My honest thoughts on DMC5

[1/5]

Nero is awesome. Back with a vengeance from his previous appearance, he gets to keep everything and more. He’s carved his own unique style of gameplay, pushing the player to get better and getting the power they need to beat the odds. Thanks to all his execution-based mechanics he’s become the ultimate “get good” character, and a worthy protagonist for the series.

Breaker’s not being switchable is good. The arms are balanced around the breaking mechanic, being complex enough for you to play around with but not so much you’ll be gimped without them. It’s a system that rewards the player for being daring and having mastery over it but never puts them at risk for not doing so; it’s perfect for both this series and Nero.

V is wonderful. He puts a completely new spin on the gameplay, unlike many previous characters which felt like more of the same. He has his own rhythm and strategy to combat, being less about execution or variety and more about playing it safe and making the right moves to overwhelm enemies. There’s less finesse to him, but it’s accounted by the sheer amount of destruction you can unleash with him if you know what you’re doing. There’s definitely more than meets the eye with him and for a first go at this type of character, they did a superb job.

Dante is the best playable character in an action game, period. He is a marvel of game design, the culmination of nearly twenty years of videogame history. His switching mechanics are at their peak, making everything in his arsenal a powerful tool both as a piece and on its own, and it all comes full circle with his Sin Devil Trigger. He is wonderfully accessible, but his sheer breadth invites players to make use of the full range of his abilities. It truly allows the player to make a legend come to life when playing as him. He’s everything he should be.

Attached: 1.jpg (3840x2160, 2.79M)

[2/5]

The character switching enhances the experience. It keeps the campaign fresh and does it without resorting to gimmicks. Unlike previous games at no point does this one feel padded or overstaying its welcome. Combined with the separate maps for missions, it allowed the story to be told in separate order and follow various characters, so that it could then coalesce into the big moments of the plot.

The level design and environments are great. They’re filled with dozens of little details that makes replaying them and stopping to look around fun. The city feels like a real city, and even inside the tree there isn’t a single level that plays or looks the same. There’s no backtracking or platforming or item hunting to waste your time, just great combat. The cameo system is a nice addition which makes them feel livelier but never gets in your way. The separate levels make for excellent replays, giving you solid chunks of time with each of the characters.

The enemies are the best they’ve been in the franchise. They all have unique abilities and strategies for the player to experiment with. They aren’t hard only because it’s expected of them to be. The game makes full use of having multiple enemy types all at once with prioritizing enemies and knowing their specific strengths and weaknesses vital for both survival and style. You have to focus on more than one enemy at any point, but it never feels like you’re just beating one after the other just for the sake of it. The enemy design shines brightest in Bloody Palace, also the best one in the series, with a great difficulty curve which never tries to ruin the player’s fun.

Attached: 2.jpg (3840x2160, 1.9M)

[3/5]

The graphics and aesthetics are perfect. Not only does the game have an amazing level of graphic fidelity, but the photorealism really brings the characters to life. The game is constantly playing with high brightness effects and light sources to communicate things to the player and it looks great on top. The animation work is top notch, there’s dozens of details both in cutscenes and in gameplay and the characters’ body language alone communicates so much. It truly feels like what the franchise always wanted to look like, combining dark and horrific environments with fully human characters braving through them.

The free camera only adds to the experience. It makes all the situations the player comes across feel natural, rather than staged like with a fixed one. It also allows the player to frame the action how they want, giving an extra oomph if you learn to control it as you play. There’s also a bunch of tricks that are done with it, both in and out of combat, to make it feel all that much more reactive and make the action more visually impressive.

The music is godlike. Not only is the OST huge and incredibly varied but the character themes fit their respective heroes perfectly, truly immersing you into the action. None of it feels by the numbers, and I’m surprised whenever I hear how good something that’s playing in a random cutscene is. The boss themes fit just as well, stand-outs for me being Cavaliere Angelo’s and King Cerberus’.

