Would Steam still have the same success if it wasn't shipped with HL2?

Would Steam still have the same success if it wasn't shipped with HL2?

Attached: steam-2005.png (830x1190, 218.9K)

People played HL2 and the other games despite Steam.
It was a poorly working game patcher that you had to put up with for years.

No /thread fpbp check my numerals the game

bump

i wish modern web pages were that information dense

Probably. Steam was hated as fuck when it came out, but you had half life and counter strike on it, so people put up with it. Without popular games on it, it would have never survived.

Seems to me like The Orange Box was a much bigger factor to Steam adoption than the HL2 release (as big as it was).

SOUL

Jesus, look at all the shit you got for the special edition packages. These days the 90-dollar whale edition gives you like 3 skins and an equippable for +2% damage

Attached: file.png (896x351, 65.75K)

>we will never get this back

Attached: gordon.png (1280x913, 956.04K)

>half-life 2 hat
first time I hear about such thing, any pics? or is that just your average headcrab beanie
>trip to valve
no way any of these "chances" are ever legit

>HL2 also had a physical CE which included CS source & HL source for only slightly more than the normal edition

SOUL

Attached: 1923039_17c89322e4_z.jpg (640x480, 71.04K)

christ this UI is disgusting.

The original bloated DRM launcher

>Would Steam still have the same success if it wasn't shipped with HL2?
steam was a dumpster fire for the first years, green steam era was just non stop having to restatrt the client 400 times because registry blob was missing, then of course you had hl2.exe has stopped working. orange box helped it along much more and by then the client wasn't quite as garbage and hl2 didn't crash with looping sound quite as often. steam was also helped by ea and ubisoft making even more abysmal launchers which to this day is still an amazing feat of its own. ubi launcher didn't get remotely usable until like 2015.

Just your standard merch hat

Attached: e3tiutecvtg41.jpg (3024x4032, 1.54M)

in my country nobody used steam at all besides internet caffees. It was around 2010 when game started having OBLIGATORY installation of steam when you buy a game physically. Thats when I started pirating everything non online. Steam was and is still shit. People who think there is anything good about it are legit mentally ill consumers. Brainwashed to the core

would have been better if it was just the lambda in the circle with no text or 2 but of course merchandise has to made to advertise instead of be cool.

Yeah I remember The Orange Box being kinda a turning point.

>silver gold bronze half life 2
wtf was that?

While it might look cooler you have to remember that the gays co-oped the lambda. So unless someone knew what Half Life is the majority of people you'd come in contact with over such a hat would most likely be homosexuals.

read the thread nigga

you think im going to read 21 posts??

>the gays co-oped the lambda
What the fuck? I never heard of this. In what context? I hope they're not coming for the phi next.
t. physicist who isn't a homo

>the gays co-oped the lambda
What?

But user, think of the poor phonefags!

Did you forget about the time Any Forums went and got a valve tour on gabens birthday.

Nah, it's actually holds up, especially well for the time.

Some gay activist club in new york used is as their symbol in the 70's and it spread as a icon amongst the gay community after that.

>Cyber Cafe Program
bros...