/hsg/ - Home Server General

Home SERVER General

READ THE WIKI! & help by contributing:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server

>NAS Case Guide. Feel free to add to it:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Home_server/Case_guide

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a OPNsense box and configuring some VLANs. There's always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re god-tier already? Setup OpenStack and report back.

>What software should I run?
Install Gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace Netflix, nextcloud or seafile to replace Googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome self-hosted list and ask.

>Why should I have a home server?
/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. De-botnet your life. Learn something new. Serving applications to yourself, your family, and your frens feels good. Put your Any Forums skills to good use for yourself and those close to you. Store their data with proper availability redundancy and backups and serve it back to them with a /comfy/ easy to use interface.

>Links & resources
Server tips: anonbin.io/?1759c178f98f6135#CzLuPx4s2P7zuExQBVv5XeDkzQSDeVkZMWVhuecemeN6
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
labgopher.com
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/
forums.servethehome.com
List of ARM-based SBCs: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGaVu0sPBEy5GgLM8N-CvHB2FESdlfBOdQKqLziJLhQ
Low-power x86 systems: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yl414kIy9MhaM0-VrpCqjcsnfofo95M1smRTuKN6e-E

Previous thread

Attached: 1616166739068.png (1046x1248, 2.26M)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.hetzner.com/robot/dedicated-server/general-information/root-server-upgrade/
hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex42
zerotier.com/
github.com/pldubouilh/gossa
prometheus.io/docs/prometheus/latest/configuration/configuration/#static_config
prometheus.io/docs/prometheus/latest/configuration/configuration/#scrape_config
gist.github.com/weibeld/7ccc448a9ea000f23e4b83012671f2d0
prometheus.io/docs/prometheus/latest/configuration/configuration/#consul_sd_config
leftasexercise.com/2020/02/21/openstack-neutron-architecture-and-overview/
github.com/nshttpd/mikrotik-exporter
youtu.be/KjjSJJLKS_s
youtube.com/watch?v=Npu7jkJk5nM
raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/What_do_you_want_in_your_stack?
github.com/trapexit/backup-and-recovery-howtos/blob/master/docs/setup_(ext4).md
atxgeek.me/2015/05/dell-inspiron-3050-micro-teardown.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

finally got my finger out and migrated some things to google cloud free-tier, saves me paying for a vps for essentially a git server and a blog that gets zero traffic other than from me.

Attached: 1642969298247.jpg (698x734, 212.72K)

Best self-hosted mail server? Looking at Mail-in-a-box, Mailcow, Mailu... Are there others?

Attached: illuminati-symbol-freemasonry-gmail-royal-arch.gif (644x1203, 103.05K)

mailinabox is all you need. reminder to not put sensitive data on it.

Ah, looks like a server crash.

no sensitive data (bills, etc) defeats the purpose though, it's for my primary email. I'm currently using Google/NSA but looking to move since they are getting rid of the grandfathered free Gapps family plans.

>it's for my primary email.
say hi to vladamir for me. that's if your not spamlisted within a month.

>self-hosted
>primary email
I hope you don't enjoy sending emails.

Putin? I don't get it. I know about open relays, backscatter, etc., if you're referring to being exploited to getting spam sent through.

Why? I know about blacklists/dnsbl/rbl and my IPs are fine.

What provider do you use for primary email? I just want to stop using Google.

go do it and find out yourself why nobody does their own email. it's a good learning experience. sounds like you've already made your mind up.

I suggest sending test mails to accounts you have access to in gmail, hotmail and possibly o365 or whatever services you might want to make sure you reach people, if it's critical.
your IP reputation might not depend on your own actions if your IP range gets banned because of a bruteforced account on someone elses server in the same range.

oh i get it, 20 years ago i ran an email company, then i did consulting and remember the days of having to get IPs/subnets unblocked because users had viruses or whatever. i'm looking for low maintenance for myself (not other users), i've looked around at other providers like Migadu but i don't anything about who they are. basically looking for a provider (other than myself) that can be trusted to not do identity theft.

gee that must be why i asked here for input
fucking toxic board

What is the best drive for economy shucking, looking for 2TB to 4TB drives, Im willing to go 6TB or 8TB if need be but I want to keep cost low so I can buy atleast three of them on a budget

>fucking toxic board
newfag, go home

>toxic
AHAHAHAHA fucking gaywad, we're lovely

alright gaylord, you can go now

What wiki solution do you anons use?
I have some stuff that I want to move to a wiki that's currently sitting in Obsidian. Stuff like documentation, project logs, stuff I want to remember, summaries of studies, book summaries and technical documents.

I want something preferably lightweight, uses markdown (makes importing easier and the files more futureproof) and allows for file embedding (images and files). Would be nice if it's easy to host (docker image maybe).
I had used Wiki.js in the past and might go back to that, because it works alright, but its not natively using markdown and its not really lightweight.
For some reason I can't get bookstack to run at the moment, might check that out though again.
I tried out Raneto and it looks nice, but it can't embed and serve files (especially pdfs) and doesn't seem to be able to embed images either (unless they are hosted externally).
Any suggestions?

Finally a proper new thread without drama or literal shitposting

Attached: 1608329847501.jpg (750x585, 53.02K)

mediawiki is pretty comfy or bookstack if you're not needing the wiki formating and just like something to organise notes

What do you mean by wiki formating?
The usual wikipedia syntax? Or something else? Didn't think about mediawiki though, might be worth considering.

o365 in my experience is especially... esoteric when it comes to if it filters you or not. I could get gmail and basically every other major provider to somewhat reliably deliver my mails to test accounts but o365 is a fucking clusterfuck.

yep, like the syntax for wikipedia, they are basically the same in wikimedia.

I use dokuwiki. No database to manage, all the pages are just text files.
You'd have to check how image embedding works though. I haven't needed it for my wiki yet.

Dokuwiki seems great actually, no DB, image and pdf attachments, even if files other than images are just attachments instead of embeds. Giving it a try right now

What is the best way to make backups of a linux server with hard drives formatted as zfs?

Currently my files are a mess and I want to organize them, but I want to get everything backed up before I finish organizing (because it will take me months to organize).

How do different backup solutions deal with files that are the same but have been moved to a different folder?