Attached: 3.jpg (3840x2160, 1.42M)

[4/5]

The style ranking system is genius. It’s elegant in its simplicity, pointing the player towards high level play, but never forcing it on them. As a result players are made aware of how much they can do with the game, being rewarded with huge amounts of interaction and replayability. The game makes becoming better at it its pure focus, it truly feels like an arcade game, but with all the benefits of modern gaming. Everything, from its level design to its combat system, exists to support and be supported by style ranking. Unlike previous games the mission scores are finally focused purely on performance, which makes replaying always rewarding as your growth as a player will be reflected in how the game grades you.

The difficulty strikes the perfect balance. The standard difficulty is introductory and doesn’t push the player more than it needs to accomplish that goal. Instead it gives them tons of new abilities throughout so that they’re engaged with the mechanics rather than just trying to beat the game. Later difficulties ramp it up, but not to the point it’s so hard playing isn’t something you’d want to do regularly.

The length is exactly what it needed to be. It’s so rare to see a game of this quality and this size nowadays which doesn’t feel compromised by some attempt to make it feel longer than it should be to justify its price with an arbitrary number of hours clocked. It’s still a game that you can finish in an afternoon, but not one you’ll go and forget. It leaves the player wanting more which, rather than a negative, speaks to its consistent quality. But if you replay it, like it’s meant to be, it never stops being as fun as it was the first time.

Attached: 4.jpg (3840x2160, 3.3M)

[5/5]

The story is amazing. It delivers on so many fronts, from giving more depth to Vergil’s character, to Nero growing into his own and finding his family, to Dante finally getting his well-earned happy ending and healing his wounds from the third game. The decision to spilt Vergil into Urizen and V was pure genius, allowing the character to reflect on his own actions and showing parts of himself he never could. It not only manages to perfectly juggle multiple main characters, but also incorporate parts of the whole franchise into it. It’s not ashamed to present itself as a long-standing series, not boxing itself into an easily digestible package, but the plot is still tight knit and to the point. For new comers, it’s a starting point into a much larger series, while old fans will enjoy all things from previous games they’ll see. It’s a sequel, and it’s fully proud of being one, and makes good use of it. It’s happy to comment on previous events or fulfill broken promises, rather than change things for the sake of it. It’s not only good as a stand-alone story, but it makes the story of previous games better to boot.

For me it’s a 10/10. The definite Devil May Cry experience, a classic in its own right and the best action game I’ve ever played.

Attached: 5.jpg (3840x2160, 1.31M)

Based and DMC5pilled.

what was even the point of including lady and trish in this game? they could have been cut completely and nothing of value would have been lost

Because if they hadn't appeared people would be wondering why they were missing during such a crucial fight instead.

No Lady means no Kalina Ann and no Trish means no Sparda and no Eva. Plus there doesn't need to be much justification to their appearance when it's the fifth game in the series, they're just part of the cast.

Glad you liked it. I think it's not as perfect as you make it out to be, and yet still the overall best DMC game by far.

No Kalina Ann for Dante if no Lady, no Sparda for Dante if no Trish. Also the game was fan service game so had to include them. They gave them a little bit of depth and their interactions with V, Dante and Nero were done well. The ending sort of serves a purpose too, they have to now move on from Dante. 20+ years for Lady and about 15 for Trish and they basically just bum it around in his office and do dead end jobs.

>The ending sort of serves a purpose too, they have to now move on from Dante
>implying Dante isn't coming back in Devil May Cry 6

This is Dante's series. There is no DMC without him, no matter how hard they try to shill Nero and Vergil

Attached: 1640819487887.jpg (1280x720, 97.55K)

I didn't mean Dante's gone forever but Lady and Trish sort of stick around and lounge around waiting for Dante. Then they start making plans to have DMC for themselves and then Morrison gives them a job. They move on from saddling themselves to Dante all the time.

Inferior to 2

They already had three playable characters, with Dante at his best, Nero heavily improved and V as a new type of play style. Some think a lot of work on Vergil was done too. Six characters would be too much. SE was done a shoestring budget as always and Covid fucked up their production. Lastly, Lady and Trish don't have much going on and are basically parts of Dante split off.

They might have wanted to do it, but I'm sure they knew it was less realistic. It was a lot easier to convince the higher ups to let them do Vergil since there was so much more demand for them.

