/lg/ laptop general

Discussion about laptops, buying advice, shit brands and good brands etc
Stinkpad fags not welcome

So anons is M1 MBA really worth the hype?

Attached: images (1).jpg (783x391, 37.63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bing.com/news/search?q="macbook air" m2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Isn't the ceo of apple a sodomite?

I like the M1 as a concept, and the fact that there's steady progress towards being able to install Gentoo (exclusively) on the things is cool too, but the real block stopping me from getting one is the fucking soldered storage. The answer is Apple wants you to buy a new one when the old one breaks, but what the FUCK did they mean by this?

Attached: 1601604669212.png (640x637, 505.79K)

>sodomite
>tfw im 25 and dont know what that means
maybe i should have gone to sunday school

I work in storage (not for apple) and you already answered your own question. Buy a new one cuck

The MBA is the best laptop for the price. If you have keyboard and monitor, it's strong enough to be your only PC, and it's super portable if you want to take it with you.

Everything I own fits into one bag, and I can't use a monitor or external keyboard, so I had to get a bigger laptop.

>currynigger general

Attached: 1638860202280.png (1186x862, 1016.32K)

Vm emulation on it is still spotty at best. I do a lot of testing vagrant and I can't reliably deploy test instances using docker on it. My Thinkpad backends with virtualbox no problem tho

which laptop did you get?

Your openning OP pos title has the answer.
Life's good.

I am at a crossroads. I have been a custom built PC guy all my life. My current PC is slow (not super slow but just loud and inefficient) and 6 years old.

I am not sure if I should get a new custom built PC (with the parts I have selected it will be $1,600 it will have a i7 12700, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, 650W Modular PSU, No GPU), or I can get a similarly priced laptop with an i5 1135G7 and 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD (Lenovo E15, only downside is 250 nits display), or I can get a 14" MBP (512GB SSD, 16GB RAM). I don't game, I am a fullstack developer and in my freetime I just consoom videos and stuff on my computer.

I don't need portability that much since I have an old Samsung tablet for scrolling but the idea of working on my bed or couch seems appealing. At the same time my custom built PC that I plan to build will probably be more or equally powerful as the 14" MBP for way less.

I have the M1 Air, the performance is good, the battery is excellent. I use it mostly for Photography/Music/3D Printing, and a bit of programming and it does these tasks properly.

The only thing that annoys me is the lack of proper ports, it has only 2 USB-C ports and no dedicated SD slot, all in favour for the "thin form factor". At least put a mini SD slot in the damn thing.

But overall it's a good portable for the price.

Is there a single good laptop that was made in the last 5 years?

>replaceable battery, ram, HDD/SSD
>won't break down after a few years
>7 row keyboard
>trackpoint strongly preferred

Although the RAM isn't exactly replaceable on the M1 Macbooks you can take it to the Apple store or a shop to get it upgraded. The RAM although is excellent.

I am just not a fan of the UI.

How about Framework Laptop?
Dunno about the track point, but the rest is pretty maintainable / upgradable

Get yourself an 11th gen for your own sake, Pluton is in 12th gen. Also, unless you absolutely know your workflow needs 32gb, you could get 16gb and, with the money saved altogether, probably get yourself a nice little mid-range laptop after some more time saving

It looks like the best I've seen so far. I'm almost willing to give up a trackpoint for it. I really hope a trackpoint becomes available some day.

> Get yourself an 11th gen for your own sake, Pluton is in 12th gen
What do you mean?

> Pluton is in 12th gen.
Could you please elaborate?

> Also, unless you absolutely know your workflow needs 32gb, you could get 16gb and, with the money saved altogether
The price difference is $70 which isn't huge, and I'd rather know I have plenty of extra RAM laying around. The motherboard I'm looking at has 4 DDR4 slots, and the RAM is 2 x 16.

> probably get yourself a nice little mid-range laptop after some more time saving
Yes, but I want something powerful enough I can work on, not just consoom. For consooming I have my Samsung tablet which I could replace with a brand new $500 iPad.

pluton is a security chip that was announced recently, and its gonna be in all future amd and intel cpus. basically, it updates through microsoft and phones home. scans your documents, applications you have on your pc, etc. to enforce DRM. and who knows what else itll do. i just wouldnt go for it personally, 11th gen is more than enough
as you're full stack, i think youd be happier with a permanent, proper desktop setup. get yourself the performace, cooling for sustained workloads, ergonomics, etc.
if you think you ever want a laptop down the line its easy to get one. but its not as easy to deal with the sacrifices of a laptop when you dont have a way around them.

