/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help/-?
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Any Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/commands/browse
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: IRC: #sqt on irc.libera.chat
fglt.nl/irc.html

Previous thread:

Attached: 1642219772916.jpg (820x860, 215.36K)

I've never installed any package with anything other than my package manager so far, and I don't remember every doing anything with flatpaks, but suddenly I have 1 flatpak package installed.
How?

what distro?
they're probably just runtimes

Attached: 1638750735960.png (635x93, 173.46K)

What distro, and what is the package?
I know on ubuntu some packages are just wrappers that install a snap when you first run them, so maybe this is simillar.

>package manager
Have you used some graphical software manager? I can search and install flaptaks with mine (mintinstall)

Looks like I was just testing the gui for the fedora packages and selected flatpak without checking it out, since the package seems to be just the flatpak repo for fedora.
However, when I try to do dnf remove flatpak, it throws me this error:
Problem: The operation would result in removing the following protected packages: sudo
What's going on?

Any reason gallery-dl is broken? Just gives this output no matter what I do. Anybody know of a fix?

Attached: file.png (613x158, 17.97K)

>selected flatpak without checking it out
Selected to install the package with fedora since that was the default*

no idea. try to update it first perhaps

I have a question about linux

What does mean font rendering in Linux is it the font being shown or not, or the way font look than to how it's made

I'm not sure I understand your question.
But usually when people talk about "font rendering" they're referring to how it looks. The "quality" of the rendering.

I am having some trouble using getopt with a script. Here is what I've got
#!/bin/bash

OPTS=$(
getopt -n 'script' \
-o 'c::h' \
--long 'config::,help' \
-- "$@"
)

if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
echo "Try 'script --help' for more information."
exit 1
fi

eval set -- "$OPTS"
unset OPTS

while true; do
case "$1" in
'-h'|'--help') usage; exit 0 ;;
'-c'|'--config')
case "$2" in
'') ;;
*) [ -e "${2}" ] && echo "found $2" || echo "file not found"; exit 1 ;;
esac
shift 2 ; continue ;;
'--') shift; break;;
*) echo "Unexpected option: $1" >&2 ; exit 1;;
esac
done
Right now if I run
script -c file
I get a blank line. But if I run
script -cfile
"found file" get's echoed. what do I need to change to get -c file to work the same way?
I changed the case "$2" to case "$4" and all subsequent instances of $2 to $4 and got what I wanted but I don't think that is the proper way to do this.

I changed the password to plex in my passwd file, thinking the user accept for my server was named plex. Do I need to do anything here?

Your Python interpreter is unable to find and import the gallery_dl package for some reason.
Something must have gone wrong when installing the package. Try reinstalling it with "pip install -U" or whatever you used.

Attached: greenismypepper.png (93x108, 13.87K)

other thread was deleted.
I was having trouble with gentoo on wifi.
see here: thanks

picrel but i cant connect to wifi. used to work fine.
an user started it seems to be wpa sup or network manager.
not seeing much for error in logs?

Attached: 1643509610812.jpg (1622x914, 1.18M)

Is picrel real or a meme?

Attached: C8FAC588-93BC-4394-A39B-DCE080BBE0C1.jpg (806x938, 337.28K)

Meme in the same way the original interjection is.

Intermediate here, what knowledge would I need to acquire to put together my own Distro? I know it would be hard work putting it together and even more work maintaining it (literally impossible for a single person who isn't doing it fulltime, but even then), I'm just interested in how distros (especially new ones from "scratch") are put together.

Side quest(ion): If I were to create a non GNU "Distro", what would I have to create anew?

Easiest thing to do would be to try out building an instance of Linux From Scratch. It'll give you all the BTS knowledge you need on how a Linux distro is built more then any other.

Which dlls and components are obligatory to install in order to run windows games trough wine?

When it comes to Wine, just install all of it's optional dependencies straight up. Also make sure you're using the staging branch.

Distros that actually matter, all build their own packages. Sometimes this is because the distro they got their package manager from has an issue (Debian has ancient packages, so let's create Ubuntu; Redhat is for businesses, so let's make Fedora), or because they created their own package manager. The second option is of course the better one (the first one really just is the original distro with a changed mirror list).
>non GNU
Why?

>just install all of it's optional dependencies straight up
so don't play with dlls/components useless you make another prefix to install a specific program?

The answer to a non-GNU system would be the coreutils, the shell, the C compiler, and the C library. But if you're building it, then there's the GNU suite of m4, binutils, and I think flex. But let me ask this too: why?

Take heed that most of those projects I said are GNU collections; they contain many sub-programs that are also necessary to make up the whole.

