Remember the live action Ghost in the Shell movie with Scarlet Johansson...

Remember the live action Ghost in the Shell movie with Scarlet Johansson? I remember people flipping their shit about the casting. How do you feel about it? Personally, I prefer Stand Alone Complex and the original manga for the Tachikoma/Fuchikoma. Motoko is also just better written there.

Attached: scarlett-johansson-ghost-in-the-shell-hd-sd-3840x2160.jpg (3840x2160, 1.56M)

It's funny you're onto this, that's an aspect of my mind now a meme I perceived and produced, we're all in on some kind of joke...anyway yeah it's better artistically than people think and the reason people think it's bad is the dark side and it uses people and corrupts their minds to drive down the value of things in particular the host. Very good movie and if you watch closely and as an adult and not a broken child you will see the connections from the old gits and the film and how it follows a seemless creative pattern, the villian at the end is perfect. This site is just unfortunately cancerous af, to sumamrize it's very underatted but people are not creative, if it was too technical they'd miss the point, even gits sac is to me like flcl it's more creative than peopel realize and it's because they watched it in youth so they don't understand the depth of it but they have a nostalgic connection not unlike major and kuze, these stories are religions and that's why people want to break you.

The major in sac says to watch a movie you like alone and so you should because they'll just corrupt the experience, the dark side does not care.

Isn't she cannonically an Asian woman in the body of a white woman

Canonically no.
That was some dumb shit they made up for the live action movie.

also it's only 5 years old, reality is so warped you have to like wake up to it like deprogramming from a cult like Equilibrium, if you watch a movie you can safely assume it's better than you think it is just from all the criticism alone. It is at worse a very well funded fan fiction, in mgs2 I liked the alternate timeline stories as well and just that concept alone makes it easier to enjoy this type of thing because I'm more open minded.

It's my favorite anime desu.
>How do you feel about it?
Indifferent about the casting. I don't really care about the race and casting thing as strongly. Yeah, in some places it probably matters, like a historical portrayal or where the race is actually relevant (wouldn't cast a black dude as Hitler lmao), but I don't care about it in fiction or mythology or religious allegory or stuff like that.
I just never had any high hopes from a Hollywood adaptation though, and it was typically shallow and superficial with a terrible script and direction.
>Personally, I prefer Stand Alone Complex and the original manga for the Tachikoma/Fuchikoma. Motoko is also just better written there.
I don't care about SAC that much, it's nice and all but doesn't give me that cyberpunk fix that the 1994 anime does. Motoko is probably better written as a character in SAC, but I like GitS for the world more than for Motoko. I really wanted it to be done well, the detachment from one's body, the alienation, the excessive violence due to this kind of detachment and at the end still having a possibility of building an identity in a cyber connected world like that. It was fascinating to me, I would love to see a world like that portrayed with the tech we now have. It would be way more interesting than typical western cyberpunk like blade runner which is very human-focused and navel-gazey about what it means to be a human.
I was really disappointed desu, it could have been amazing but Hollywood just doesn't have the vision.

Attached: 08f64541d331bcf160ad4bda670a492a_aff80e4c9b777aafcaf120c06973e0e7.jpg (280x392, 21.88K)

>live action adaption
Those are always B-tier movies by default, no exceptions
Grab some popcorn and tequila, down one shotglass for every glaring storyline mistake and hamfisted political correctness edit you find.

and you can see the problem is just Any Forumsfags more than not, they need a shot and a jew rant just to survive the experience

It's canonical that the Major's cyberbody is caucasian and looks nothing like her original meat. Whether the original meat was Asian isn't something I think is ever explicitly stated.

Given the themes of alienation and detachment between self and body, individual and society, etc. casting her as Asian would have probably been the most wrong option.

Asian philosophy is closest to understanding this difference between individual, society, attachments to worldly phenomena and sense of identity independent from it. That is why GitS came from Japan in the first place.
Western philosophy is far too focused on the individual and everything being filtered through a person's own identity.
This is why the society in GitS even though alienating is still a thriving society, while according to western philosophy it's a hellworld simply because the individual identity is not as strong and important as they expect it to be.
Western cyberpunk is like blade runner where eveything is now barren and oppressive just because robots and people are struggling with individual identity.

>motoko kusanagi

>I remember people flipping their shit about the casting. How do you feel about it?
Ironically enough, the casting was actually really fucking good. The movie is shit, but they got that right, along with the visuals.

Not that user, but as far as I remember that was a name that was given to her when she was turned into a cyborg.

GiTS SAC is boring and dumb
its cyberpunk Law and Order but mariska hargitay walks around in a high waist leotard and a leather jacket while no one acknowledges the fact her ass is hanging out

It was a pretty good movie but not as good as the original works.

Attached: smugwojak4v2.png (640x400, 31.98K)

This bitch is ugly and was never good looking

Asians are soulless fucking bugs

They have 0 philosophy to speak of lol

U must be just as soulless minimalistic and fucking empty inside

They make the little mermaid a nig and have the audacity to complain about this lmao.

>They have 0 philosophy to speak of lol
Peak retard. What is Confucianism, Taoism, Buddhism, etc.

I heard a whole load of shit about this movie about how bad it was. Watched it for myself a couple times. Thought it was alright, no where near as bad as what I heard. I've found most people get very upset if a anime isn't a 100% reproduction scene for scene of the original when it gets a live action.
The anime and toon has been redone so many times I don't think it matters that much if it diverges a bit plot wise.

I mean for a cyberpunk movie I'd really just expect it to be an action film with science fiction-y bits painted around it, older cyberpunk stuff like New Rose Hotel was boring in it's own way but actually focusing around corporate espionage rather than action was interesting but it was such a flop I doubt anyone would ever fund making another type of movie like that which isn't just one corporation is bad guy, shoot 'em up action anti-hero tries to be hero, with minor amounts of comic relief wrapped in like every other focus group tested film in existence.

I mean it seems like the movie got shat on for the wrong reasons. It's no where as awesome for a cyberpunk movie as Hardcore Henry, but decent enough overall I don't see why people would waste their time bitching about it. Whats her tits was pretty fuckable looking too in it.