Asking the oldfags, how big was the hype for this match at Wrestlemania XIX...

Asking the oldfags, how big was the hype for this match at Wrestlemania XIX? I get that it headlined but was it really the draw?

Attached: D1FE2FF0-94FE-4B79-8B9C-2DCD4E767D32.jpg (625x427, 33.63K)

uhhh

Triple H vs Booker T was the draw

It COULD have been Hogan Goldberg or Austin Undertaker tier. But they buried the shit out of Angle during the invasion angle and he never recovered or was taken seriously as a top draw again. Brock lost his mojo during his botched 2002 title run where they hot shotted all of his big matches on TV with no build since Vince is a garbage booker so when he actually had the belt he had nobody to face.

It was garbage. Majority wanted to see Shawn-Jericho, Rock-Austin 3 and that was literally it.
Kurt was over the hill by this point and Lesnar was still too green for all his hype.

Not very hype at all. Kurt was never a draw and Brock didn't become one until he went to the UFC

They're the only wrestlers with non-ring names to main event a WM to this day.

I don’t think it was as anticipated as it should’ve been but they did some kino angles in the build up. The Eric Angle switcheroo bit was an all timer. But as other people have pointed out, it was overshadowed by some of the other matches on the card in the build. It’s still the best bell to bell Mania of all time. Even the shit matches were fine.

People came for Rock austin iii and everyone wanted that to close the show. Fans there at Seattle (i went since it’s close to VanCity) they told me besides that they were also excited to see HBK Jericho and Hogan again due to their fond memories of him during the 80s. The audience popped huge for goldberg’s hype video and Roddy Piper’s interference in the Hogan Vince match too, they also tried to turn Jericho face against michaels but turned back after the low blow finish, The crowd was heatless & dead for Brock Angle and this remained the same for their Summerslam bout. Nobody cared about this program, Ironically enough the fans were very into Eddie Lesnar & the Edge Brock match in 2002

Cuck Angle was never a draw and neither was Brock back then

I was at Summerslam 03. I remember the crowd being pretty up for the rematch. But other than the Chamber, the card didn’t have much else to be that excited about.

Chris Benoit

>It’s still the best bell to bell Mania of all time
Imagine believing this

>Confirmed "Nobody in wrestling was ever a draw" guy

I’m going to assume he/she/xir meant ‘everyone in the match’. Bret Hart, John Cena, and Paul Orndorf off the top of my head also main evented mania with their IRL names.

If you watch the buildup to it it was well done and angle had really good matches during his run as champ but they had done so much damage to him booking wise over the years that it just accumulated and he didn’t have the perception from the fans that he should have had. If you strictly watch the buildup to this match, from maybe around no mercy ‘02 til mania, it’s great but Kurt was made out to be a such a joke with all the cringe angles they had him in over the years that it added up and fans didn’t take him as seriously as they should have.

Sup Ojama

Funnily enough the only feud they did do well with Brock was vs Taker and that was cause he didn’t want to do the job so the broken hand thing came in to play, but they almost completely ignored it and still made brock look dominant against him which he shouldn’t have.

This, Brock Taker 1 had lots of hype behind it but the self mark carder didn’t put him over & neither did Triple Nose so they had the brand split instead of one world title which killed him right away. Brock said as much that during a old interview

Angle was booked like a complete joke in 2000 & jobbed to gaytch literally a month before his title win, which was also due to interference. He never headlined any ppv during his reign & got no clean wins at all. By the time 2001 rolled around nobody cared since they spent so much time shoving Austin HHH’s dimeless program into the main event of every show. The title was also devalued immedietely after Summerslam 2000 because once paul was out of the title picture the main event scene became more focused on Triple H bullshit with the world title playing second fiddle.

Everyone in this thread is wrong. It was hype but the majority of the intrigue was about Kurt Angle's injury. It was rumored he was injured and couldn't make Mania, so the Eric Angle switch was brilliant and played on all the rumors.