T480

How is this legal, surely Europe, a continent which respects a person's privacy, will have a say about this.

X270

>pajeet book """""""""""build quality"""""""""""""
>2009-2010
>defective "fake" unibody design causes screen bezel to crack and fall apart by itself after 2 years of normal open/close
>2011
>screen held on to chassis with glue and melts and falls off because the heat exhaust blows 100°C hot air onto it
>2012
>GPU kills itself because of defective soldering and overheating
>2013
>magically no major show stopping defects
>still tons of small defects and proprietary SSDs from this point on
>still an overheating turd like all apple throttlebooks
>2014-2015
>massive CPU/GPU overheating and component failure
>2016-2020
>massive overheating and throttling issues
>soldered components make upgrading and data recovery impossible
>screens so fragile that a sticker over the webcam cracks the screen when closed
>keyboard guaranteed to fail in less than 2 months unless you live in the vacuum of space
>2021+
>keyboards are still failing albeit at lower rate
>pajeetOS rapes the onboard soldered SSD like a cheap viet ladyboy 24/7 even with 16GB RAM
>8GB RAM pajeet book lifespan for SSDs even more grim
>screens are cheap shit glass that crack from simple temperature change in seasons
>miniLED screens are utter shit and have massive bloom defects that make fucking everything glow like CIA niggers

iNiggers have the memory of goldfishes. There's no other explanation why they would continuously defend the steaming pajeet shit apploo sharts down their throats.

Attached: 1620828944848.jpg (269x187, 4.94K)

but user, it just werks

Recommend me a laptop. I am the guy who posted about not being sure if he wanted a custom built PC or a laptop. My budget is $1,500 - 3,000 AUD. Go.

im not sure if youre joking with that, but nah, they all get a piece of the pie. the EU virtue signals, but theyre pushing for laws that'll let them read all text messages that get sent
microsoft will make sure to share what they get with the EU and they won't pitch a fit

Are there any non-goyming laptops left that can have an HDD put into them? I have a 17,3 inch ideapad and it doesnt even fit in my bag. I might need a smaller one in the near future but I want my drive to last forever just like my HDDs.

Wait for M2 if you can, should be out in maaliskuu
bing.com/news/search?q="macbook air" m2

What laptop with a dedicated gpu does Any Forums recommend? No chinkpads, only cia backdoors in my hardware pls.

looking for a laptop
>14" 1920x1080
>trackpoint/pointing stick
>dgpu
>tb 4 for egpu
>can handle egpu without much issues, 'turn on laptop first then turn on egpu then plug' nonsense

There's a few business laptops that do.

which is the last usable laptop with a mechanical keyboard

Great laptop, I unironically prefer it over myT14s gen2 at work. T480, T440p and P50 are the best laptops of the last decade.

Tim Cook is gay, yes.

i will buy the first 16 inch macbook with a hdmi 2.1 port

is that the 8GB/16GB model? what's the ssd health like?

Thought about getting one of those Macbooks but will hold out until these Apple chips support armv9. I'm just tired of windows desu.

the port situation is the main reason i will not upgrade from my 2015 mbp to the new air or 13 inch pro. they can put as much power as they want into these things. no ports means no upgrade. it's sad that it took them 6 years to show a macbook that i consider an upgrade to mine

>Alder Lake is faster then M1!
>peak power 115W housefire vs 40W peak for the M1 max
>battery life is still worse then AMD despite new "efficiency cores"
So is this the superior Intel performance I've heard so much about?

Attached: 127652.png (670x275, 20.94K)

SAAAATAAAAN
QUUUAAAADS

Just get a Thinkpad and a docking station
Best of both worlds

Meme tier combo, what thinkpad tho?

Sodomites are people who practice sodomy, which broadly includes any sexual act or activity that isn't intended for procreation. Over the times the actual usage has varied, but for a long time this obviously included homosexuality. Nowadays it often describes anal sex and people stopped calling homosexuals sodomites because obviously that word has a negative connotation and a couple of decades ago being a gay became somewhat socially acceptable.

thinking of replacing my 7 year old Lenovo shitbox with an ASUS VivoBook Pro 14 with AMD Ryzen 7 5800H, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050, 16 GB RAM, and 1 TB SSD

y or n?

