.
you, however, keep making frankendebians and then whine here that your system got entirely hosed by your own incompetence.

>its actually secure, optimized, contained, etc
LMAO NO. The reason snaps take forever to start up is not because they're secure, it's their laughably stupid squashfs storage format, the only one that manages to waste RAM, storage, AND CPU time. Optimizing for time efficiency vs space efficiency? Nah, fuck that, snap is shit at BOTH! Snaps are NOT "actually secure". Their security is AT BEST roughly the same as Flatpak (still ultimately worse because no portals and no dbus isolation LMAO). That's only on Ubuntu. On other distros the sandboxing DOESN'T EVEN WORK, because it's based on AppArmor and only Ubuntu has the policies for it installed.