Any ivyfags here? (Or any anons that went to prestigious schools)

How was the experience like? Did you enjoy it? Did going your respective institutions help with your futures? How did you get in and do you have any tips for us?

Attached: 9C38C1AD-BB56-4FC7-9D93-15406917A3DB.jpg (301x167, 15.54K)

I went to one. I hated it, cuz almost everyone there was richer than me. It helped me substantially, like crazy lots, because it had tons of resources, money, clubs, with a low student population; so instead of fighting off 10 people for an opportunity, sometimes I just apply, go to an interview, and literally told I got the internship or whatever at the end of the interview (that is literally how I got my bio human research position).
I consider getting in that school as the number one reason why I got into my awesome career today.
How did I get in? Scheming, plotting, packaging myself in a certain way to the admission committee, making them think I will be the future leader of some field. Perfect grades and scores are a given, given I am not black.
I still look back at that moment I got in as perhaps the most important moment in my life, given that it caused a domino effect of sending me to where I am today

Are you the asian dude? (sorry if that comes off as weird I just remember everyone) my uncle went to Cornell but im a fucking idiot. How much does race factor into admission

>t.retard black kid with 2.2 gpa (sophomore)

Yeah, I am the asian dude.
Well duh, everyone knows the Ivy league level schools all want a certain percentage of blacks, so they lower the scores/activities/etc. criteria for certain WOW races.
When I was at my school, there were quite a few blacks. The most hilarious thing was, all of them were sons and daughters of big companies; they are fucking rich, and are indistinguishable from whites, except by skin color. They are certainly not going through the ghetto to find these blacks; they just get these super wealthy black kids (who probably have decent scores, I admit) to make sure their class race percentage look good

I dropped out of one of the most wealthy and prestigious universities in the US. I enjoyed the food and aesthetic, but that's about it. As a poor urban mutt who grew up around gang members and was raised by Any Forums, I just didn't fit in with the kids of the elite. Then again, I don't really fit in anywhere.

Attached: 1643459038120.gif (480x360, 1.04M)

Damn, knowing myself I probably wont ever get into one of those schools but the dream of getting into one still persists me, then I realize that their are much more intelligent people who have this very same dream as mine and been putting forth much more effort than I. Its childish of me to think this way but even so, I ask retarted questions. (You dont not have answer my question)

>what was your gpa?
>did you take any extracurriculars?
>did you take the SAT
>when can you turn shit around?
>do you need to have money to get in?

>As a poor urban mutt who grew up around gang members and was raised by Any Forums, I just didn't fit in with the kids of the elite.
I didn't fit in either. My roommate was fucking around the whole time, and at the end, got into Harvard Law. This is the type of people I was constantly surrounded by: they race yachts for fun.
I save up money to buy a 60 dollar video game. I have no idea how to interact with any of my classmates.
However, I could give a fuck less about fitting in with those rich fucks. I am here at college to fulfill my career goals, simple as that. I kept my eye on the ball, and it worked out.
Besides, it is only 4 years, so who cares

>be me in highschool
>4.0 unweighted gpa
>36 act
>national merit scholar
>sports and extracurriculars
>rejected from every ivy I applied to
This is where it all went wrong. This was the start of the downward spiral of my life.

Attached: cabanel.jpg (1244x850, 91.75K)

>How was the experience like? Did you enjoy it?
I'm currently at Cambridge for my Master's. I quite like it here. I feel very out of place but everyone is very friendly so it's not really a problem. The libraries here are really good and it makes doing research much easier. I'm in a graduate college and live in graduate housing so I don't really interact with undergraduates, which is a plus. Rowing is pretty fun too.
Still a KHHV though

>Did going your respective institutions help with your futures?
I get the feeling I've already benefitted from nepotism with my PhD application by knowing the people interviewing me. There are infinitely more opportunities to network with important people here than at my last university. The careers service is much better as well.

