Saw a guy in a thread yesterday that said that ripscrip ruined BBSes

Saw a guy in a thread yesterday that said that ripscrip ruined BBSes
Well fuck you buddy

ITT: Let's celebrate graphics technologies from the early internet and pre-internet days

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 120.17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slbbs.com/files/doorgame.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

RIP - Remote Imaging Protocol - was a proprietary instruction set of vector graphics primitives. In the days of slow data connections it was faster to send the instructions on how to draw an image than it was to send a JPG or GIF. In the modern day SVG works the same way

It got relatively popular at the end of the heyday of BBSes, and was even considered to be added as a graphics standard for the early internet. Ultimately that was shot down because of RIP's proprietary nature

Attached: hqdefault[1].jpg (480x360, 33.46K)

ITT: Zoomers discovers """soulful""" shit from the '90s thread #3757905

Before RIP if you wanted graphics the go-to solution for most was ANSI, as it tended to be universally supported as it was mostly just an extension of ASCII that allowed for more symbols, plus codes to add color

It was drawn character by character, like ASCII art

fuck off zoomer, I was there

Attached: ansi_blondie_by_ice[1].png (1024x768, 893.32K)

I never saw these on a BBS, but there was a vector graphics system that preceded RIP that was an internationally-recognized standard in North America called NAPLPS

I heard it got use on some BBSes, but was mostly known for being used in expensive videotex services, as well as the online service Prodigy

Attached: 33897417025_616bef9b8e_z[1].jpg (640x418, 130.44K)

>Saw a guy in a thread yesterday that said that ripscrip ruined BBSes
didn't ruin anything. RIP was never popular, never good, and nobody supported it except for bloated amerilards running boards nobody visited.

>and nobody supported it except for bloated amerilards running boards nobody visited
America had the lion's share of people online at that time

It's also interesting to note that somehow NAPLPS caught on amongst Japanese HAM enthusiasts, despite
1. It being developed as a protocol for Canada and the US
and 2. Japan having its own graphics protocol called CAPTAIN that got used in its own pre-internet services. (CAPTAIN worked very similarly to how a fax machine encodes an image)

This boom among amateur radio enthusiasts led to the early Japanese internet also supporting NAPLPS, as there was a lot of overlap between the communities

The Japanese pre-internet scene seems pretty interesting. Wish I could read moonrunes

Attached: kagee[1].jpg (750x451, 72.48K)

>America had the lion's share of people online at that time
i can't ever imagine being this fucking retarded. truly can't. RIP was barely popular in the United States and was ALWAYS an option to use, unless it was a RIP only board, and there were even less of those in existence. how's it going making up computer history as you go? not so well? that's a shame.

Attached: 1630036921192.png (1244x623, 1.44M)

Are there any games done in ripscript?

Why so bitter about it?

stay mad turdworlder

the majority of door games were ansi-only, but some did add rip support
slbbs.com/files/doorgame.html

Even Legend of the Red Dragon got in on it

Attached: rip2[1].png (1279x670, 22.06K)

> be RIP
> released in 1992
> EVERYONE USED IT! IT WAS POPULAR!!11 TRUST ME GUYS!
> 1992
when did the bbs scene die? 19fuckin95 is when shit hit the fan. you bloated american pedos are the worst compulsive liars that ever existed. it's like you think google doesn't exist outside of your pedo country and we can't look up the history of your cancerous topic. livestream your suicide, you abject failure.

here's a better screen

Attached: RIPtel-Visual-Telnet.jpg (500x400, 82.21K)

now we just need ripchan

Attached: blitz.rip.png (400x300, 212.87K)

Attached: iceicewhaley.jpg (295x171, 22.62K)

Attached: US-BMOON.png (640x2898, 229.97K)

Attached: largest_ansi_art_4.png (640x4272, 35.26K)

I am in awe.

some of the art groups put a lot of effort into it

Attached: myhorseisamazing.png (640x2544, 23.71K)

Attached: weliveinasociety.jpg (640x3072, 458K)

Attached: soyouseeksanctuary.png (640x5392, 189.04K)