How could the greeks get so big by only eating wheat and drinking wine?

How could the greeks get so big by only eating wheat and drinking wine?

Attached: 041102C-064-BM-Hercules_taking_a_Pee_uxga.jpg (797x1200, 86.57K)

That's a nice photo of an ancient greek you have

The bigger conundrum is how ancient greek women had snakes in their hair?

Attached: D869_23_391_1200.jpg (1200x800, 98.81K)

They ate a ton of beans, some meat and fish, and probably didn't drink much alcohol since their wine was weak and used for diluting with large amounts of water. You don't need anything modern to get big. Just lift rocks or something

You know the statues don't represent reality right? you fucking idiot

Attached: 1535411110170.jpg (400x462, 25.59K)

kek

Copers are going to say that it wasn't possibly and they were all liars, but there is a significant measure of decline in testosterone since modernization and I'm sure that decline started with industrialization.

They ought to seen someone as big as those to create the statues

>I'm sure
Well if you want so much for it to be true then it probably is!

There are a lot of depictions of muscular ancient Mediterranean peoples, and the fact that the sculptor in OP knew what a muscular man looks like (even with small details like the bulging veins on his arms) proves that men like that must have existed.
Copers gonna cope but it really isn't easy to predict old testosterone levels. But it is true that people became shorter and less healthy in early industrial areas such as Manchester in the late 1700s/early 1800s, which does negatively affect testosterone

Low test levels in the modern world are almost entirely down to the obesity epidemic

they were almost certainly manlets, a 6' was considered a demigod

wasnt there some experiment done to recreate some ancient greek rowing event and a modern olympic rowing team couldn't pull off anything close to what the ancient rowers could? ive heard this is all down to olympias (the reconstructed ship) being way heavier than ancient ones were but i was curious if anyone else chalked up to their athleticism being superior

Nutrition isn't as important as you think it is. It's about effort.

Anything you hear about ancient athletes being godlike compared to modern ones is completely ridiculous. I've heard these theories but trust me it is extremely selective evidence with no context. Like for example modern historians not knowing the weight of boats. We would obviously know from ancient skeletal structures and depictions of human beings whether or not they were stronger than us today. And if there are differences due to genetics it would be odd that there are no superhuman athletes in the world today among other races (unless it was only ancient euros/meds with super strength, but I don't think any ancient sources say this is the case and they should have said this since they had exposure to people from quite far away)

The Greek diet is pretty protein rich. Lots of seafood from being essentially a peninsula jutting out into a fertile warm sea, sheep and goats kept in the uplands for milk and meat, and to a degree wild animals to be hunted. The climate, which is sunny but not too dry (again thanks to the sea, and the mountains) is very good for growing fruits, legumes, grains, and (of course) olives.
Modern Greeks are often pretty fat, mostly because they eat huge amounts of sugar, but in ancient times refined sugar wasn't available, with honey and natural fruit sugars (in season, and much less sweet than modern cultivated fruits) were all that was available, that wasn't a problem.

Nah 6'0 was just the 6'6 or whatever of its day, not like an 8 foot freak/giant would be for us. You would see men that tall here and there and think to yourself how tall they were, instead of just thinking it's a normal height man as we do today.

The average Roman centurion was something like 6'2. 6'0 probably wasn't freakishly large, there was just a bigger variance in height because of some people growing up poor and having terrible diets, or catching horrible diseases and not growing properly. That's why the average height was so low. Some people, maybe most people, were probably normal height by today's standards.

>only eating wheat and drinking wine

>Milo was a six-time Olympic victor.
>To intimidate his opponents, Milo of Croton would consume raw bull's meat in front of his adversary and would drink raw bull's blood for energy and vitality.
>His daily diet allegedly consisted of 9 kg (20 lbs) of meat, 9 kg (20 lbs) of bread, and 10 litres (18 pt) of wine.
>Legends say he carried his own bronze statue to its place at Olympia, and once carried a four-year-old bull on his shoulders before slaughtering, roasting, and devouring it in one day.

veganbros...

Most of them come from renaissance

The best athletes were usually sponsored by benefactors who would pay for their training and upkeep. There was no problem getting the proper nutrition/coaching for the top performers. I recommend reading "Combat Sports in the Ancient World" for more info.