It's pretty good on it's own but extensions make it much comfier. I use
>copycode
>indexmenu
>delete page button
>move plugin
>page buttons
>sectiontoggle
Those plus a global page template and custom theme makes for a banger of a wiki.

Im looking for something I can run OS wise on my RPi4 to turn it into a streaming platform for plex, but also Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, etc...
I tried Kodi but it had issues and couldnt get access to certain streaming services. So I thought of using an android emulator for going the app route, but was hoping to get something that had adblocking capability like adblock plus in a browser, and I was hoping to not use something like a browser on a desktop program because then its a bit harder to use with a remote.
Any suggestions?

well it has to be android based if you want those other apps

taking recs for a 6-12tb nas
options include rack server (1u), synology/qnap (but qnap is ehhh), home built (but prefer rack mount if possible)

for my use case, a ds220+ would do the trick in raid1 but at $300 its a bit steep for a 2 bay piece of shit

Attached: 05ugnm6gifx41.png (755x841, 434.25K)

Those all seem sane, any raeson you have both page buttons and delete page button? The former has a delete button feature too.
Any templates you recommend? Dokuwiki seems comfy so far, I think I found my pick.

>any raeson you have both page buttons and delete page button
Not really, delete page button was installed first, later wanted the other buttons too. I can probably just get rid of it now.
>Any templates you recommend
Honestly I recommend making one yourself, the ones I found online were bloated and wanted to fit everyone's use case. Mine is really simple, just a couple main headers and subheaders with a dedicated section for related links (local and internet). Plus line breaks between everything.
It's just easier having all that formatting done when you start editing a page, don't have to worry about testing how many equal signs are needed for a header or writing out code blocks.

What's the best encrypted cloud solution? Borgbackup would be great if it had file size obfuscation. Would something like rclone + crypt + chunker work?

>Honestly I recommend making one yourself,
Makes sense. I just realized that migrating this shit will take a while and I will have to write a few scripts, but at least I feel like dokuwiki is a robust longer term solution for my needs. Thanks again for the advice and suggestion user.

>uses markdown (makes importing easier and the files more futureproof)
>allows for file embedding (images and files).
>Would be nice if it's easy to host (docker image maybe).
Serious answer, try Emacs

Attached: Emacs with LaTeX and pictures.png (900x1010, 450.61K)

A single L2 switch and a router aren't sufficient for isolating VLANs. If you have multiple devices you want on different VLANs but are plugged into the same L2 switch, the switch will freely switch packets between them and completely ignore their VLANs. Your router will never see the packets to get a chance to enforce the isolation.

>the switch will freely switch packets between them and completely ignore their VLANs

What? No it won't unless the ports are tagged to that VLAN, that's the whole point.

Oh yeah, I was thinking unmanaged switch, not L2 switch.

Are there any home IoT things that don't connect to external networks?

Smart home electronics are almost always just spyware sold under the guise of convenience to the lazy consumer

Make your own or flash your custom firmware to botnet IoT devices. That's the only way.

>I want something preferably lightweight, uses markdown (makes importing easier and the files more futureproof) and allows for file embedding (images and files). Would be nice if it's easy to host (docker image maybe).

user, please post in /hsg/ if you find something. I write all my notes, todos, etc. in vimwiki and would love a web version of it to help slice and dice through my content

Home Assistant and whatever you make with an ESP8266 or ESP32.

This
The best part is that tons of chink IoT devices are already using ESP8266s and you can just flash alternate firmware

why can't you self-host your own email server? Hillary Clinton got away with it.

You can, it just won't work.

Best way to share drives between a Linux host and MacOS clients?

what's stopping it from working? everyone else demands a whitelist?

Nearly every ISP blocks outgoing mail, and nearly all major mail servers will reject mail from residential IPs

You'll be assumed to be a spammer until proven otherwise.

AFP or SMB

>AFP

NEAT I didn't know about it.

Probably because it sucks and nobody uses it

I think you need to use AFP if you want to do Time Machine over network (although Time Machine over network is its own can of worms).

man, ISPs and mail agents are all dicks.
so you have to buy a business-class package from an ISP just to send mail?

WD smaller than 8 TB are SMR, that's something you should really avoid. Otherwise 8 TB are the sweet spot in my country at least.
>tfw 99% of my notes are throwaway
>same with photos, deleted once they're used for the purpose they were taken
I just keep Markdown files inside Nextcloud folder, which I sync to desktop with NC client, and on phone I use Nextcloud Notes app. Wish I had a good use case for a wiki, it might be nice to have a personal knowledgebase. Maybe even make it partially public, for e.g. solutions to tech problems that I had? Kind of like what tech people use blogs for? Damn that does sound awesome.
>How do different backup solutions deal with files that are the same but have been moved to a different folder?
Restic for example has this covered by its deduplication. ZFS send probably has a smart way to acknowledge this too.
>YouTube
There was a plugin for it.
>others
For certain services there are inputstream plugins for Kodi that are interfacing with servers as if they're legit clients. The media you're playing is DRM'd, but it's inside Kodi.
Or just pirate that stuff.
Do you have any spare hardware? Some i3 or Ryzen 3, some basic mobo, etc. will handle a few drives just fine. Not sure about rack mounted cases though.
I guess you could use restic, but it was slow as molasses with Google Drive. rclone crypt was much more snappy, at the expense of just dumb uploading of entire files.
My family has a robot vacuum flashed with Valetudo, works perfect on separate SSID without internet connection. Just added NTP server on the AP for time sync.

>thesis topic about home servers got approved
very hapy

You can buy a $5/mo Digital Ocean droplet and relay all your mail through there

Rent a cheap VPS, setup postfix+dovecot properly on it. It's pretty much set and forget, maybe update every few months or so but once you have the initial setup it's pretty easy.
I've been running mine like this for the past few years with no issues.

Well, part of the problem is that residential connections generally don't have static IPs, so they can't really associate IPs to senders that well, and it might be that someone with your current IP address has already ruined its reputation.

I want to use a VPN for my seedbox (Pi 3) to avoid being zucc'd, but when it's active I can't SSH into the box. I use nordvpn at the moment and the Linux client doesn't support split tunnelling. It's also not possible to use the SOCKS proxy with Transmission.

What's the best way to achieve this? Should I just run transmission and nordvpn in docker? Or can I configure the VPN to allow the local network in?

