Senior Programmer Hiring Difficulty

>be 20+ year experienced programmer
>multiple companies
>capable of multiple languages
>apply for job to upgrade
>rejected

10 tech company jobs Ive been rejected at. What the hell happened to the market? Is it really more programmers than ever?

Attached: file.png (1024x648, 294.36K)

Lol what?

I applied to 10 and got 8 offers, what are you doing wrong?

These esoteric algorithm whiteboard tests probably serve as a proxy for IQ, and a higher IQ employee is going to serve you better all else equal.

That said, it's an extremely inefficient way to go about it and there will be smarter and more productive people who fall through the cracks. They should just give IQ tests for their interviews.

>I applied to 10 and got 8 offers, what are you doing wrong?
I went after the big ones. Im at comfy local company making decent money here in the US. Wanted to upgrade and tried my hand at the bigger companies cause I have basically as much experience as I can ever get. Got contacted even by recruiters. Then got another rejection letter,

My guess:
>those spots are already reserved for jeets and nepotism
>the offers are made just to perpetuate college debt

Big ones, like faang? Did you get flown onsite or did you just talk to the pretty clueless recruiter? If you got screened by a recruiter that's pretty sad

>These esoteric algorithm whiteboard tests probably serve as a proxy for IQ
Which is ironic cause college students basically past the whiteboard tests due to practicing the algorithms in their senior year. A little of a disconnect to pass over me compared to a fresh school graduate. It use to be that they had to work very hard to get a job, but currently college graduates are getting through the rounds in place of people like myself.

Yeah they were fanng. And no all of them have been through zoom. I talked with the actual employees at the company. Only 1 company I did not even get to the interview stage.

if you're not in management by the time you're 30, you've fucked up

>He thinks the reason was the binary tree
Heh, it has something to do with binary but not trees, you're just the wrong side of a certain other binary, Max

i'm stupid, lazy, and an anxious mess. no way in hell could i ever accept a managerial role. never will i put myself in a position where i have to tell people more competent than me what to do.

>I've built a car, why won't you hire me as a carpenter?!

I actually had a peer tell me that I probably wasn't culturally fit to be at these companies, so they are being biased by me not being like them. Several people know how good I am, but I'm not exactly a faang type of person if you get my drift.

Several of my senior coworkers arent in management. Sometimes people dont want to lead others.

>management
No thanks. I don't need the added stress. I'd rather call myself senior and take weeks to fix a single bug and read/watch some random shit on my 2nd monitor half of the time

>faang type of person
how would you describe that profile?

Well, with FAANG, they're looking for either fresh grads or extremely competent senior devs. I mean either you're in the 90% percentile of CS grads for junior devs, or 99% of senior devs.

Take homebrew fag for example. Yes he makes convenient software, but he's not that good. A fresh grad from an Ivy can look over his code and then take it further than this guy who coasting on his mediocrity so hard that he didn't even prepare for interview questions 101. On the other hand, if you're some senior COBOLD developer and one of the few people on the planet that can make google pay or some shit interface with ancient banking software, then you'll get head hunted. There's no room in between.

Ask yourself this: what could you offer these companies that a very smart, very motivated, single, no family, no work life balance ivy league chinky kid can't do after 6 months of on the job the training. If you can find a positive answer to that question, apply again and highlight it in your application process.

>20+ year experienced programmer
You are too old for FAANG
Your boss would have been 5 years younger than you at the least

>apply again and highlight it in your application process.
You cant show your skills in 30 minutes unfortunately. Not to mention the interviewer has to take your word for it without knowing who you are.

FAANG are probably competitive as fuck

A lot of the interviewers were pretty young I realized. It was kinda weird having a college grad grilling me tech questions.

I applied to a couple of game companies, too. I dont know if they count as faang.

The enterprise boomer companies would be glad to have you.

do you even know what managers do all day? fucking zoom meetings with retarded upper management about strategy and "synergy". i love to code, i think it's fun and that's how i want to spend my day. never going into management.

Yeah I know I can get with a bank or something higher. I might go that route at this point. Faang isnt what I thought it was.

Attached: 79754809_1767074730093118_6676065249000423424_n.jpg (960x863, 69.65K)

AAA game studios?

Yeah they were. The top gaming companies. They had positions opened that fit my skillset, so I went after them. Got to the interview phase with them, but I guess I wasn't what they wanted.

>what could you offer these companies that a very smart, very motivated, single, no family, no work life balance ivy league chinky kid can't do after 6 months of on the job the training
Emotional stability, empathy, sober decision making and years worth of experience to draw from. I wouldn't apply for a code monkey position.

>be expected to work overtime and weekends
>deal with unsatisfied employees who are upset with upper management but it's your job to handle them even though your hands are tied
>spend all day in meeting so your only time to do actual work is after hours
>all that while managing someone else's business
Yeah, no thank you. Why would I want all this extra work that requires me to dedicate my life to making money for somebody else?
If you are in management and it isn't your own company, you've fucked up.

He was a self taught programmer, he didn't learn any of those BS trees and graphs and other algo and DS shit CScels had to learn.

>Emotional stability
>Not a requirement
I think I'm starting to understand why Google is very slowly self destructing.

>IQ tests for their interviews.
That's actually illegal because IQ is not real and its racist.

All they do is say "did you go to college and learn the stuff we did and do you remember it". With leetcode's very existence I don't know the true purpose of these interview styles anymore.

>look up who created IQ tests
>not surprised

Attached: vd.jpg (1024x518, 47.1K)

>>be 20+ year experienced programmer
Why would a company pay you three-four salaries worth of entry level programmers who will get the job done regardless?

>No, but I programmed a large architecture system that is used globally by millions of users, supported it, fixed all bugs, and continue to create more to it. But sorry that I dont know how to find a word in an array of letters and then summing up the amount of repeatedt characters in said word

Attached: 1641548162935.jpg (1412x1003, 124.1K)