I can't stand these delusional sci-fi faggots who go on about terraforming planets for humans to live on...

I can't stand these delusional sci-fi faggots who go on about terraforming planets for humans to live on. If these niggers first tried their project in the middle of some inhospitable place like Australia or some African desert, managing to make it liveable without fucking the environment and ecosystem up then okay but until then they should shut the hell up.

Attached: images (61).jpg (647x474, 23.73K)

It all starts with a vision user, no one thought we'd have lambos back when horses where the main transportation.

whole thing's pointless as fuck if you ask me. we won't have the tech and means for it for at least a couple centuries and won't see results until even later. i don't get why people get so excited for shit they have absolutely no chance in living to see

the only real home that humanity has is earth and we've been fucking that place up real bad for the last ~300 years

i wouldnt put terraforming outside the realm of possibility, its almost certainly 'doable', but it would take an inconvenient amount of time and would necessitate engineering of an unfathomably precise and global level, plus we dont really possess the technology to artificially create massive amounts of oxygen

if you ask me, we're asking the wrong questions when it comes to facilitating human habitation. humanity will not be an interplanetary species for quite some time, and ensuring that the earth doesnt become an uninhabitable shithole should be our #1 priority

Attached: joker.jpg (1200x675, 123.78K)

>God these european explorers are so dumb! Why are they venturing into the ocean to find other continents? Even if they find America they'll have to fight off the native Americans and have wars and declare independence and build something out of it it'll take hundreds of years!

they actually got to get there in their lifetimes
it would be comparable if it was a 300 year voyage and only their grand grand grand grand grand kids got to see other continents

>''A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they know they shall never sit''
Then again you are a robot so you hate society and therefore don't to decide shit when comes to exoplanet exploration.

Except inovation is growing exponentially, not linearly. And all it takes is some super AI thats a million times smarter then all of humans combined to be created and boom, you get terraformed planets in no time, granted if it doesn't kill us kek.

that proverb is nice and all but people aren't at all like that
politics, voting, hot topics, protests - all revolve primarily around the short term. and the only investment people have in the distant future comes from their kids, not some altruistic desire to benefit society.
>he doesn't know
that trend's coming to an end.
>some super AI thats a million times smarter then all of humans
we're not gonna live to see that either user
>inb4 but current ai
those are all specific intelligence. that and general intelligence are VASTLY different

that is right, noone thought
>they think; unrealistic
>oneone tought; came true
do you see the correlation?

>we're not gonna live to see that either user
All it takes is to create an AI as smart as a human brain and then it can learn by itself thousands of times faster then us, You honestly think google and all the other corps can unite and create something like that in a decade or two?

It was supposed to be "Can't unite" sorry.

you are vastly underestimating how hard that is, especially given that artificial general intelligence is very much in it's infancy and practically a completely different beast compared to what we have today. and they're not gonna unite, much less for a goal like that so that's a moot question.

Eh idk user, those google engineers and coders might do some crazy dmt and the machine elfs will tell them the secrets on how to achieve it. You never know lmao...

Attached: Screenshot_3.png (519x298, 347.39K)

6 years later, still no news about this one

Attached: Screenshot_20220201-110409.png (1080x1957, 1.5M)

Lol what this guy said, believe in the dream

33333 get plz

Let's see what it is

They did try, in Arizona, "Biosphere 2", a completely sealed giant greenhouse with a few mini-biomes crammed into it. Sadly they overlooked the massive extra carbon presence in the extremely rich soil they'd brought it (just to give them a head start with the nutrients, y'know), so microbes breaking down carbon molecules swamped the place with CO2.

Fortunately the massive concrete foundations absorbed CO2 as a rate much higher than anything they'd actually taken into account. So the one giant overlooked factor helped cancel out the other giant overlooked factor. In the end they changed their desert environment to wetland, then gave up and opened the windows. The fucking idiots, really. This was in the 1990s.

They've done better on the ISS which is much much smaller and all run entirely on pumps and tubing, all done with chemistry and electricity, no pesky "life". Any ecosystem they put on the Moon is gonna have to start off extremely basic, like a bottle terrarium. Maybe half a dozen life forms. Maybe a dozen, actually, since you're putting humans in there who are hard to balance for. But yeah fuckin' difficult on any sort of small scale.

What's stupid is scifi "ice planets" or "desert planets". Here we are on an ice desert temperate tropical ocean planet, that might be the complexity needed for life to evolve, especially intelligent life.

>the machine elfs will tell them the secrets on how to achieve it
now why would they do that?

Terraforming Australia or the Sahara are both incredibly easy, just a little expensive.
They're both below sea level, so by filling them up with water, you are immediately changing the ecosystem there massively, gaining incredible amounts of usable land.

Of course, on Mars there's really not that much water...

Kek i'm not sure i just watched too much Alex Jones.

The voyage took a few years and most explorers got extremely rich. They weren't looking for America, they were looking for a shorter route to India by going West instead of East. The world turned out to be a bit bigger than they'd planned for.