>>Nero is awesome. Back with a vengeance from his previous appearance, he gets to keep everything and more. He’s carved his own unique style of gameplay, pushing the player to get better and getting the power they need to beat the odds. Thanks to all his execution-based mechanics he’s become the ultimate “get good” character, and a worthy protagonist for the series.
LMAO
>Oh shit bros I had to hit a button while I hit a button
SO HARD!
< BUT MUH GAY HAND TECH
They do 20 (20) damage per hit
>BUT MUH GAY KNOCKBACK NEGATION
Oh fuck I saved less than a single second pulling the enemy back to me so SKILLLED
SICK SKILLS BRO!
>But muh magic hands! Muh risk/reward!
OH SHIT
FUCK
ANUS
I JUMPED
NOW ITS 0 RISK
I CAN DO MORE DAMAGE AND STYLE THAN MOST MAX EXCEED MOVES IN 1 BUTTON PRESS
FUCKING SKILLED!
ROAR
OAR
AHHH
FUCK!
BROS!
IM SO BFUCKING GOOD AT VIDEO!
GAME!!!

>V is wonderful.
HAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAHAH
HAHAHAHAhAHAHHAHAHA]
oh fuck
haha
HA.
HAHAH
Fuck
AAHAHAHA
oh
fuck
that's a good one
haha
ohhh
fucking 'ell
haha

>>Dante is the best playable character in an action game, period.
Agreed. DMC3 Dante is the best. Glad you stopped spouting lies. I appreciate that, and you, my friend.

>His switching mechanics are at their peak
Ringaring ringwrong, big man is wrong.
>What if We (WE) tie better versions of his moveset to being in sword, even the basic triangle attacks, in DT or with a buff up
AMAZING I LOVE BEING PUNISHED FOR NOT BEING IN SWORD STYLE EVEN IF I'M NOT USING SWORD STYLE MOVES
10/10 I fucking KNEEEL

>>The level design and environments are great.
Sorry I can't hear you. Could you get from behind the GIANT FUCKING TREE?

>>The enemies are the best they’ve been in the franchise.
Maybe if you want glorified punching bags you brainletto burreto.
Best enemies in the series are in 4, then 2, then 3.

>>The free camera only adds to the experience
Worst part of the game.

Attached: 1006919044-H.jpg (1024x700, 58.62K)

5's writing is abysmal, and V needs way more moves to feel good. Playing him on DMD is a chore and painful
The artstyle also sucks shit

The most amazing thing about the game is that it's still DMC, 11 years later. It's not a bastardized version of what came before, it isn't a reboot, a remake or anything else. It's just DMC, which I didn't think it would happen after DmC.
Anyway, the game is decent, not a masterpiece and not even the best in the series. V is a waste of a character, and Nero is ok, but I'd prefer if the series stopped with multiple protagonists. No one gets fleshed out this way.
The enemies have technically the best design in the series. They have damage zones, interesting gimmicks, multiple phases, a good variety of attacks. Too bad they are as dumb as bricks and can't do jack shit to you while airborne.
The bosses are ok, too easy and too similar to the DMC4 bosses design wise but still pretty good all things considered.
The character's moveset is better balanced than 4 and more fun to play around, but there are still some OP attacks and other useless ones, where this should have been fixed after 3 games for Dante and 2 for Nero.
The level (not visual) design is good, perfectly suitable for an action game.
DMD is a joke. No stun values, no Hate meter for the enemies (or at least, nerfed a lot from 3).
Some cool shit is still stucked in DMC3 for some reason, guess they are too lazy to implement it again, despite the fact that it's already there.
7/10.

Attached: 1635731386469.jpg (1024x411, 50.55K)

>I'm just gonna double check
>S rank extra picture is lady facing off vs a bunch of death scissors
I doubt it overall, that they planned for these 2 to be playable, but lady makes me feel like at some point in the early EARLY development days (when I assume coop and cameo were a bigger deal) they might have considered maybe a sort of TF2/overwatch style roster (nero dante v vergil lady trish, that's 6 characters; if V was female like in 1 of the very early concepts, that'd be 3 male and 3 female playable characters).