Checked this one for sure.
Yeah, I thought so too but was curious if there's more to it. I'm currently in exams stress so I can't really dig into it right now, but it's on my (long ass) list.
Also checked.
I knew about the packages thing but I've also seen that a lot of "top level" distros create their own manager. Apt for Debian, Snap for Ubuntu, Pacman for Arch, Yum for Fedora, Dnf for RHEL (technically not top level but which is als the reason why it's basically a reskinned yum? Dunno why, but I use this one currently).
>Why?
I think it's interesting that you could create another "new" OS with Linux that might become a competitor to GNU (Linux' GNU license / GPL aside). I mean, see Android, technically not a GNU Distro, but a Linux nonetheless. There's even a x86-64 version of it, though I have yet to find anyone who has ever used if as a main desktop.
Dunno, I can't quite put it to words, but I have this thought harassing my brain about a new, "clean" OS based on a *nix Kernel that would be compatible with every device and have comp-layers (like wine) for every OS and legacy program there is, so everything can be unified / modern. It's a double edged sword the more I think about it, but it keeps gripping my thoughts more and more each day.
Thanks!
>But let me ask this too: why?
Basically see above, I can't get rid of this thought and now I'm trying to learn about it so my curiosity can finally be satisfied and leave my mind alone. I'm weird.

Attached: 1615703682623 dubs.png (563x744, 330.19K)

Really the main difference between "big" distros is it's package manager and how they interface with archives. Like Debian and Ubuntu uses .deb archives to install binaries while having apt as it's manager. Which makes it very easy to install, update, remove and clean binaries without much manual intervention. Package managers exist to make the Linux experience easier.

Why doesn't wine mono and Gecko install on starting up the wine prefix/bottle?
If they are installed for one prefix it won't install for another prefix?

Some of the games I play need to launch trough windows cmd / powershell.
Can I install cmd/shell locally in the wine prefix or do I need to download them from git and install them on linux?

>Which makes it very easy to install, update, remove and clean binaries without much manual intervention.
Yes, absolutely. My last distro before I switched to RHEL recently was Debian 11. A charm to use, but it had a few things that made me a bit mad at times.
>Package managers exist to make the Linux experience easier.
Learned that the hard way. Slackware was my third distro.
>Ubuntu [VM] -> Manjaro [VM] -> Slackware -> Manjaro (again) -> Debian -> RHEL

Attached: 1623364335094 loonix.jpg (736x414, 116.73K)

Yeah, Slackware doesn't have a majority of the modern conveniences of current Linux ecosystems like automatic dependency installing but some just like that or are just use to manually installing everything.

Anyone?

just use a VM like virtualbox or QEMU

Link details all the packages needed for games
rentry co johncena141-reqs

Well, it's not the GNU part of GNU+Linux that makes the other software incompatible. It's the kernel. It all boils down to the C library and what functions the kernel exposes. These are called primitives and they're the bottom-most level of the software stack. Different systems do it differently and expose different functions to the programs that run as a result. If you want to make a truly everything-compatible system then you would need to reverse engineer these function calls and translate them to ones that the kernel you're using understands. Basically what Wine does for Windows software.

Also, due to EULAs in both Mac and Windows, it would be illegal to attempt to reverse engineer, decompile, or otherwise make sense of these exact function calls.

Adding to this, some libraries are already creating a standardized library for calls (see: SDL for game development) that can be compiled to various OSs "under the hood" so that the software you make can run on all these supported kernels

Anyone know why I can't download themes from the global theme manager in KDE Plasma 5?

I always get this error no matter what theme it is.

Attached: Screenshot_20220129_233828.png (890x497, 158.71K)

what is the difference between wine hq and system options in lutris's wine's version pick?

What distro, and did you install the complete KDE system with konsole, sddm, etc? Or just a few KDE components that you need?

If it's the latter, then you can't install from the in-built theme store because it assumes you have and use all KDE components. In that case just go to pling or kde-look whatever it is and install manually. Or just install all the associated KDE apps.

how do i do this?

Attached: 1618572457605.png (458x28, 5.76K)

read the manual noob
>A simple short option is a '-' followed by a short option character. [...] If the option has an optional argument, it must be written directly after the option character if present.
options with optional arguments (like your -c) are parsed differently
both ways work as expected if the argument is made non-optional
>% getopt -n 'script' -o 'c:h' --long 'config:,help' -- -cfile
> -c 'file' --
>% getopt -n 'script' -o 'c:h' --long 'config:,help' -- -c file
> -c 'file' --

Is the pinebook pro a good basic netbook?

I want to get my son his first computer, just to mess around with mostly. And maybe do learning things. Just don't want it to be too unbearably slow.

