There is nothing wrong with Morrowind combat system

There is nothing wrong with Morrowind combat system

Attached: 326156-caius_cosades2_00.png (512x512, 306.13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1PcUQQOODv0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

vanilla daggerfal is in fact perfectly balanced

Attached: 1618592237509.jpg (1200x560, 214.16K)

It would be nice if the game made it more visually obvious when your attacks missed, I feel like that's part of the issue at play when people aren't satisfied by it. Swinging a weapon into an enemy that looks like an obvious hit only for the weedy miss sound effect to play is a bit lame. Maybe just having the enemy appear to 'juke' out of the way of the attack would work.

>obvious when your attacks missed
But it is obvious, there is no "pssch" sound and enemy doesn't flinch.

youtube.com/watch?v=1PcUQQOODv0

>maybe if they just made the game more advanced it would have been better

Morrowind's combat is great.
Many, too many people haven't bothered to understand that Morrowind's fighting style doesn't lend itself to button mashing. Don't spam the left mouse button, you're not playing Oblivion or Skyrim, fighting like this quickly runs out of stamina, which affects your chance to hit. After a few attempts, you should doubt that charged shots are more effective because giving yourself time to catch your breath and regain stamina makes you hit more often. A fight based on measuring one's stamina bar should be particularly popular these days, given the usual fried air about Dark Souls.
It doesn't really take long to start with a PC with a perfectly decent, if not good, chance of hitting. Character creation allows you to create someone who is not an expert, but absolutely knows how to get by. Starting with a higher skill in Long Blades, grabbing the dagger in the Imperial Census office, attempting to attack a crab and finding that * legasp * doesn't hit easily with the weapon we have abilities at 15 out of 100 shouldn't let us think that the problem is the game. If you don't know how to use a weapon, you don't score.

correct. there's nothing wrong with it but it only works on paper (as it is literally just DnD)

In fact I did slightly mod the game myself, I replaced the miss sound effect that's a little bit more obvious.
I mean a bit more 'reactive' - like, if you swing a sword at an enemy that clearly hits but the game said it didn't, it does seem a bit lame, but having the enemy move out of the way of the attack (even if it's only visually) could probably help.
I mean, yes. It's a shame that animation modding is such a ballache. I would dig a new game that had combat similar to Morrowind's, but with the fix I describe.
Again, I think it's more the lack of feedback. Your character swings his weapon as well at zero skill as he does at 100 skill, or at least appears to.

>not trying to murder crab with 5 in weapon skill is too complicated

Correct. Sword of Mana did the same only that it had a MISS text appear as well. It's just dice rolls in real time combat. nothing special.

>Starting with a higher skill in Long Blades, grabbing the dagger in the Imperial Census office, attempting to attack a crab and finding that * legasp * doesn't hit easily with the weapon we have abilities at 15 out of 100 shouldn't let us think that the problem is the game.
but the problem is the game.
if a fucking swordmaster picks a slightly different sword is he really gonna just swing it around like a retard? no because there's little to no difference in a bastard sword and a short/long sword fighting.
go take a kitchen knife and stab a nigger. now take a dagger and stab a nigger.
notice any difference?
tldr having 50 fighting skill that don't affect each other is retarded

I prefer Morrowind and Daggerfall combat because MW combat is true CRPG combat, whenever you attack there are dice rolls and stat comparisons going on under the hood. Skyrim combat is just action combat nor RPG combat.

Daily reminder that if you prefer Skyrim to Morrowind you are a casual not a true CRPG connoisseur.

t. RPGCodex poster

Randomly-generated content truly is on of the ancient evils of video games.

just play as a mage lmao

I genuinely think it's the perspective of the game, and the expectations that follow, that leads to issues - if it were an isometric/top down RPG, people probably wouldn't be as fussed with your weapon not hitting all the time because it's more assumed that it's a CRPG, chance to hit is a thing, and what happens on screen isn't indicative of what's going on under the hood.
But because it's first person, you press left mouse and your weapon swings. Given that 99% of first person games work such that if you are in front of an enemy and left click you're probably going to hit them, having your weapon miss in such a situation feels bad.

Another red pill to swallow: leveling system in Oblivion is perfectly adequate if you concentrate on skill you actually use.

Attached: image.jpg (403x403, 52.95K)

I should get back to my current playthrough, I was playing a custom class focusing on H2H and short blades (but no stealth). Just punching and stabbing people.

I love Morrowind, but I feel like it's getting less and less playable every year. Mods fall out of use or just get lost to time, new buggy programs crop up to replace old ones and scattered updates of mods leave piling incompatibilities.

It's getting more and more annoying to just pick it up, install some basic shit, and play the game.

Literally nothing about Oblivion is "adequate". Every single line of code is a failure of game design.

Yeah, it's fine, you just have to keep in mind that it was made when dice roll RPGs were the big thing.
Archery having a chance to miss is dumb as shit though and is the reason I never played archers in any ES prior to Oblivion, though.

There is.
NPCs strike at long intervals while the player can attack at least twice before the NPC makes another strike. Same with spellcasting.
It undermines the skill system by relying more on direct player input than character skill level.
The combat's flaw is it breaks immersion

I've heard others say the same

The only time Morrowind combat can kinda feel like it's stacked against the player and verges on not fun to engage with, is when you're level 1 and have a shit weapon that you have little or no skill in. And if you somehow take Long Blade, but decide you want to use Spears and only have 10 in Spear, then yeah it's gonna feel like shit.

But once you're over the initial hump of being a penniless, skill-less chump wearing rags and you've actually got some health and can take a hit, you've got some armor and can absorb some damage, and you've got some magic to keep you safe and hopefully a weapon you've got a few levels in, everything is smooth.

If the question is "Why can't I step off the boat and conquer any enemy in the game", you might as well ask why you can't kill the Firelink Cemetary Skeletons are level 1. The answer is obviously, because they fucking outskill you.

No there definitely is something wrong with it. It's trash. The game is good despite its shit combat.

I think the best approach is making the combat behave like Daggerfall where you have to use your mouse to swing, but every attack almost always hits and deals a meaningful amount of damage.