Just bought a memepad

Is the Thinkpad E14 Gen 2 any good? I'm thinking of getting one with an I7-1165g7 to replace my laptop which is old and has a shitty battery life
Should I do it?

anyone has some infos on what tongfang will pull out this year ? I'm looking into a getting a tuxedo (most likely the pulse 15) laptops and I wonder if it's worth waiting for an updated version

My gf is planning to get this for me in a couple of weeks, seems like a decent deal?
It would be a huge step up, im currently using a Nitro 5 with i5/gtx 1650.

Attached: Screenshot_20220129-120721.png (1020x2340, 673.19K)

Only issue is that it is hard to hold, metal case is nice but not very rounded or properly radiused. Painful to prop up against your torso if lying down.

If it mostly sits on your desk or is carried from table to table, probably fine. Double-check the display for color quality; the earlier GS63 I got had a 78% or so sRGB space which is too low for good color rendition if editing photos, etc.

Well most of the time it will be plugged into the TV for gaming and movies. I was considering the QHD (pic related) version instead tho. I'm just wondering if the screen type difference is really noticeable, beyond the resolution.
Thanks for your input user.

Attached: Screenshot_20220129-130250.png (1020x2340, 656.27K)

Buy the gen 3 and upgrade the screen

>So anons is M1 MBA really worth the hype?
yes. some things like minecraft and discord take workarounds to get running natively (which performs way better than rosetta, even though rosetta is also good), but once things run they run great
boomers and contrarian virgins need not reply, please only interact if you are a socially competent human

the rtx 3050 is too weak and Asus has really bad quality. i recommend looking at a different brand with a stronger graphics card. Asus has a lot of hardware issues

weird coincidence, i literally just upgraded from my 2015 mbp to the m1 air last friday
the lack of ports does suck tremendously and i hate the risk of pulling it off a table because the charger isn't magsafe anymore
but other than that i just shelled out for a mildly expensive port hub (satechi branded, 1 usb-c, 3 usb-a, 1 hdmi, ethernet, sd and micro sd readers) and it's working pretty well so far (apart from using a hub being the usual hassle)

Aside from a thinkpad, I've got a corebooted T430, and system76 are there any other options for a corebooted laptop?

I'm currently using a Latitude E5450 with 5th gen i5
build quality on business laptops is great but the processor is showing its age, I think, simple browsing is sluggish
is pic related a decent buy? ~450€ for the Ryzen 5, 512GB SSD, 8GB RAM, 1080p IPS
the build quality will probably not be as good and it doesn't have a backlit keyboard, but I use my laptop at a desk most of the time anyway
if I buy an additional 8GB RAM stick for ~35€ it should be fine, right?

Attached: Screenshot 2022-01-29 at 20-39-41 HP 14s-fq1155ng Natural Silver ab € 444,00 (2022) Preisvergleich Geizhals Deutschland.png (1858x594, 209.58K)

Aleight. What do I upgrade to from a T480s? I want:
>decent screen (or upgradable to decent)
>good speakers (T480s are trash) - absolute must, this is my main cause to upgrade
>nice keyboard, touchpad buttons above the surface (I really like them)
>x86 - sorry, I run VMs and x86 only software sometimes
>great Linux support
>performance on par of undervolted i7-8650U
>decent battery, some nice port selection
>preferably Thinkpad for the meme, but I'd be fine testing some Latitude or whatever
Can be used, budget is around 700 euros. I was considering adding a "be 2in1" point, because if it was I could place it between my external screen and keyboard. Can't really do that with T480s, despite its 180 degree hinge.

tuxedo is working on some iirc, but nothing is available for now. maybe in a few weeks/months ?

Never thought about tuxedo. Do they design there own products, or is it clevo? Might be worth looking at.
I'm hoping framework gets it figured out too. Their repairability is very appealing.

it's not clevo but tongfang
as for framework I remember seeing that they open sourced their firmware recently so within a year we should have coreboot or libreboot available

Yeah they open sourced their ec right? Very encouraging stuff

I don't really remember what they opensourced (or maybe just gave some useful documentation) but apparantly it was really useful since the next day a coreboot dev was trying to port CB to the laptop, it was on stream but I don't remember where nor the name

I'm looking for something above a chromebook, but under a gaymen/ultrabook laptop. Basically, a laptop for a normalfag.
I was thinking something with a Ryzen 5500U would be good, but it seems they are a bit higher priced than I expected.
What would be a good one for under 600 USD?

