/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook)

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards, tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium roll cage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>Excellent Linux & *BSD support

ThinkWiki - General info about ThinkPads and specs
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p (1080p w/mod board), Ivy Bridge support on T420 w/coreboot, quad core upgrade, classic keyboard mod on xx30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quad core models
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - last ThinkPads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>T440s/T450(s)/T460(s)/T470(s) - ultraportables, good battery life
>T480 - last ThinkPad with swappable battery, T25 keyboard mod, excellent performance/battery life, getting cheaper

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5-8250U quad core
>X62/X63 - X61, i5-5250U
>T70 - T60, i7-7700HQ
IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, MiniDP, no dock
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

BIOS replacement:
coreboot.org - T440p, X131e, X1C1, and xx30 series (no 61) or older
libreboot.org - X/T60 and xx00 series

Additional resources:
biosimage.booru.org
1vyra.in

UEFI patches:
github.com/digmorepaka/thinkpad-firmware-patches

Chat:
t.me/thinkpadgeneral
discord.gg/Ybdz7AS
##ibmthinkpad on libera
#/tpg/ on rizon

Attached: 1627945797388.jpg (1280x963, 249.44K)

OTHER THREAD IS A TROLL POST, DO NOT POST THERE

Attached: 1628369395761.jpg (2048x2967, 1.11M)

it's called a joke you fucking retard

Fuck off moron.

My fans on my x200 started blasting really loud and the machine started getting really hot. Is it time to repaste the CPU or replace the fan?

Repaste first then compare temps, if it doesn't fix it, then replace the fan.

is the x200 (or x300) better than the t61? can't decide between these two

it has ddr3 ram which is a plus

Repaste

How will you be using the computer? How many other PCs do you have?

I have both and T61 has replaceable CPU and of course a larger display. x200s are more portable but unless you're tiny carrying either isn't big deal. If you buy only one make it a T61.

Then immediately install an SSD (smol, used Intel or Samsung if poor as you probably are.

Then max out the ram (used RAM that passes memtest is fine, these old machine aren't worth buying new RAM, I got mine via Ebay from well rated vendors) for best results but you don't have to do that immediately if the machine has at least 4GB,

Are Thinkpads with second generation of i5 cpu(like T420S) still good enought for programming?

Of course they are. Even a i486 is good enough for programming.

post some thinkpad tier list NOW

Anything is good enough for programming. If you're a student, gen 2 i5's are more than enough even for bloated IDEs and other shit they require you to have.

list for what?

make a list of your favorite toys for the class

>gen 2 i5's are more than enough even for bloated IDEs
good to know

Any T440s owners with FHD non-touch screen, how good is it? Is it worth paying a bit extra for it?

Coreboot or libreboot? I just want no spyware on my device.

libreboot is a type of coreboot

I know but it seems that its not maintained like coreboot is, but is it worth the tradeoffs of no binary blobs