Why were the Souls games so successful?

Why were the Souls games so successful?

Attached: Demon souls at locked 60 fps with ultrawide.webm (1000x418, 2.85M)

Word of mouth for DeS, plus unique online components that industry people talked about and also spread the word
Good marketing for DaS1 plus on more platforms

At the time, third person combat was trending towards Batman AA style shit. Witcher 2 did it, Shadow of Mordor did it, AC was all over the place but was kinda similar in the camera zooming out slighty and then you push left stick in the direction of an enemy and your character will auto target them. So being surrounded in all of these games isn't an issue because of the camera plus the way attacking works.

>no handholding
>no pseudo-cinematic garbage shoved down your throat every few minutes
>excellent art direction
>rewards exploration

dark souls 3 was the one with the good advertising
Most people did not hear about dark souls before dark souls 3

They allowed casuals to have the illusion that they were playing some super difficult game.

That's bullshit retard zoomer

because they had sovl

Because they had a pro-left message that resonated with zoomers/millenials.

The entire PREPARE TO DIE marketing for DaS1 was fucking huge.

action adventure rpg that is not dogshit is actually rare as fuck

it was a very well made medival ARPG with a nice difficulty that everybody with IQs above 90 could enjoy.

Attached: 1643456219088.jpg (689x720, 297.31K)

In 2011 IGN of all places had a huge article saying Dark Souls was better than Skyrim

no it wasn't and you sound gay as fuck

Because they were good videogames made with the honest goal of providing fun and enjoyment to people who love videogames.

Because they are what vidya strive to be and never manage to do right.
You are your own hero fighting forwards in an oppressively bleak world. Your very own epic.
It is very old timey, like a 2d adventure game. You don't reload and old save if you fuck up, enemies aren't level scaled, there's not a bombardment of cutscenes. You go to level 2-1 and fight and explore your way through the fire level and beat the boss at the end. Then you go to 2-2.
Many features are cryptic, some MMO-like (without being a gay MMO), which makes for a unique experience you don't get anywhere else.

Attached: 1553254188540.jpg (324x538, 36.91K)

I finished the first Dark Souls recently and it was okay. I didn't think it was anything all that amazing.
But then I'd also heard a lot of hype about it so that probably messed with my expectations.

It came out right at the time when youtube gaming was huge and went viral because of it's unusual difficulty. In some way I think DS1 has introduced many people to japanese vidya in general.

LOL fuck off zoomer

>punishing combat
If the games didn't have the reputation of being difficult then they wouldn't have stood out at all.
>interesting world
Exploring all of the secrets in souls is one of the best parts. Finding a shortcut to Firelink or going through an invisible wall is always neat.
>build diversity
Shouldn't need explanation. Playing through the same game is often more fun when you can do it as a different kind of guy. Also nice to know you don't have to just be a dude with a sword on your first time.
>minimal handholding
It was very refreshing playing a game that didn't throw a tutorial in your face every 2 minutes.
>multiplayer in a genre that doesn't often have it
Getting invaded is a unique experience. Invading someone else is better.
>going multiplatform after DeS
More potential buyers is good.

Great series 10/10 can't wait for Elden Ring.

Attached: tumblr_b3dafe4454be80863850267a1f230b36_e1160361_500.gif (454x255, 2.46M)

>

Attached: file.png (2048x1536, 1M)

Somewhat good combat and level design. And a good challenge that actually makes you engaged, but not frustrated. That's enough, the bar is that low.