Yeah, the 1080p screen on my 15" is barely enough. It's noticeably sharper than my regular monitor or TV, but not even close to my phone. I'd prefer going 4K if at all possible. Don't settle for 1080p on a 17" unless you rarely use it as primary display.

The problem isn't open sourcing. This shit is all commodity hardware with the same 5 CPU and chipset revisions. The problem is you can't usually even flash anything but the vendor firmware because of cryptographic verification. It's basically the same locked down shit as on phones. Even if you use a flash programmer on the chips directly it won't boot if the content doesn't match some burned in public key you have no control of. Business laptops are usually more hackable and let you flash wtf you want. Similarly for niche products marketed towards autists and neckbeards.

Im more than likely getting the QHD version then. Hopefully our new television in the future will be able to accept the same resolution of it. Thank you user, I was indecisive about this one.

If you don't care about gayming at all or if you don't need a ton of cores/threads I'd sincerely recommend a modern thinkpad. T450 to T480 specifically. You can get a T460 with an i7, 16GB of RAM, a FHD display, and 250gb of ssd storage for ~$200 on eBay. There are other models that might fit your needs better but if you're interested you could ask over at about other models and such.

how the fuck is it a meme?
I'm using an X1 Nano with a Lenovo TB3 gen2 dock and a Lenovo 34" ultrawide

Would have gotten the Apple laptop if they didn’t solder the ram and ssd. Apple are such faggots for doing that. I wish the Chinese can make a cheaper product to dethrone apple.

this kills the iJeet

Just what the fuck do you do with your laptops to break them or are you used to some Walmart shit? I've used tons of laptops since 2004, Apple and non Apple, and not a single of them ever had any issues in 5+ years for each.

Soldered on storage is still a con due the cost but one can just use an external ssd for large data instead of storing it on device, because you rarely need all of your shit there anyway.

>Intel celeron straight out of the 2000s
>1-2gb ram
>64-128gb hdd
Am i missing something or why are $500~ laptops so shit?
A cellphone of that same price has far higher specs and same (or higher) storage in a fraction of the laptop's size

Laptop TierList
S: Original thinkpads
A: Is there even one? No apple fags your Macbooks were never tier A laptops
B: Mac / Asus / Framework/ Tongfang
C: Lenovo / HP/ Dell
D: Acer
Only the thinkpads matches all of your requirements but there are neo modern laptops that came out that are just as good as thinkpads with minor losses such as Zephrus G14 / Framework
> Full stack developer asking for hardware recommendation on Any Forums without relying on their experience or skill
I'm guessing low tier normie NPC full stack based on info above so go for laptop especially mac if you have leftist and normie dev group or windows laptop if its balanced otherwise go desktop cuz desktops value better than laptop but you would've known it if u were a competent dev
>Vivobook with H series 35+W CPU and external RTX GPU with bad battery size lol
I just want thinkpad keyboard+light+nipple layout and 99 whr within G14 dimensions and specs asus please do it

>M1 MBA
The only worthwhile laptop on the market rn

As a guy who worked at Apple for a few years, most of these H1Bs go to slavs. A literal Polish Mafia rules the iPhone software.

what do we think of lifebooks, niggies

Attached: file.png (800x598, 596.89K)

A1466 was a good macbook if not a housefire intel or shit cooling.
LG Gram is basically A1466 but from magnesium.

Yes he‘s a massive faggot. Both semantically and syntactically.

What's a good gayming laptop for about $1200?

trackpoint buttons and no trackpoint? wth?

Lenovo Legion 5.

Has anyone heard of Iiyama? I'm in Japan and saw it for the first time. No idea about the quality but it intrigues me or some reason.

Attached: iiyama.jpg (1200x900, 66.12K)

if you're gonna buy a craptop, better buy one from asus/lenovo/hp/dell etc because getting a warranty-covered repair and parts will be easier. Not to mention it's easier to troubleshoot hardware problems because of ubiquity.

Attached: file.png (488x646, 489.07K)

I know they sell monitors but I never knew they did laptops as well. Actually sad that there arent any jap manufacturers of laptops left. I dont see Toshiba, Vaio, Fujitsus anymore except in the business space. Was completely normal half a decade ago or so. Now its basically all Taiwan, China and US companies.