Is the thinkpad meme worth it? Which one do you guys have?

Is the thinkpad meme worth it? Which one do you guys have?

>inb4 post on /tpg/
No fuck off I want a whole ass thread for this

Attached: Richardo-Stallman-usando-um-notebook-825x510.jpg (825x510, 36.23K)

Acer swift is very light, easy to carry.

Lenovo yoga is pretty good. Touchscreen is handy as it allows you to read manga very comfy.

Are you going to do gaming? No. Otherwise yes. I have a thinkpad t450 but I wish I had bough the T430 or x230 instead.

they're not, they're overpriced as shit at this point and breaking apart at their shitty plastics due to age

>No fuck off I want a whole ass thread for this
for faggots like you who dont deserve a real thinkpad, lenovo made ideapad

this. the only good thinkpads are the old ones

did you read what he said?

i am talking about the old ones, but even at this point they're only really good for "privacy" (if the only thing you plan to do is libreboot and use tor on fucking void linux). other than that they're essentially useless, they cannot load modern webpages. antiquated graphics to run any sort of videos or movies, and shit battery. they also have tons of hardware level exploits that nobody fucking talks about because apparently coreboot means you're impervious to everything on earth

Was worth it
Used ones are not worth the price now, but if you want to coreboot/libreboot you may get one, otherwise useless overpriced chunks.
I had an x 230, it was a good laptop
If you are buying new, get a dell. Even their consumer inspiron ones are really good

The new ones? Not particularly worth it imho. You'd be better off with some hp ultrabook, I'd say.
There is one, I don't remember the model, which has a pen and a 3:2 screen, one of my professors uses it. It's of course super expensive, but if you need something professional and have the money I guess it could be worth it?
I have a second hand w530. Obviously I don't use my laptop in cafes or outside in general, but it's useful to have a portable workstation which I can take to another location and start working there. i7 + 16gb ram, plus the cpu is removable, and I can add more ram, which will probably be needed eventually. It's a very good machine, and it was very cheap.

I have an hp 340s g7, it's a really good laptop except suspension on linux is broken and it puts on hardware airplane mode the wifi card.
I had an X250 and the chasis just broke at a hinge and in the affair of replacing the chasis, the one I bought didn't fit quite right and lacked the rivets to hold some parts.

>they cannot load modern webpages
>antiquated graphics to run any sort of videos or movies
>shit battery
works on my machine
>tons of hardware level exploits that nobody fucking talks about
yea if you have access to my hardware anyways, what is the deal, you gonna 1vyrain me?
>coreboot means you're impervious to everything on earth
source or gtfo

>works on my machine
Which one?

if you pay for something that useless at a markup you're no better than an applefag

It depends but probably not. For me it's the nipple mouse and keyboard. I have an x220. Performance is fine for my use cases (programming, surfing the web, watching videos) but it does get a bit loud and hot at times. If there was a nipple mouse computer with no fan at all I would probably get it but as far as I am aware there are none.

Thinkpads Notebooks fabricated during the 10s are the best notebooks I've tried. They are modular, their parts are interchangeable, the stock is ample and they are as thick and rugged as fuck so they are durable.

Personal Experience: Through a friend I got a Thinkpad T410, I upgraded the RAM to 8Gb, the hard drive to 500Gb and today I installed a new battery. Now I just need to get the processor I ordered from China, an Intel® Core™ i7-620M to have the device at its maximum capacity and so far I must say it's a great experience. Maintenance is especially easy too, being clumsy with my hands I was able to disassemble it, clean it and change the parts and reassemble it without problems. Is great.

The modern versions are another story, they have none of the factors that made the machines legends, they are not modular, their components are fixed, which makes me wonder two things, first, what the fuck are they thinking in IBM and second, why America does not follow the design philosophy of 10 years ago and resort to the old exceptionalism to create machinery native to the continent with the good old school quality.

The 2010s versions are the best there is. Accept no subsitutes. A lot of stock on Alibaba, specially the X2** series but I don't have experience with those so I cannot comment on them.

redpill me on the nipple mouse, how frequently do you use it?

I exclusively use the nipple. I even have the touch pad disabled because it sucks so much. It's just so convenient to have everything combined into one thing. Scrolling is also way better with the nipple than even a standard mouse imo. It's just perfect for desktop use

i pretty much have all the classics from x60 to x230, they are all good enough to browse the web
i wont try to watch full hd movies on a core2duo but x201 x220 x230 do the job
and yes, if you buy a 10 year old used laptop, you want to get a fresh 9cell battery

You get used to him. It's very sensitive and feels good once you get used to it and want to voluntarily depend on it.

half-half I'd say, the touchpad is just better sometimes. The best comparison I can give you is aiming in fps games; aiming is shit on a joystick, but with a mouse its fine. In a similar manner, the nipple is shit for precision, and the touchpad/mouse is much better. The nipple is very comfy for general use, though, such as browsing the web.

If you were torn between t420/430 OR x230, which one would you get?

t420 is very popular.

Well the nipple becomes almost as accurate as a touch pad if you get used to it. I wouldn't exactly want to game or edit images with a nipple but I wouldn't want to use a touchpad for that either.