>How did you get in and do you have any tips for us?
I graduated with a first from my last university (ranked about 85th when I graduated), but I probably got in by having published something while I was a NEET. Your ability to do this will vary depending on your discipline.

This type of experience interests me to no end? Do you mind telling any stories, how did you get in? Any other anons are free to share as well

>>what was your gpa?
Perfect. As in, I had no Bs. I think I had one A-, and in that class, that fucking asshole teach er never gives As because he is an asshat. I took every single honor and AP class I can fit in my schedule.
>>did you take any extracurriculars?
Yes, to prevent doxxing, let's just say I built all my extracurriculars to make the admission committee think I will be a leader in some field. I started some clubs, had positions in others, did a lot of stuff. All about packaging yourself into a coherent, sexy product
>>did you take the SAT
Hell yeah, again, I am not black. I got a pretty good score, had full score or near full on all categories
>>when can you turn shit around?
I dunno. I was fucking ultra since day 1 of high school, I was determined to crush everyone and get in.
>>do you need to have money to get in?
??? If you go to an Ivy league school, they have more money than God. They will throw shit tons of money at you. I wasn't a poorfag, but because compared to everyone else at the school I was poor, I got tons of cash.
If you are poor, go to an Ivy league-like school, they will throw tons of money at you

What is your race?

This comment is very, very original

>>rejected from every ivy I applied to
Were you black? You should have chose black when you picked your race in the starting screen

I got waitlisted but my stuff wasn't even thaaaat good.

I didn't go to an Ivy League school, but at my first job the dude in the cubicle next to mine went to Harvard, and it was always funny to me how he went to this expensive school and I just went to a cheap state school and we both ended up at the same place doing the same shit.

It's pretty ridiculous how you can't just game your way into a top ivy with raw stats. The people in charge of admissions hold the course of people's lives in their hands, and they can reject people just because. It was all rigged from the start.

Attached: 1643328282884.jpg (1494x2048, 439.18K)

Actually, they have so many good candidates with perfect stats that you really need to distinguish yourself somehow in other areas, like activities and packaging yourself.
It is a fascinating ritual. I got in many years ago, and the competition is even more fierce these days

Yea my middle school teacher went to Harvard and taught in a shitty inner school city, she was really nice and a good teacher tho

>t.retarted black user

It's funny how people think top-tier schools like Ivy's are expensive when they can afford to charge students based on their family income due to the amount of donations they get. Only rich kids pay a lot because they can afford to. Poor and middle class kids pay what they can. At least, that's how it works nowadays.

almost certainly larping

What can I do to distinguish myself?

I went to UPenn. Graduated in 2017.
I honestly didn't enjoy the experience much. Any prestige you might feel is mostly gone after the first month. A lot of professors are brilliant researchers but terrible teachers, just like any college I'd imagine. Philadelphia is an extremely gloomy city but overall the student body was nice and there was lots of partying. When Trump won in 2016 though they went fucking nuts and by that point I just wanted to graduate and get the fuck out. Around my junior year I stopped talking to most people and failed to network as I should have, but the opportunities are there. I think it would be great for some people, but it just wasn't for me. I still ended with an almost 6-figure salary at a well-known financial services firm though when I graduated.

Anyway, on admissions: I came from a public school, not a feeder school or anything. The key, in addition to showing adversity in any way you possibly can in your essays, is to have a bigger purpose outside of grades. Students who try to get in these schools seem to make the mistake of focusing on their grades and SATs, when in reality, for the students that get in nearly perfect SATs and perfect grades are second nature. "Of course I got straight As in high school. Of course I got 99th percentile SATs." What you need is something else that you're proud of and that's impressive. In my case, I started an organization in my town that went into special ed. classes and played music. I was also in jazz band, marching band, taught martial arts 15 hours a week, volunteered at a nearby museum once a week, taught music in a public school once a week, and a few other things. It's just showing passion (even faking it) for something other than grades that gets you in.