If I setup a Prometheus server on my LAN for logging/metrics, and want to collect my data from a vps, but do not wish to open a port on my home network (even for ssh)..
I would use reverse ssh to achieve this correct?
>Inb4 Wireguard
I am aware, I'd rather use reverse ssh.

Then how does it work from there though?
In Prometheus will I simply type in the VPS public IP and the port I used for reverse ssh?
And how do I deal with auto-reconnecting if either of the connections or machines happen to drop?

I'd go the container route

>avoid being zucc'd
>uses NordVPN
>using any VPN provider but your own

>And how do I deal with auto-reconnecting if either of the connections or machines happen to drop?
Just fucking use Wireguard.

Right, I'll do that.

You can't seriously think the NSA or whoever is controlling nordvpn as a honeypot is going to admit their no logging policy was a lie, to catch someone pirating anime? I'm not downloading CP or selling drugs, I just don't want to get DMCA notices from my ISP.

>Inb4 Wireguard
>I am aware, I'd rather use reverse ssh.

Not exactly home server, but have any of you guys been hit by the hetzner price (h|k)ikes? I have, pic related.

I'm thinking taking their offer up and upgrading to an EX42 without setup fee:
docs.hetzner.com/robot/dedicated-server/general-information/root-server-upgrade/

It's i7-6700 with 2x4TB enterprise HDDs:
hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex42

I think it's a good deal. 2x more storage at essentially the same price.

Attached: file.png (626x236, 17.92K)

Yeah I'm at the same predicament as well. In your case if it's the same then might as well since more storage.
It's 5 euro more a month for me if I go with the EX/AX line. I kinda want to go with AX because AMD is faster but 2TB less usable storage. Though I'm not sure if performance matters that much, only hosting peertube, mastodon etc. services

Attached: file.png (280x62, 7.49K)

>30.98 > 33.21
That's fucking nothing, that's like 7%, mine was like 27%. Fucking kikes.

And yeah, it was easy choice for me, obviously I want more storage since the purpose of the host is just an offsite backup and service provider(like prometheus monitoring and grafana dashboard for my personal infra). So CPU usage is minimal while storage usage is considerable(see pic). So easy choice.

A weekend is a good time to do this. The install process will be a tiny bit of a pain in the ass because they don't provide a NixOS image, but with rescue image and kexec I can get it done. My main pain is having to replicate the same/similar ZFS setup I have on my original server. And as far as I know there is no simple way to export and import a ZFS pool/volume layout.

Attached: file.png (1851x606, 73.52K)

Yours is a pretty big increase. But the older CPU you had the more of a price increase you got so its just unlucky. I don't pay any VAT on those prices either so you can minus 23% from them too. So an AX/EX line is only 34 Euro a month for me.
If it's just an offsite backup then yeah storage makes sense.
Didn't think anyone used NixOS for a server. Never tried creating my own image either with them. Have fun setting up your ZFS stuff

>the older CPU you had the more of a price increase you got so its just unlucky
Yeah, that's what I thought when I saw your change. Must be hardware(and location) dependent.

>I don't pay any VAT on those prices either so you can minus 23% from them too.
I have a company too, but I don't pay VAT at all since I export services outside of EU. But I can from time to time subtract my accumulated VAT from income tax, so that's nice.
I already purchased the EX42, but they are taking their sweet time getting it up. I'm hoping to get this migration done this weekend.

I was the user from yesterday having trouble getting Nextcloud to find the dataset in TrueNAS.
As I stated, I really can't figure this out. I've been looking at guides and forums all morning. There's a lot of conflicting info.

From what I gather, the mountpoint should be /mnt/mypool/iocage/jails/nextcloud/root/usr/local/www/nextcloud/newfolder
and then in NextCloud > External Storage: /usr/local/www/nextcloud/newfolder

It verifies it, and I now see the folder on my dashboard. I see a subfolder which is correct, however it is empty.
This leads me to believe that it is an ACL issue.

However, everywhere I look online, all people say to do is set user www to have full control over this dataset.
I even tried adding www group to have full control but didn't fix so I deleted.
Also yes the ACLs are recursivly applied.
No issues accessing this data over NFS, or SMB.

Attached: 1636509786917.png (643x950, 31.11K)

>NextCloud
Found your problem. PHP-ridden piece of garbage.

Don't disagree, now tell me another way to be able to browse my files on my phone using FLOSS software that isn't Termux, or a web browser?

Yeah, and Wireguard is still the better option.

Use a file browser.

VPN(Zerotier?) + Gossa

zerotier.com/
github.com/pldubouilh/gossa

You're welcome.

Also, I'm a professional sysadmin with 10+ year of experience and I also get day where I just wast multiple hours trying to get obvious stuff to work on our NextCloud instance. Fuck that garbage.

Attached: file.png (800x641, 297.75K)

AFP is obsolete, use SMB(3+). Apple removed AFP server in macOS 11.

Attached: 4a9112b58e8d750c120bdeb095699c45.jpg (500x374, 41.28K)

Getting back around to setting up OpenStack. When they refer to provider networks, they mean an existing network is what I understand.
So you've got your internal network that's on 10.x.x.x/x that you hand out IP's to the VM's which is on the first interface.
The second interface is what kind of confuses me, what exactly does this provider network look like. Is it handled by the datacenter infrastructure or what?
Currently I have 2 networks setup in kvm, one is behind NAT for interface 1, they have IP's assigned to those interfaces.
On the second Interface I have it attached to another network but that is behind NAT as well, has DHCP running, I could do Routed but then I would have to setup IP routes on my router but theoretically I would have assumed it would work anyway through NAT. But in Linux they don't have IP's assigned to that interface (it's what the installation guide says) and it somehow connects to existing Infrastructure.
I need to setup a Provider network before I can make a Tenant network. If anyone has any ideas then shoot away, I'll probably be hacking at this for the next few hours

Attached: file.png (693x567, 101.85K)

Yeah the point is that no android apps support mounting remote file systems/these other programs. The only ones that do are on Google Play Store and are literal spyware.
Nextcloud has a file explorer, and Gallery app that are both reasonable for usage.

Why is Android so shitty?

Attached: PNG image 4.png (1125x2436, 514.77K)

Gossa works fine for me in a browser. I don't need Nextcloud.

