Do you guys actually care about how thin + light phones & laptops are?

Do you guys actually care about how thin + light phones & laptops are?
Just wondering because it seems like companies are just hopping on the bandwagon at the expense of things like IO.

I'd much rather have thicker devices if it meant they were more durable, lasted longer, had more IO, etc.

Attached: thicc.jpg (1920x1080, 104.22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6fXXpN1nl3g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

While it's difficult to get this point across to the typical autist, min-maxing either parameter doesn't work.

Yeah, it's great if a MOBILE device is light & as such, portable.
It's also great if it has a long lasting battery.
But there's a ceiling on battery life.

If the notebook gets me comfortably through a work day then that's as much battery life as I need; dealing with additional built-in weight to extend battery life beyond what I need to do my job is well.. bloat.

Same with IO. Yes, I want a full sized ethernet port and more than just one USB A, but I'd still prioritize portability over adding a second vertical row of USB.

In my profession I'm often in reasonably uncomfortable situations with my notebook, holding it in one hand & plugging console cables into appliances.
I don't need bloat on my notebook, I just want it suited to the tasks I need done.

I really couldn't care less. My phone cost $40. Consoomers baffle me.

My Xiaomi Redmini 4a was light and good. Now it's sluggish as hell. I'm going to get an Umidigi Bison simply because it can withstand rain, so I can put it on my motorcycle and use it for navigation instead of an obsolete GPS.

The size and weight of my Zenfone does bother me a bit, but most people I see also carry a portable phone charger and use a goofy phone case, so why not make the standard phone have a bigger battery and a water/shock proof build in first place?

It's almost as if only the chinese are taking into account the way people actually use their phones.

Attached: D_NQ_NP_921995-MLA48692332064_122021-O.jpg (399x500, 51.63K)

I use a flip phone, might upgrade to an old sony erricson but idk itll work since 3g is losing support

I have this, I regularly wash it when it gets dirty, and I've dropped in on concrete and asphalt a lot (with no case) and it's still fine. It has a removable battery that still lasts a few days (I've had it for a few years). Thin and light phones are for rich sissy faggots who can't handle anything bigger.

I just with this thing had a 3.5mm jack, there's an adapter for the proprietary port so you can use it but it's expensive. All of these durable phones are what you want, come home. There are a lot of durable phones that are fat, durable, good battery life, etc. You just have to look because no one shills them, because the thin phone sissy fags make fun of them.

Attached: XP8.jpg (519x519, 38.79K)

Get any phone that can run a custom ROM and thank me later. Still using NY Samsung galaxy S5 on crdroid. Also I think your A4 has an u official lineage is release on XDA.

>Do you guys actually care about how thin + light phones & laptops are?
Don't care how thin and light they are but they damn sure need to be made out of suitable materials.

Glass and Aluminum are NOT what makes a phone durable, quite the opposite

Looks like the iPhone that Any Forums would have designed. Did you install gentoo in it?

>Do you guys actually care about how thin + light phones
No, as long as it fits in my jeans pocket
>& laptops are?
Yes
I carry my laptop around for half of my working time (traveling to customers, meetings, 2. office)
Having a laptop being under 1,5kg is such a relieve
my old one weighted around 2,7kg and you'd feel it after a long day driving around

Tho not caring about thinness at all

>why not make the standard phone have a bigger battery and a water/shock proof build in first place?
Because now you have the option of how thick and durable you want the outer case to be. A little bit water resistant, or full submersible. Or none at all, 100% thin. As far as battery, nost phone will go the whole day unless you game or GPS constantly. So again, if you don't game or GPS the whole day every day, there's no need to carry the bulk, until you need it.

I actually want a phone that has a 12" screen and is 8" thick.
I want it to have all the IO used in the last 50 years.
A 800Ah battery is an absolute minimum.
I will obviously connect a mechanical keyboard to that.
A integrated electric stove would be nice.

>Do you guys actually care about how thin + light phones & laptops are?
I have a 7" laptop because it's light, keeps out of the way, and gets my networking jobs done. 1 port for ethernet, bluethooth mouse, maybe the other port for charging. Oh, and I'm also carrying several lengths of cables, routers, switches and toolbag, so no, don't need a 10lb laptop.

I hate thinshit. If you don't put a case/protector, they're slippery and awkward to hold.
Same goes for laptops - why the fuck do I care about sticking them into an envelope? Thinshit has less I/O, batteries that WILL bulge up and destroy the flimsy chassis, and also have pretty much no replaceable components.
>wasting $500~1500 on a piece of hardware with planned obsolescence designed right into it
Fuck that.

>S5
mein neger.
>NFC
>IR blaster (seriously, why the fuck did they stop putting these in? Handling AC units is a big plus)
>3.5mm jack
>Removable battery

>That thicc 18000mah battery phone isnt actually being sold

Attached: 1643566393284.jpg (88x88, 2.46K)

I wouldn't really want anything smaller than My T500, 13" and tinier laptops are just too physically small and cramped to use comfortably. (both the keyboard and screen.) Weight isn't really a concern, I don't even lift and still don't find an extra kilogram burdensome, not sure why so many people seem to. Actually battery life isn't really a concern either, even though the larger form factor would, with modern guts in it, let you make something with pretty monster capacity. I can't remember when I've had to use a laptop for more than an hour or so without access to an outlet.

Phones, whatever. Fuck phones, everything about them is awful and always will be, I use mine as little as I can possibly get away with.

Portability or performance - choose one. Everything in between is a travesty, like 17'', 30 pound laptops. What do you need that for, frying eggs? Small form desktop PC dustbox. Where do you live, in a 30x30 cm dormitory?
Don't care about phones, nothing exciting happened in the past 5 years

Just get a Google Pixel and use GrapheneOS

The thickness is actually good for ergonomics when it's in your lap as you end up with your hands at a more neutral position. The bigger advantage is the reduced weight though. You'll end up doing things like using your laptop one-handed while walking it's so light.

Respect.
But you must have a preference, right?

Absolutely, big chunky powerful things are cool and all but you need the right tool for the job, that's why so many tradesmen have M12 instead of M18 tools. If you're mainly going to be working with thin wood/metal you'd gain nothing by carrying bulky M18 tools. Same thing with phones/laptops especially as cloud gaming/internet latency keeps improving.

youtube.com/watch?v=6fXXpN1nl3g

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 204.76K)

Yes, but there are diminishing returns.

>cloud gaming
Never falling for it kike

Honestly wish I could have something the middle of those two extremes

For me it's more about the diagonal size than thinness and lightness. My 8" tablet is very chunky, and because of that I don't need to choose between performance, i/o and battery life.

Even if 7G internet allowed a 4K 144Hz stream on your tiny pocket phone with RTX 7090ti level performance for hours on end on the go with less than 1ms of latency?

Yes, fuck phones and fuck rentals. And fuck nVidia for gating their GPUs beyond these fraudulent scam services, when they should be going to gamers instead.

>The bigger advantage is the reduced weight though.

Attached: 1530125995197.jpg (988x1059, 421.16K)