Stealing from my work

I just noticed wherever a emplpyee leaves my company the laptop they used doesn't go back to IT, it just stays in whatever office they were gathering dust, there's 10 computers like this laying aroun. Could they catch me If took one home? I would obviously not connect to the intermet until I wipped the memory clean with a linux distro

Attached: images (38).jpg (550x503, 24.35K)

My internship ended while working from home during the lockdown. My account was immediately locked out and I didn't receive any correspondence, so I decided to just keep the laptop. They never asked for it back.

Not worth it. If you get caught stealing from work you will be fired instantly and have a black mark on your resume even if the laptop had limited value.

Just ask if you can buy it for a very low amount, probably they will say yes to get it off their books.

If there are no security cameras go for it

>Just ask if you can buy it for a very low amount, probably they will say yes to get it off their books
if they've already written it off as depreciated for tax purposes, isn't it illegal for them to resell it?

OP, don't steal laptops from your workplace. can't believe you need to be told this, it is obviously not worth the risk

I did this a few times and was fine. But one time I took a laptop and held onto it for like 5 months before finally wiping it since nobody mentioned it. I shit you not the next day at work somebody called and said they were missing an Outlook archive and how it was on their old laptop. So my coworkers panicked trying to find it. I went home that night and wiped the drive again, installing windows back on it with a fresh image. I then smuggled it in my backpack and placed it under the work bench

Once my coworker found it he was like "Ahh man, somebody already reimagined it" and threw it in tbe junk pile. A few weeks later I took it again and now I don't work there anymore.

last year i was doing an internship and they had given me a laptop
i would let it at the office when i knew i'd work at the office on the morrow, and once it was stolen

they replaced it with a better one but still a bit mad about it

either or

At my work they put inventory stickers on about damn near anything that can be carted off easy. So yeah stealing is not gonna happen,least it won't be me doing it anyway. Got a nice comfy job with me being at the pivot point downward towards retirement. Fucking it all up over a computer is just dumb.

They aren't yours Jamal

No, you've got this wrong. It's completely legal to sell it (think of old vehicles from a fleet) but to be legal it has to have a paper trail (a sales receipt). What's legally grey is giving something that's written off as a "gift" or compensation to an employee or a friend/family of an employee. Like for example your boss asks you to help him move furniture from his house and he gives you $40 and a two-year old iPad from the company. This is embezzlement.

Honestly if you just ask they'll probably just give them to you for free. We do that shit at my work all the time, because they usually just end up in a dumpster anyway.

you can go a day without stealing, tyrone

just do it man we both know you want it
you only live once so go for it
who's gonna tell, no one
for them its just a laptop
but for you, it could mean a new life, a complete new world. are you really gonna let that change slip, up to you.

Attached: 1643470037343.png (454x434, 240.03K)

this At a previous job I just asked my boss if it was OK if I took the old laptops and phones that ended up in our storage room, picked up a bunch of X230s and some decent phones

(me)
Forgot to add, if you do get permission, keep it discreet to not attract unwanted attention from coworkers etc, don't sell stuff(especially if they told you not to or it's marked), wipe the drives(or take them out if that's your company policy), and don't get greedy.

I was in the same situation, except I was a contractor. Then one day, a year after, I got a whatsapp message asking me if I still have it and if I can return it. So I was glad I didn't install linux on it or whatever.

More often than not they don't ask because corporate is a fucking mess, but once in a while someone actually goes through inventory list and you may end up in trouble.

Fuck that, steal everything from work. Desks, TVs, other people's lunches in the breakroom fridge.. Steal everything you can get your grubby little fucking hands on, then deny deny deny if ever accused.

Is not worth it Jamal /Timmy
You're better than this, it's just a fucking laptop

Attached: 1643456339906.jpg (533x800, 44.22K)

corporations are terrible at inventory
it means very little to them

My old company always gifted fully depreciated assets because it was less of a hasle than selling.
Most people don't want three year old shit anyway.

Just ask nigger. I literally got 2 blade servers for free with hard drives. 8 laptops. 4 desktops. Etc all just by asking for them. Don't steal. You'll go to prison.

This is the obvious answer lol. I have like 10 computers from my job that were about to be recycled. Just ask if you can borrow it for something and they will probably say yes.

Enterprise laptops have shit in the BIOS that gives tracking and remote locking capabilities so you dont want them

>from 10 laptops take 1 ram stick each.
>takeout ssd but keep hdds
>sell all rams and ssds for about 1000$ in total.
>get a new Thinkpad

Holy Jesus Christ this thread is full of little bitches. I steal anything that’s not nailed down, even if I don’t need it. It is not hard at all to get away with stuff. No one will ever accuse you of a doing anything without absolute proof, because the can of worms it opens up is insane from a legal perspective. If you are dumb enough to not know how to beat the “controls” they have in place to try and prevent loss, then you are too stupid to be alive.

you don't have kensington locks?

everyone had them but not interns
my manager didn't give back the laptops to IT like in the OP because the company is so slow to process these demands
and as a consequence procedures aren't followed and a lot of stuff doesn't work

give it back jamal