My biggest gripe against the nextcloud app is when I sync/download shit, where the fuck does it go. When I download images I want to see it in my gallery but its nowhere to be seen

Using browser for files and especially gallery on mobile is terible

I don't disagree, a proper app would be nicer, but indeed, android is total garbage in that regard. It doesn't even have a single app with good support for NFS or CIFS, which is just tragic.

Realistically this could be done by just forking Simplemobile Tools File Explorer and Gallery apps and adding in online capabilities such as Nextcloud, NFS, CIFS support, then just pushing them onto F-Droid.

i have no experience with openstack but i dabble in kubernetes. isn't interface 2 supposed to be the IP/port exposed to the outside? doesn't have to be a public ip adress but remember the inside network is inside the openstack bubble, it's not supposed to be reachable by your internal clients. so if you run a 10.0.0.0/24 on your internal network the openstack internal network should be like .. 10.0.1.0/24 and the interface 2 should be 10.0.0.0/24

with prometheus, how exactly do I scrape data from other servers?
do I have to install node_exporter on each of those systems, then input the IP and port into prometheus?
not seeing a guide/doc on this, although I'm sure it exists if someone can point me to the right direction.

Yes, Prometheus works in a pull model, which means it fetches metrics rather than receiving them:
prometheus.io/docs/prometheus/latest/configuration/configuration/#static_config
prometheus.io/docs/prometheus/latest/configuration/configuration/#scrape_config
gist.github.com/weibeld/7ccc448a9ea000f23e4b83012671f2d0

Each service you want to scrape from needs to be defined in the config. Either statically, or dynamically though some other service - like consul - that knows about your services and can be queried for them:
prometheus.io/docs/prometheus/latest/configuration/configuration/#consul_sd_config

But that's more for bigger infrastructures that have MANY services that need scraping, and also are automatically scaled.

>The provider networks option deploys the OpenStack Networking service in the simplest way possible with primarily layer-2 (bridging/switching) services and VLAN segmentation of networks. Essentially, it bridges virtual networks to physical networks and relies on physical network infrastructure for layer-3 (routing) services. Additionally, a DHCP service provides IP address information to instances.
So essentially the second interface transfers to the Provider Network via VLAN's. It doesn't have anything to do with L3, that's mainly for the interface 1. So I'm assuming I need to setup switches to communicate with the outside?

Attached: file.png (630x558, 94.78K)

so essentially your OpenStack instance is a NATed service and the second interface is the one that is published back outside of the OpenStack bubble. interface 1 is only on inside the bubble

>order a bunch of HDD's on amazon
>they barrage me with prime shit
actually cheaper to get prime instead of paying for shipping
>get prime, order the drives, go to cancel the recurring prime membership afterwards thinking I had paid for a month
>cancels prime and refunds me the membership cost

bros did I find the loophole. does bezos know about this

Yes that makes sense, my question moreso is around how exactly do I expose the metrics from the other servers, to prometheus?

Just for example, I have an OPNsense machine. If I wanted to fetch it's data, I would install node_exporter on OPNsense itself?
What about all it's other data, like VLAN info, logging blocked stuff, etc. Like node_exporter doesn't scrape all this.

Am I reliant on whether or not someone has made a configuration that scrapes this stuff, otherwise I have to make my own?

Pretty much. Now I'm just trying to figure out how I make it so that interface 2 is actually able to connect to the outside world.
leftasexercise.com/2020/02/21/openstack-neutron-architecture-and-overview/
This guy explains a chunk of it but he then goes on to only showing how to setup a flat network. I mean for my purposes I could do with a flat network but realistically that's probably only used for dev environments to keep things simple.

>how exactly do I expose the metrics from the other servers
VPN, wireguard, zerotier, tailscale, whatever

>would install node_exporter on OPNsense itself
Metrics for different services are different. Each service either supports it's own prometheus metrics exporter HTTP endpoint, or support some other format that then you can use with an intermediate service to provide metrics in promehtues format. That usually is called an exporter. For example, I have a mikrotik router and there's an exporter service for that that logs in as a user and calls mikrotik routeros API and fetches metrics to then expose them under a /metrics endpoint itself:
github.com/nshttpd/mikrotik-exporter

>node_exporter doesn't scrape all this
Of course it doesn't. It wasn't built to scrape everything, it was built to expose host metrics to prometheus. If you want something that supports a LOT of other services and prometheus, look into Netdata. It has plugins for scraping other services and exposes and prometheus endpoint, through which you can fetch metrics for anything else it supports.

>logging blocked stuff
Logging and metrics are two entirely separate megisteria. They do not mix.

>Am I reliant on whether or not someone has made a configuration that scrapes this stuff, otherwise I have to make my own?
Yes, there are 3 options:
- service does not expose metrics
- service exposes metrics in prometheus format
- service exposes metrics in another format, exporter needed(might exist, might not)

There's a reason even medium sized companies have at least one engineer dedicated just to managing metrics scraping and graphing.

I have a tiny space left on my dashboard, what should I put here?
It's a server with jellyfin behind a reverse proxy with some other administration tools (portainer, grafana, prometheus, watchtower, 2x nginx)

Attached: file.png (1030x736, 118.68K)

Use SMB, better in every way.
For Time Machine, use iSCSI.

Am I the only one who doesnt use VPN for his torrent service?

reshapan agen
RAID5, but to 4 drives now
speed is 50 MB/s (40 MB/s in first half previously with 3 drives), maybe it does get better the more drives you put into the array
btw, can you reorder RaidDevices in mdadm? I started with drives 4 and 6 (in order of purchase), and it's kind of bothering me.

what exporters are you using?

node_exporter on the host, and a prometheus container collecting the metrics from the watchtower and jellyfin containers

how are you fetching jellyfin healthy, pending updates, and reboot needed panels?
node exporter doesn't fetch that right?

Why do some people use 2.5 inch drives for NAS?

>pending updates
>reboot needed
That's from node_exporter, telling me how many packages apt can upgrade
>jellyfin healthy
I just used the 'up' selector for the panel with jellyfin job a set up in prometheus, and then I mapped the 0 and 1 values to down and healthy. pic related

Attached: file.png (472x97, 10.5K)

space.

