So can I just jump into using linux without any knowledge of coding? I'm eager to learn something new...

so can I just jump into using linux without any knowledge of coding? I'm eager to learn something new, but don't know anything about programming. would that be a good way to get my feet wet? or am I out of place here?

Attached: thumbs up.png (680x608, 124.76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

u1lib.org/s/mike gancarz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That made me laugh

Wonder if this still works

Attached: 1643441024541m.jpg (1024x553, 92.53K)

>so can I just jump into using linux without any knowledge of coding?
Sure can! In fact you don't need to know anything about programming at all at any point.

All you need to know to get started is that there is something called a repository which contains packages (software) and you have what is called a package manager to handle the installation of that software.

I recommend openSUSE Tumbleweed to get your feet wet. Start off by installing shit

Well learning linux is fun, just don’t get rid of any system you have windows or Mac that’s already working. There’s a few ways to play around with linux. One fun thing is to learn “the command line” on Mac you have it by default just use spotlight to find “terminal”. On windows instead install Windows Subsystem
For Linux 2 (Google online for instructions it is easy). That way you can try out an important linux concept without changing a bunch of stuff all at once

Linux is just sysadmin if you don't program it.

These are somewhat distinct things with only a small overlap in skills and knowledge.

In either case you are born with neither.

based (you) poster, I am serious though, I have a chromebook, and want to run my own stuff.

but how do I learn programming in the process?

I have a chromebook
I can learn tho, right?

>so can I just jump into using linux without any knowledge of coding?
yes
>I'm eager to learn something new
linux is good to learn! i use little things from decades ago in my job a lot with grep and shell scripts
>would that be a good way to get my feet wet?
yes, just install a user friendly distro like mint or ubuntu or whatever, don't fall for arch or gentoo autism

debian is also very good, it's my personal favorite. it's not as super newbie friendly but it works well

Yep, you don't need any programming knowledge to install most distros, and to navigate and operate in a shell. Programming only comes useful if you're automating tasks(which is easy to learn) or advanced customisation.

you spark no joy, it's getting old now. thanks for the (you) I guess.

install linux
apt-get install spyder
code a new project or fork one that exists

As you naturally use Linux you will find that you want to automate things. You'll start making bash scripts naturally. This will then graduate to playing with python. If you are interested in programming, you will naturally start brushing against it on linux and will figure out how this stuff works (at least as a hobbyist).

Even the "tryhard" distros like gentoo are easy to deal with anymore. Linux is stable as long as you don't go full retard

why the fuck you need validation from Any Forumstards is beyond me. How about you stop being such basedbitch and just use GNU/linux. if you don't like it or are too retarded to use it then just stop. No one is forcing you. absolute fucking retard

Oh, Chromebooks are already based on Linux.

I just don't know where to start, in my mind I have this concieved Idea how things should be, how do I get over that, I want everything to fit together.

Just pick a distro and play with it, then move to the next and do the same. This will go on for about a year until you learn how linux works then the programming will come after that. Dont go in with any plan. Just play with it

Yes you can. Even more, you can actually install gentoo without knowing jackshit about programming. It has, heh, quite handy AMD64 Handbook just fer noobs who don't fear comprehending the great wall of text. Main difficulty is lacking patience to wait till first compilation finishes (null in a gui linux host from which you do it), configuring kernel (cause it's time sink; genkernel is ez mode) and prescision fuckery with UUIDs and fstab, bootloader. And going for dualboot requires fucking with the bootloader even more so that it could boot everything.
It's perfectly doable.
I recommend making two virtual machines: debian netinstall with no DE and any user-friendly distribution, such as linux mint. Then just try them out! They're in VMs so you can break shit inside.

I feel that everyone who is beginning their Unix journey should start by reading The Unix Philosophy by Mike Gancarz. It's a very short book that you might be able to finish in a day if you get into it. It shows you how to think about Unix so that you work with its strengths.

u1lib.org/s/mike gancarz

Attached: fb9ff5ab0453e99f8ddde45787d84f04.jpg (312x500, 28.53K)