>Thunderbird does a worse job than BB10's ~4 year old mail client
How do I make it sync with my uni's Outlook email? With BB10 I just had to put in that it was Outlook based and it just werked. I copied everything I could from the advanced settings in BB10 and I can't get Thunderbird to do the same. Last time I went (2018/19) the uni provided instructions for setting mail clients but this semester they just expect you to install their shitty app

>How?
systemd/pulse-audio = red hat glownigger subversion. IT'S OVER FAGGOT

Lutris packages specific builds of wine that are known to work with a game as well as settings. Which is why a lot of people aren't keen on it; you're giving Lutris tranny RCE.

Attached: lutroon.png (322x593, 103.39K)

I read this whole post in randy's voice. Just thought you should know.

Is he really in the whole tranny thingy or is he an effeminate male that likes to take it up the ass?

If I have a 5.15.16 kernel, is my kernel already fsync capable? I was reading about FSYNC with proton and you have to patch the kernel, but 5.15.16 has it enabled now right so no need to patch? Any way to check if steam is using FSYNC?

Anyone else get big boy performance jumps after the last few major kernel updates? 5.16 seems to have way better gaymen performance for me

Yeah, gaming performance was one of the major focuses of a couple kernel patches ago. Most likely Valve's hand.

>tfw you thought the arch linux tranny meme was just a meme
>hear a friend refer to an arch nerd (man with adam's apple and 99% most likely a penis, who always seemed an obvious "he" until today) get called "she" and not sure what to say, so just ignore
just because you're an incel computer nerd doesn't mean you're "a woman" you fucking faggots. my lord, i hate you all, even the people who agree with me. a society that is on the rise doesn't have these kinds of arguments in the first place, its over

So is there any way to get an option that has an optional argument to be parsed the same way an option with a required argument is? I.E. not directly after -c? I understand it is working as described in the manual and the provided example script but I'm asking if I can get it to work differently.

>[ 9014.991323] usb 1-1: timeout: still 4 active urbs on EP #85
>[ 9015.991330] usb 1-1: timeout: still 4 active urbs on EP #5
>[ 9015.991386] URB 000000005853765f submitted while active
>[ 9015.991565] usb 1-1: cannot submit urb 0, error -16: unknown error

Attached: 1578254328039.jpg (785x1000, 88.68K)

>So is there any way to get an option that has an optional argument to be parsed the same way an option with a required argument is?
not with getopt

WHY THE FUCK DOES GNOME NOT HAVE PROPER THUMBNAILS IN THE FILE PICKER???

Attached: 1606724516256.jpg (1202x900, 125.14K)

That's a shame. Is there a similar arg processor that would work the way I'm looking for?

Because the devs think you don't need them :)

I recently got a hidpi (1080p) laptop, and my external monitor (1080p but bigger) scales stuff a bit too much with dwm/other window managers. I tried the xrandr trick but it didn't work for me. Can anyone please help me getting it to play nice?

Attached: help.png (962x1380, 722.49K)

Have you tried messing with xrandr via arandr?

No user, I'll try doing it.
Thanks!

Attached: file.png (1000x800, 1.09M)

Something about my firefox (84.0.2) is seriously wrong, I couldn't capture but saw it was Firefox that was using 6.6GBs of RAM
Any ideas how to solve this? It's starting to happen ridiculously often and freezes the system for a bit (this time it immediately dropped after reaching 100%, but it usually doesn't)
Any ideas what might be causing this/what can I do to prevent this?
I am using i3 on Manjaro if it matters

Attached: unknown.png (349x107, 3.89K)

please be my grilfriend

It can create an xrandr .sh file that you can put in your WM's startup, so it's pretty useful.

What are some tray volume control programs? I am using volumeicon, but it's not Wayland compatible. I would also like something that supports Pipewire.

why can't I run more than one program in the same instance of wine?

I disabled esync and now for some reason it works? What???????

If you want a serious answer it's because the GTK thumbnail generation code is too slow, or something like that. It is somewhat due to the gnome devs just being lazy, but it is actually sort of a difficult task with gtk.

what the fuck?

Attached: 2022-01-30_10-47.png (751x1212, 144.17K)

>what the fuck?

Attached: 1553646822552.jpg (708x800, 94.73K)

someone please convince me to not install gentoo, my distro hopping brain is acting up

Attached: 1622758302085.jpg (1200x798, 257.21K)

It'll probably take fucking ages to install and you don't want to wait that long.

>distro hopping brain is acting up
first day user?

How to configure fonts in Arch Linux? They look like chinkshit!

Can someone explain to a retard why is so hard to make distros for smartphone while the ones for computers just werks? I'm particularly thinking about postmarketOS. I guess it has something to do with the firmware for the different components of the phone, but why that problem doesn't seem to exist for PC and laptops? (again, I'm a technolet who just installed mint)

why are my games running like shit with linux? Ive got an rx 580 with drivers installed

Your games should be running fine if you have the current drivers. Which distro are you using? Which kernel?