How awful is gnome really? i want to switch to linux as i'm really grown tired of windows...

how awful is gnome really? i want to switch to linux as i'm really grown tired of windows. lately my disk writes have been going off the charts, i'm averaging 15gb a day and my usage habits haven't changed. but since i have a amd graphics card i can easily use wayland and from everything i have read over the past week, it seems like gnome is the best desktop for wayland support. i know of sway but reading into sway i don't like it being some tile thing. i want windows to move around and mouse. i see there is kde but from what i've read kde seems to be nothing but buggy mess and its wayland support is worse than gnome and sway.

Attached: 1636150143032.png (680x481, 432.44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=SDL2-Prefers-Wayland
community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Shut the fuck up, nigger.

install gentoo

i have a amd 5900x so would be interested in gentoo. gentoo does have gnome right?

Attached: 1641022131037.png (695x797, 338.31K)

It just works
But some niggers cry bloat or whatever
I personally use xfce or mate because i like how they look

>i see there is kde but from what i've read kde seems to be nothing but buggy mess
Not too off from Windows then, eh?

that's what i want to avoid. gnome seems stable but i see so much hate for it.

how is xfce wayland support?

Just try some out in a VM and see if you like them instead of listening to people on Any Forums

Try gnome and kde both. You'll know which one works for you.

>i want to switch to linux

>Just try some out in a VM and see if you like them instead of listening to people on Any Forums

^is the voice of wisdom. Heed it.

Try multiple distros in virtual machines because you cannot know if you really want to switch until you're familar with both OS and various distros.

I'm not the user you quoted, and I've only used XFCE on X11, but I'd assume it to be relatively shit considering XFCE progresses at the pace of a snail and Wayland is rapidly developing.

KDE support for Wayland is still pretty awful, I know that much. Tried using that combo on a laptop/docking station setup and holy shitshow.

If you have a static monitor setup with the same display setup 100% of the time you'd probably have better luck with any combination.

yeah i only have a single 27in 1440p nano ips monitor. 165hz freesync. kde does look the more familiar to windows to me, but EVERYTHING i keep seeing shows kde as nothing but a buggy mess. that's unfortunate about kde because it does offer a normal looking desktop.
i might do this. my original plan was fedora since it has gnome out of the box. but i am up for learning anything. as noted, my cpu is a 5900x with a amd radeon vii.

I am using GNOME wayland on Nvidia if you can believe it, and it is honestly great. It is the only DE that feels like a real desktop experience.
GNOME on Wayland with AMD is as good as it gets

KDE being buggy is 50% true and 50% of a meme. I definitely notice more hiccups than I did with something like Cinnamon or XFCE, but KDE grossly overshadows Cinnamon/XFCE/Gnome in terms of features and how much you can tweak it.

Most of the bugs are also what I said as well, hiccups, and not normally massive crashes or clusterfucks. I use KDE on what I previously mentioned, laptop+docking station, and it's not bad to use at all even when docking/undocking.

I would suggest KDE with a normal X11 installation, I think it would serve you well. You'd likely have even less issues than me as well with a static monitor setup.

Kubuntu or Manjaro KDE would be my recommendation for a distro with KDE. I would not recommend Fedora, they ship things prematurely specifically with Wayland - Fedora with KDE defaults to Wayland, and even if you select X11 as the alternate renderer it still does dumb shit.

Would highly discourage trying to use Fedora's KDE spin.

why X11 though? isn't Wayland replacing it? i saw for gaming news, the new "sdl" thing that wine uses for games will default to wayland.

You really need to try GNOME for yourself. Your usage either aligns with how GNOME devs think or it doesn't and you should use something else.

here is the link about this sdl thing: phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=SDL2-Prefers-Wayland

Wayland is not ready. Although I do agree with that GNOME is the DE that's currently best adapted to Wayland.

Up to you, but I think you would have a 10x better experience with KDE+X11

hmmm. how well is wayland and x11 testing in a virtual machine?

>Wayland is not ready
It absolutely is. I dont know why people spread this meme. It is frankly better polished than xorg at this point

No idea sorry, hopefully someone else may know how good of a representation that is. I've only used wayland on normal/bare metal installs.

Maybe on Gnome or Sway. Not on KDE, no idea about other DE/WMs.

community.kde.org/Plasma/Wayland_Showstoppers