Personally I use 2.5" drives since they are quieter, lower power and I don't need that much storage, so having 3-5 2.5" drives for RAID5 (or 6) with a few TB is good enough.

>1u
WHIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR

i'm not really atm. i have some old sandy bridge era- stuff (proc/mobo) but i think the ship has sailed on those

yes, i already have a 1u compute node (dl360 gen8) and as long as i put the right drives in, it's quiet. but for something whitebox, 2u is fine too i guess.

Attached: Screen_Shot_20191220_at_12.42.12.png (1368x1012, 1.13M)

r8 my price hike-proof setup

Attached: IMG_20211226_215422_hw.jpg (4608x2176, 2.61M)

What's the oldest hardware someone here still runs? Has run for a long time or does because no other options, etc.
I don't expect someone with 80GB PATA drives in RAID and 100Mbps ethernet but surprise me.

Attached: 1639738780188.png (640x480, 486.71K)

>What's the oldest hardware someone here still runs?
readdit

I'm looking to ugrade my networking, but I'm not familiar with how SFP works. The plugs are transceivers that can be inserted & removed from the switch? How do I know if an ebay listing I'm looking at comes with the transceivers if all the plugs have a black cap? And why are QSFP+ so wide but only labeled as one port?

The black plugs in the switch being sold are likely just to stop dust from getting in the transceiver holes, you buy the transceivers separately. qsfp is just one port, I don't know the specifics of the standard but sfp+ is 10gbit and qsfp+ is 40gbit.

Nope.

>you buy the transceivers separately
So it's actually much more expensive than I thought if I want to fully utilize the switch, looks like $35/QSFP+ port.
Thanks for the explanation

Depends where you live, some countries are pro-piracy for personal use, some just don't have laws, you're untouchable there.

Im in America and have never got a C&D.

That's a continent, user.

and?

Attached: americaball.png (600x600, 229.6K)

What's you're ISPee?

AT&T.

I guess you don't torrent anything popular then.

So I have sorta setup OpenStack now, I'm just retarded as usual. The provider network is just what you configure in OpenStack itself. I kept thinking that I had to connect into an actual external network somehow. Now everything is much clearer
So Interface 1 is the management address which has access to the internet and it's how the VM's should get internet.
Then interface 2 is it's own isolated space for all the VM's to be created from.
I can launch instances and create networks/routers and such. The only issue is that I can't actually ping any of these instances or networks (even from the controller itself) which I don't understand. Even when I do ip netns exec as the OpenStack router I can't ping the internet or any external services. There's no mention of needing to add in any static routes and such to get it working.
Wondering if it's because I'm doing all this in KVM and it's causing something funky. Another evening going to be used troubleshooting this now

I do everything. I think the only people who get caught are retards

Are American ISPs so cucked that they track torrenting customers all by themselves or is it the RIAA/MPAA etc. lawyers tracking torrent swarms and contacting the ISPs who are making them do it?

I honestly dont know how true torrent tracking really is. The only time I can see that happening is if one uses a company or university internet, which is usually far more watched.

but at that point, the company/ university security team locks it down, it doesnt ever go to the internet company itself

> The provider network is just what you configure in OpenStack itself. I kept thinking that I had to connect into an actual external network somehow. Now everything is much clearer
I kept telling you buddy :)

If you're not hiding your IP at all, then I find that hard to believe with AT&T.

Both.

I dont know what else to tell you. Ive been torrenting for 15 years on multiple types of isps.

The truth, maybe. Torrent a new movie or game from a public tracker with AT&T washout hiding your IP and you're done for.

I downloaded the new movies that come out everytime, especially when they hit dvd. So I dont know what else to say.-

I was blinded by my frustration. I knew what you were saying and it made sense but it didnt match up to what I want thinking and made it out to be lol oh well. Now it's just determining if I wasted all this time for nothing if KVM doesn't let me interact with the network

I've got a vm hosting a few services and I want it to be available from a hostname on my LAN.

Is there anything better I can use instead of relying on my router to correctly manage the local DNS records?

BIND

Well the only thing I can say so far is twofold:
If file embeds or attachments aren't important to you, Raneto seemed nice to me. Sadly no file attachments (and thus only embedding external images) are a dealbreaker for me, so I couldn't use it.

I think I will settle on dokuwiki now, with a plugin for markdown support. No database, easy to modify, seems comfy so far. Only real downsides are pdfs can only be attached not embedded (which is fine for my use case, though I would love if it could) and the markdown plugin doesn't seem to support tables which is annoying. Also no .md file support, only .txt. Nothing that can't be fixed with some quick code though. Also depending on your markdown flavor you are used to, no wikilinks. But I just converted those too. Made things easier. Overall a lot less annoying to migrate than I thought so far.

That being said if you just want to serve a vimwiki that you are actively modifying outside of the wiki software, your best option is probably raneto. I'm just willing to switch to modifying my wiki within dokuwiki too.

Been there, but I don't love emacs personally. I understand the appeal but it's not what I need, nor is it what I want.

You don't need a home server.

Attached: cardio.jpg (1920x1058, 694.15K)

>order a bunch of HDD's on amazon
Oh dear
When I see a box with hard drives in I make sure to throw it around more than I normally do
>fragile
?que?
t. Amazon wagie

But she's so cute.

Sauce?

>see stack of 10 (ten) 3090's
>give it a good kick
oops hehe :)

How come?

Attached: 1630895233044.jpg (843x1200, 181.48K)

Good thing that decent drives always come with good packing, the average retard doesn't have the strength to break those boxes without also actually breaking the outside box, in which case I refuse to take them anyways. Not to mention, I don't know why it matters, Amazon has return and refund policies for even no reason.

>package leaking onto another box with a 4k monitor in it
Not my problem :)
You underestimate how much things get thrown around in an Amazon warehouse. If any of the drives user receive don't have smart errors I would be very surprised

>You underestimate how much things get thrown around in an Amazon warehouse. If any of the drives user receive don't have smart errors I would be very surprised
What kind of drives are you buying that don't have proper packaging? I've yet to see a broken or semi-broken drive from Amazon after ordering literally dozens.
Also again, why does it even matter when mandatory warranty is 2 years that Amazon themselves respecs without question, plus they are happy to even exchange or refund your product for literally no reason, even if it works perfectly.