I suspect you posted your ACT score because your SAT score wasn't very good. The ACT doesn't mean dog shit lmao

Anyway, not your fault at all. I had a perfect GPA and a pretty good SAT, and I got rejected from the ivy league school that BOTH of my parents went to. Then again, I didn't do any sports and only a few extracurriculars

So I guess legacy doesn't count for all that much lol. And there was a girl from my school who did go to that ivy, she was dumb as hell but had a loaded resume of clubs & activism etc.

In retrospect I'm not mad, the school that I ended up going to has been getting more and more selective every year since I graduated, because some of its programs are in really high demand. In a decade or so at the current rate it'll be like another Stanford, more selective than many ivies. I definitely feel like I learned more and met more interesting people than I would have at an ivy in any case. Maybe that's cope.

>almost certainly larping
I am not saying it was a cake walk once I got in. Far from it. I still had to do a 4 year squid game to fight off everyone else to get the career that I wanted.
I am just saying that by getting in, I think my career game turned from "hard" to "normal" difficulty, because of how much these ivy league like schools support you in terms of resources.

I'm Black, so I was able to get in just because I happened to get a 35 ACT. I also consider myself a good writer, so my essay may have gotten me in as well.

Also, nice taste lol, I've posted that image to this board a couple times so big

This user said it perfectly:
Anyway, on admissions: I came from a public school, not a feeder school or anything. The key, in addition to showing adversity in any way you possibly can in your essays, is to have a bigger purpose outside of grades. Students who try to get in these schools seem to make the mistake of focusing on their grades and SATs, when in reality, for the students that get in nearly perfect SATs and perfect grades are second nature. "Of course I got straight As in high school. Of course I got 99th percentile SATs." What you need is something else that you're proud of and that's impressive. In my case, I started an organization in my town that went into special ed. classes and played music. I was also in jazz band, marching band, taught martial arts 15 hours a week, volunteered at a nearby museum once a week, taught music in a public school once a week, and a few other things. It's just showing passion (even faking it) for something other than grades that gets you in.

I will add that, as said, a lot of students there are rich. Also like said, perfect academics has to be a given. Put a lot of passion into something else. And it helps if you can phrase your goals such that something specific at the university is necessary for you to achieve them. Like if the school has a specific dual-major management program and you know that that's perfect for the career you want, you need to say that in your application. You want the reader to imagine you fitting in that that school, so help him/her do that.

Cool bro its beyond me why all these accomplished people brows here anymore, havent they already won?

What year did you anons start your extracurriculars?

>havent they already won?
Yub, I did. Once you get in those schools, if you work hard, you will almost certainly succeed in life, as long as you focus on getting into a lucrative career (and not some poorfag job).
I am still here cuz I am a robot who does not understand basic human interactions. That doesn't mean I am not happy. Far from it. Having a successful career, tons of money, makes you very happy

I think there's a lot anons here that have academic success and maybe even financial success but lack social success, which makes them robots as well.

Attached: 1613878479157.png (236x305, 109.19K)

Where do I meet wealthy well educated people? Where do they hide?

I have a wife, one son, good salary, and enough to retire from trading crypto since late 2016 (I am currently 27). I still visit about 3-4 boards per day for hours just out of habit I've had since I was 14. It's more entertaining than anything else I know.

Music and martial arts I started from a very young age and just didn't stop. Other volunteering, like starting an organization for playing music to special ed. kids in my town, I started in 9th grade.
My "adversity" was that my brother has Down syndrome, so I talked about teaching him to read and what growing up with him was like.

I also neglected to mention that I had pretty amazing rec. letters from teachers play a part. They showed me the letters, even though they're not really supposed to, and they said things like "This is the most earnest, diligent student I have had in over 25 years of teaching."
Build a relationship with your school counselor from 10th grade at least, if you can. Talk to him about the types of colleges you're interested in and share all your volunteering with him. Keep him/her updated. If he doesn't retire, it should pay off.