/aig/ - Alternative ISA General

Welcome to /aig/ - iceberg edition

ITT we discuss non-x86 ISAs from the past (6502, 68000, Alpha, Itanium, PA-RISC, PowerPC, SuperH, VAX, Z80, PDP-11), the present (ARM, MIPS, POWER, SPARC) and the future (RISC-V, OpenPOWER).

You can also ask here for more information. Don't forget to check out the wiki, by the way!

>WIKI:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki//aig/_Alternative_ISA_General

>Library:
mega.nz/file/0PplHSyL#eK_f2ZSc2f0E8_RLUGz9nVn40myXhyiRDMU_FhgO2wk

>user's Strawpoll:
strawpoll.com/py64hxj18

>OP pasta:
wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/AigOPmsg

Previous Threads: ,

Attached: 1642292390022.jpg (1580x2238, 739.7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/RaptorCompSys/status/1471557492819771396
datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/arm-would-deprioritize-data-center-and-pc-markets-if-it-went-pulbic-claims-nvidia/
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.17-MIPS
extremetech.com/computing/320815-mips-chinas-loongson-cpu-are-both-going-all-in-on-risc-v
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.17-StarFive
github.com/enjoy-digital/litex
youtube.com/watch?v=nvGjYSu90DY
youtube.com/watch?v=4Dio73_-Y5U
youtube.com/watch?v=LnzuMJLZRdU&list=PLowKtXNTBypFbtuVMUVXNR0z1mu7dp7eH
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

News:
>POWER/PowerPC
Power10 not available to OpenPOWER members - twitter.com/RaptorCompSys/status/1471557492819771396

>ARM
Nvidia tries to sweettalk regulators - datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/arm-would-deprioritize-data-center-and-pc-markets-if-it-went-pulbic-claims-nvidia/

>MIPS
To understand the future (of routers) we have to go back in time - phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.17-MIPS
MIPSy Business - extremetech.com/computing/320815-mips-chinas-loongson-cpu-are-both-going-all-in-on-risc-v

>RISC-V
StarFive goes mainline - phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.17-StarFive

>Extra:
LiteX - github.com/enjoy-digital/litex

Attached: 1630387367765.png (1298x597, 41.88K)

please tell me there wasn't another /aig/ user rapture

Attached: 1642197526974.jpg (2048x1668, 147.99K)

Surface RT tablets and OEM clones can finally run Linux:
youtube.com/watch?v=nvGjYSu90DY
Also, you can finally upgrade to Windows 10:
youtube.com/watch?v=4Dio73_-Y5U

Is it possible to run PPC Mac OS X on a POWER machine?

OS X can only boot from Open Firmware and POWER computers typically have OpenBMC.
You can run it with virtualization however.

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-03 19-24-15.png (1600x900, 757.58K)

>OS X can only boot from Open Firmware and POWER computers typically have OpenBMC.
Thanks, now I wonder if there's a way to fake OF to trick Mac OS so it can be installed on bare metal (although maybe that's just me being stupid)
>You can run it with virtualization however.
That's pretty cool, how well does it perform?

I'm fucking retarded, I just realized there's a benchmark on your screenshot.
Still, how well does it perform doing actual work? And what do you use it for?

There potentially could be, though I don't think anybody's done it. You'd have to put together some sort of shim... And hope that whatever limited set of drivers that the OS has would support the firmware.

Well his geekbench score is 1733, a hardware 2 proc MDD G5 pulls just about 761

Old garageband is still tits for instance.

>G5

I mean G4, fuck.

A G5 gets 1722 so looks like it's about equivalent.

So it's just shy of having an extra G5 under your desk under virtualization. Neat.

>fake OF to trick Mac OS so it can be installed on bare metal
Maybe someone savvy could write a bootloader à la Clover/myHack(Chameleon) that boots an Open Firmware from where you can then boot OS X. You would probably still need an OS X compatible GPU though.

>So it's just shy of having an extra G5 under your desk under virtualization. Neat.
Herr Kaiser was using a hacked KVM-PR because there wasn't a good enough release. Maybe things have improved since then.

bump before I go to sleep

>MDD G5
No such thing, you fucking poser

See you dumbass faggot

Still a fucking poser

she proly doesn't even know what poser means

YWNHave a G4 MDD sitting under your deskorBAW

bump

Can someone recommend a single board computer to build a hobby os on? Or something cheap that's sff. I already wrote something simple for x86

What do you have in mind?

The new R5 Rockchip thing.

Couldnt one repurpose the arm components of a smartphone to build a mini pc?

brothers I've recently played some Shenzhen I/O, found there were people making z80 and 6502 computers at home and watched a few videos from this playlist: youtube.com/watch?v=LnzuMJLZRdU&list=PLowKtXNTBypFbtuVMUVXNR0z1mu7dp7eH
are there enough resources online for retards like me to make a simple board with just a 6502 CPU, some ram, rom and serial port to communicate with PC? I want to learn 6502 asm and print hello world over serial

You could, if there was a way to replace the proprietary bootstrap

>bootstrap
huh

trump

>So it's just shy of having an extra G5 under your desk under virtualization. Neat.
having an extra G5 under your desk is comfier tho

because it doubles as a space heater in winter?

and it looks cool

I have a Pi 400 that I haven't had a use for until now. I use my other Raspberry Pi's in my console projects. Does anyone on this board use their Pi 400's as their main desktop PC? I'm interested in using mine as one.

I want to get a RISC V PC, but I need to wait until Chinese New-year is over.

I used a pi4 8gb for a little while at 2.1ghz. it got old fast.

>$.105/kWh/mo at idle
>space heater
I hope your family enjoys freezing

So those units don't do much together and I'm too lazy to dig up the proper units on archive.org but basically at $0.105/kWh a 2GHz dp G5 costs about $10/mo to run and equates heating a very small well-insulated room by 3°F

I don't need a high specs, but would an external SSD help? I do have one.

Are there any RISC-V PCs on the market? I thought there were only SBCs slower than the first Raspberry Pi