Buy CD

>buy CD
>Sony Music Associated Records
>publication date is 2007/01/24
How fucked am I?

Attached: 85698038.jpg (381x235, 21.94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal
techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-blog-archive/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights-management-gone-too-far/ba-p/723442
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're not running Windows, are you?

>you're not running Windows, are you?
About that....

Attached: 1631826078897.png (400x440, 222.23K)

I don't get it

in the mid 2000s sony bundled their music CDs with hidden DRM and a rootkit that masked said DRM.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

does it not need autorun to install the rootkit? Plus I doubt it works on anything newer than xp

Good luck
>t. the seller

Attached: artworks-G5yYTA6p09ULUZb6-K74FCA-t500x500.jpg (500x500, 25.91K)

the rootkit is installed when you install the mp3 player that sony bundled on the same CDs whether it autoruns or you manually run it.

wikipedia says the built in antivirus should catch it if the rootkit installer still works even.

you wouldnt have this problem if youd just pirate

it definitely won't work on any 64-bit OS. the black magic methods the DRM used to stand between the OS and the optical drive was dependent on features that dont exist on 64bit systems. if you ran it on a 32bit version of XP with an optical drive installed it would probably still work

Oh, I didn't see any .exes on the CD or DVD, just .cda files and DVD movie files, so I should be out of the woods, right? Also, the .bin and .cues I dumped refuse to be mounted on WinCDEmu, except for the DVD ISO, so is there something I'm missing?
I can't help it, I'm a consoomer collector and the album's physical release was relatively rare. Besides, I'm a huge fan of the artist.

what specific CD did you run? i don't know if it was the case with every single disc that has the rootkit bundled in with it but at least some of them came bundled with a shitty mp3 player and that mp3 player was the only way to play the music on said disc. so basically another DRM measure

if that doesnt apply to your CD then i can't speak from experience. like i said here though , the DRM and the rootkit only work on 32bit systems. if you're on a 64 bit system you're fine

should have downloaded it from torrents or soulseek!

The CD is from an album called hatsuyuki, and as I mentioned before, only came with .cda files. No installation program or autorun.exe in it, but since I run a 64-bit Windows, its a little reassuring to hear. I still can't mount these for some reason, though.

did you get any message asking you to accept a EULA? if i remember correctly there were also CDs with the XCP rootkit on them that would install its self and start modifying registry keys as soon as you either accept or deny the EULA.

>About that....

Attached: 1631308179559.jpg (750x729, 26.92K)

Nope, never did. I just slapped the CD into my burner and it just worked

>built in antivirus should catch it
Yeah, but this is Any Forums so OP probably disabled antivirus in favor of "common sense".

just got b&

some rando at microsoft says it doesn't work on 64 bit because system hooking doesn't work
techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-blog-archive/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights-management-gone-too-far/ba-p/723442

>2020
>Buying CDs

ok granpda, there is a service called spotify.

>current year

Attached: 1643510651836.jpg (680x605, 96.28K)