I'm starting to believe people here never even ordered from Amazon, which is weird since for storage they usually are the go to for the best deals, specially in bulk.

I think I've bought all of my HDDs in the last 2-3 years from Amazon.de. Only the Seagate is showing any kind of malfunction.

No wonder, WD provides their own packing to Amazon, literally foam and cardboard spacers, while Seagate doesn't give a shit, I'm not surprised you didn't receive it loose in a box that was 3x the size of the drive.

Actually, both the WD Red and Seagate IronWolf that I got at the same time may have been in an oversized box. Can't remember for sure. WD's showing no issues though, but I've actually pulled the Seagate out of my NAS already.

SMB is MS crap

Apple cannot into NFS? Genuinely asking why it's not an option.

it can. But NFS won't work for Time Machine.

Doesn't matter, it's FOSS. AFS is Apple crap and not even FOSS, not to be confused with Netatalk.
Do you even know who are behind most of the programs, file systems and libraries you're actively using? If you're posting here, you probably have FOSS software running and in use right now with big contributions from Microsoft, Facebook, Google, Oracle, etc.

>If you're posting here, you probably have FOSS software running and in use right now with big contributions from Microsoft, Facebook, Google, Oracle, etc.
Duh, this is /hsg/... SERVER being the keyword here, who benefits most from these programs? Big controrations with millions of server or freetards?

HP Elitedesk as a media player kiosk thingie for bedroom TV I picked up for free. Controlled with a web application (with phone). Comfy.

Attached: elitedesk-mediapc.jpg (1400x1867, 333.36K)

>tfw hand pick shit that I will be keeping
>tfw they are all in my downloads folder
>tfw start sorting them and moving them and also keeping them active in deluged
>tfw have to do it one by one
>tfw still not done after hours
b-bros? i-is there a more intelligent way of doing this? my coom brain can only download and hoard. moving forward I will be sorting them via comics> doujin or comics or image set > by artist > (by series for doujins/imagsets)

I knew this was going to happen and I should have taken action sooner.

I use a rasberry pi4 as my plex client, but I have been thinking of upgrading to something slightly bigger so I can also play emulator games or browse net too. HP elitedesk may be what I want.

Any recommendations for remote server management tools? I've been running NoMachine to remote in and do whatever I have to do and FTP for file transfer, but I was wondering if /hsg/ used anything else specifically.

They are very cute devices, I saw one for sale nearby and had immediately had to consoom.

what version? specs? and whats the video output slots?

I use nomachine as well as its a install and forget solution. I tried RDP, its shit compared to it. Also, vnc for fall back situations. Ofcourse, ssh for everything else.

AMD PRO A8-8600B CPU w/ R6 GPU, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD. Video output 1xVGA and 1xDP, supports up to 3 monitors. 2xUSB3 on front, 2xUSB3 and 2xUSB2 on back, Ethernet and WLAN.

I want to upgrade my old Raspberry Pi 2B for a 4B, but the timing couldn't be any worse.

Attached: 1613963548388.png (291x573, 169.6K)

What would you all say is the best ZFS layout for 10 drives?

3TB; 64mb cache; Skyhawk; bought as a lot and have been tested good by me
Going to be in a home NAS, so storing everything from steam libraries on iSCSI to ebooks/audiobooks to family photos to etc. Deduplication will be turned on. Accessed via wifi and gigabit ethernet.

Just wait for a Raspberry Pi 5B at this point.

SSH

nix/10
what do you mean by price hike-proof?
>qr code in /etc/issue or whatever
Pretty cool. Are you the user who posted his (maybe this) app in progress a few weeks ago?
You could stop the torrents, move things by hand, then start torrents again with new paths supplied.
ssh, seriously.
*better
Get a TinyMiniMicro instead. Not that much more expensive, yet performance difference is far higher at a still low power consumption in idle.

>Get a TinyMiniMicro instead. Not that much more expensive, yet performance difference is far higher at a still low power consumption in idle.
I use my Raspberry Pi for literally only Wireguard, since I don't want to run my VPN on a device that does anything else.

?

Attached: file.png (841x654, 247.93K)

how soon will this be? its fucked up that a full raspberry pi starter set is approaching 200$ (5k-->10k Php) in cost here in flipland

Checked from UEFI setup, mines's 705 G2 but I've seen the same model numbers around with a variety of different specs.

Well Radax or someshit is coming out with the RockPi 5 sometime this year. Looking like it will have better support for modern Linux kernels (does the PI still require you to use some ancient heavily patched bullshit?).

sorry bro
i never found a raspberry pi close to msrp so I never bothered.

Fuck, you spend that per month? You never thought of just buying that hardware and putting it in your mums house or something? can break even within a year.

Hetzner has fast networks and unlimited traffic, so if you're actually using it for server purposes, putting some hardware in your mom's house might not do it.

About the only think you get a benefit from is network bandwidth, gotta think how much you really put a value on that.

When I had my Hetzner server, I hosted a web service on it and I think my record was >1 TB of outbound traffic in 24 hours.

How do you pick an ISP who will provide network quality similar to what you would get in a datacenter? I picked one that had symmetrical speeds, but there's some bottleneck on UDP traffic (OpenVPN, WireGuard) that becomes apparent after a 30 or so seconds of constant uploading. That sucks because I wanted to seed torrents with a lot of storage at home.

First deduplication is a joke. Unless you've got 1000 of the same file you have no clue about. Also it's a big drain on your ram, which is better used for other things.

You not have fiber at home? I've only got 200mb up and get close to that with just torrenting

I do not have 1000/1000 fiber at home, no. Was just easier to grab a 25€/month server from Hetzner and host on that.

Attached: Server.png (1159x572, 165K)

>deduplication is a joke
>just parrots shit he heard on reddit

youtu.be/KjjSJJLKS_s

what SMART Attributes should i keep an eye on? how often should i -t long them??

What about creating a separate network for it?
Then do the VPN at the network level.

What is meant by "routed /48" in the context of VMs?

Attached: 1643492909609.jpg (480x660, 55.72K)

>dedupe
>at the block level
>files
>not worth it
ehhhhhhhh user I...

/48 subnet of a ipv6 address range

>first vm I have ever made
>get to the install part
>have second thoughts
>delete vm
>20GB is not released by virt-manager
uh bros?
how do I recover the 20GB and use it for another attempt?

anime tiddies deserve all my hdd space

delete the disk, google the disk location based upon your os.

>Would something like rclone + crypt + chunker work?
Yes

what second thoughts?

Always assume suicide.

Are those Newegg rackmount 4U ATX chassis any good? The HDD clip system looks really jank but the price seems alright overall.

What's the defacto router at the moment? I'm considering buying a enterprise firewall/router if I can get a good deal on one, but I'm not sure if a PFSense box would serve me better but or not.

>What's the defacto router at the moment?
DIY

Hm. Are thin clients still a good option for routers? I remember they were a year or two, not sure if anything has changed though.

there is no defacto router, depends on your budget and requirements

>all these retards that got filtered by self hosted email
It's not hard.
After setting up all the extra anti spam protocols
>dkim
>spf
>dmarc
>tlsrpt
>dane
Instead of using a residential IP, use a VPS to reverse proxy SMTP back to your server in your home, you lose almost zero privacy if you do it right.
Fucking brainlets.

how did you set up your vpn on the pi? Every time I tried (to use as a torrent box like you as well) it would just never take. I'm not using NordVPN but were you able to just install it on the pi and be done with it? aside from your ssh issues of course. my current sub is about to expire and i might just switch to nord if its that easy.

they get contacted with the infringing ip and item in question. However, RIAA/BMG and some movie studios have started to sue the ISPs for infringement of their customers.

When you get reported because of the IP from the swarm, the ISP will need to stop it from happening because otherwise they are allowing repeat offenders.
The measures taken by ISPs are different, it's up to them to have a policy that is sufficient, they can later show the court (if sued) that it was good enough.

about if I am setting it up correctly if I should go back and go find a guide and read it again just to make sure I don't have to do it multiple times becaues I am an idiot

Nobody said it was hard, it's just not worth it for personal mail.
If you're paying for a vps, just pay a mailbox provider $2 a month and get secure mailbox with high availability and uptime.
remember that people on this thread, and in this board in general are not going to monitor security streams daily to make sure their mail server is secure and have the 5 9's of availability on their residential isp and consoomer hardware.

Good idea, I'll look at that.

Nordvpn have a daemon and CLI tool for Linux which makes things easy, you log into your account with oauth. But they provide VPN credentials if you prefer to configure it yourself. You can also use it as a proxy.

How did you snag it for free? Also how do I go about finding liquidation events of major office spaces and business and whatnot? I went to one about a year ago where my local newspaper shuttered and picked up a 4tb of external drives for like $30. Was not into hsg shit yet so wish I'd have grabbed the workstation or mac + switch they had for sale.

Anyone have experience buying shit like this? He has it listed literally every legit site i can think of (amazon, walmart, ebay, newegg etc) so it seems like a nice deal? I don't have any sort of case for this but do you think it would generally mount in some ITX/mATX case? I'm not picky i would probably just throw it in a shoebox for the time being.

I built an unRaid server from my old Phenom II. I've got it set up to download torrents through my VPN. It is pretty cool, except it has crashed once during a preclear and about 6 times during parity checks. Nothing shows up in the logs, so from my research I've determined it is probably a hardware problem.

I built the server from old junk, so I can't really afford to replace a bunch of stuff. I guess I'll just hope it fixes itself.

Is there any point to have the battery connected to the HBA if it's in IT mode?

Attached: 1614383170117.png (360x386, 110.64K)

>Nobody said it was hard, it's just not worth it for personal mail.
It's worth it if you care about email privacy.
>If you're paying for a vps, just pay a mailbox provider $2 a month and get secure mailbox with high availability and uptime.
And lose all privacy benefits of hosting your own email? To save 50 cents?
>remember that people on this thread, and in this board in general are not going to monitor security streams daily to make sure their mail server is secure and have the 5 9's of availability on their residential isp and consoomer hardware.
Then they are normie scum who should get out of this thread. Why bother with a home network instead of cloud providers in that case anyways, it's cheaper, and you don't have to monitor shit.

Yes.
pic missing

you bark on about privacy but how private is it having vladamir in your mailbox ordering takeaway from your bank card?
you're literally incapable of securely and reliably hosting an email server for personal use.
there's a reason why nobody does it.
You want privacy, use pgp.
Everyone here has done the whole personal email server and realised its a terrible idea, if you want to not learn from our collective experience then go ahead, do it, nobody cares.

Lot's of student apartments around here so people frequently move out and just abandon stuff, this was left by my building with a note "free to take".

if you're running a COW FS, no, there's no point in having the ram or the battery attached.

i need a basic server running matrix-synapse and a git server (please, how do i get around docker container onions bullshit), maybe an email server, maybe element-web, maybe a website, i dont know what else.
and it has to run 100% free software (including BIOS/firmware, drivers, kernel, etc...)
whats my best option for a matrix server that will have maybe a hundred people using it?
i dont really care about space but i dont have a whole room for a server. it should fit where 2 humans can find space to stand. i dont care about electricity bills either, i steal my electricity anyways.
i've never hosted anything before so i dont have a lot of knowledge, but thats easy to fix.
any ideas?

10 thinkpad T60's i have laying around, 3 in use, as daily work and shitposting machines
one running parabola
one running TempleOS
one running gentoo
all 10 running libreboot, im giving them away or sell them whenever i feel like it

youtube.com/watch?v=Npu7jkJk5nM
Linus lost 1PB of storage because he didn't schedule scrubs on TrueNAS, lmao

>any ideas?
Yeah, start fucking googling, you've got pretty restrictive requirements so should be easy to find hardware that has open source bios/firmware.
100 users matrix can be done on a vanilla install, no special requirements, as with your other apps, they are all very lightweight and can be run as default.

what a fucking retard, and retarded that nobody noticed drive failures, when they were getting smtp alerts. Deserved.

they also made vdev's 15 drives long. WHY? The recommend max is like 8.

Is it bad practice to put a filesystem on a disk raw without a partition table?
raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/What_do_you_want_in_your_stack?
>It is NOT recommended to use bare drives without an MBR/GPT, because a variety of unrelated tools assume a partition table is required, and have a nasty tendency to create one without asking. While it's not clear who are the culprits, trashed raids have been variously been blamed on Windows, Ubuntu install/upgrade, and even certain brands of motherboard!
github.com/trapexit/backup-and-recovery-howtos/blob/master/docs/setup_(ext4).md
>It's generally a good idea to format the raw device rather than creating partitions.
>The partition is mostly useless to us since we plan on using the entire drive for storage.
>We won't need to worry about MBR vs GPT.
>We won't need to worry about block alignment which can effect performance if misaligned.
>When a 512e/4k drive is moved between a native SATA controller and a USB SATA adaptor there won't be partition block misalignment. Often USB adapters will report 4k/4k to the OS while the drive will report 512/4k causing the OS to fail to find the paritions or filesystems. This can be fixed but no tools exist to do the procedure automatically.

So which is it?

Attached: __andou_mahoro_mahoromatic_drawn_by_dr_rex__585fc66cb497b0ac571bc6ebc531e782.jpg (600x750, 98.98K)

This is why I'm so glad I got my UPS's set so that it gracefully shuts my server down in the event of a power failure. A safe shut down takes 2 minutes on my server. I told you, power failures are no joke and they can easily kill HDD's. It doesn't even have to be a power failure. Just an abrupt shut down can fuck things up.

Nobody has ever managed to tell me which "tools" require it.
I always just format them without a partition table. Never had a single problem. If they are just bulk storage disks and/or part of an array, it doesn't matter, doesn't need to be pretty, needs to be clean and work.

>he projects his inability to secure his own email server
>he assumes I don't use pgp
>he thinks everyone is as incapable as him
Collective experience my ass, get good. I've been hosting my own email for 6 years now with no Vladimir or Chang and my financial information intact. Stop discouraging people from doing something that is completely feasible.

Attached: pet_russian.jpg (422x604, 47.78K)

sure you have, give us your email address then and we'll see how secure it is.

Attached: 1638732459407.jpg (657x527, 33.23K)

Is it possible to run snapraid on top of zfs?
With single disk vdevs. So zfs can handle compression, encryption, checksumming, etc. Snapraid handles parity. Then mergerfs could be used to create one single filesystem.

when you guys make jails, do you go in and add users and shit? or do you just use root? seems like a waste of effort and a pita to do for every jail unless its being used for something reaching wan or complicated.

but like say jellyfin in a jail, or Prometheus, etc.

It takes like a second to run useradd MyUser
The root user isn't a danger for your host machine but it can still fuck up your jail. In the end, it's personal preference, and you're right that it does not matter to much for a jail.

Boko no Coomer

I use root. Completely pointless to add users considering each jail I host is a separate application. Never had any issues and I have 10 jails.

Now for my VM's I do use users because I have multiple things running in them.

After fighting with Kerberos for a few days, I've finally got nfs-kfb5p working. Fucking hell that shit is rough, and I have no earthly idea why it now works. Manually editing the systemd units to set config options is fun, too (thanks, Arch!)
At least I have some semblance of authentication on this shit finally. Jesus cocksucking christ are all of the LAN file server options dogshit these days or what?

That image physically hurts me.

Bump for sauce.

>what do you mean by price hike-proof?
Power prices are going up, and will go up further. My normal home server in my mini rack is off and instead I'm using that ARM device with 2x2.5" drives.

I already have a server in my house. That's my offsite backup, and other things, like metrics collection and hosting. Also, that's like half of what I earn in an hour...

I can't believe the incompetence of these fools. Why do they still get partnerships?
At this point they must be doing this on purpose.

>when they were getting smtp alerts
I thought they set up the alerts after the drives had already started failing.

In any case, this seems like a classic case of "it's nobody's responsbility", therefore things just don't happen.

Bros, I'm a schizoid and just wrote an ansible script to install / upgrade nextcloud, rook, mariadb, metallb and nginx ingress on k3s. I still feel its not enough, I need to make rook upgrades work. Why do I make things complicated?

Attached: 1626038801010.png (364x494, 195.39K)

fuck i'm retarded. posting again in entirety.

Anyone have experience buying shit like this? He has it listed literally every legit site i can think of (amazon, walmart, ebay, newegg etc) so it seems like a nice deal? I don't have any sort of case for this but do you think it would generally mount in some ITX/mATX case? I'm not picky i would probably just throw it in a shoebox for the time being.

Attached: DellOptiplex.jpg (861x506, 79.01K)

>no android apps support mounting remote file systems
If you want SMB there are plenty. I use Xplore myself but I'm pretty sure Android can mount SMB natively in the standard files app (probably only on AOSP).

>Power prices are going up
Nordbro/Yuro?

Bro you've got like $2000 there according to ebay. Some nigger here on australia ebay buys T60s and other thinkpads and lists them for $200 a pop and he sells them every single time in short order. Don't auction them, noone will bid, but people will happily pay retarded amounts on BINs. Give me convenience or give me death

Yes, I'm an europoor making 6 digits in EUR a year and being a jew about paying a bit more for electricity.

I'm pretty sure it's media companies watching torrents and sending complaints to the ISP who just forwards them along to you. I bet the ISP themselves don't really give a shit. There was a guy that got a letter from his ISP for torrenting Ubuntu not long ago and the letter said that it was a complaint from X company.

Yeah but i wouldn't say they're a bargain anymore now that STH has made them popular. I'd look at pricing out an ITX board with an embedded CPU but it might not be cheaper anymore, shit is expensive now.

Looks smaller than ITX, also it doesn't have the heatsink/fan, keep that in mind.. this will require a lot of work to put together. Also note that the seller was confused by Dell's retarded naming, that's not an optiplex board, that's from an inspiron. Dell has used the same model number for some reason.

atxgeek.me/2015/05/dell-inspiron-3050-micro-teardown.html

give me your best cron job for SMART checks

if fdisk uhh eat balogna

I want to move away from my qnap to something DIY. Any recommended builds for a 8-10 bay server because there are no good 8-10 SATA ports MB options ? I don't have much space so racks won't fit

HBA in it mode
Get one with 2 or 4 SAS ports, each SAS ports give you 4 SATA ports

How much should a 4tb drive be worth? I am looking for two 4tb drives for my little nas but some drives cost 60€ while others cost nearly 100€ with similar U/Min. Is it just because of big brand names or what?